Introduction

lumiina

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Rachel. I'm hearing, interested in Asian Deaf cultures, as well as American Deaf culture, and am learning Japanese Sign Language. I saw a post on here that asked why people read the forum and don't post and though... oh my, I do that. So I thought maybe it's time I join.

I'm moving to Japan in a couple of years with my husband, so my focus is JSL. I'm not studying ASL, but have picked a little up from videos. Please don't mind me. I like learning from everyone's experiences.

As for about me, I like learning languages, Japanese history, reading manga, playing video games. Kind of a geek (^_^).

Happy to be here and meet everyone!

Japan has a wonderful culture, it is so clean and the people there are very respectful. My friend told me that where he lives, there are parts where people have plexiglass garage doors so people can show of the fancy cars they have inside. There is no need for worry because nobody breaks into the houses!

A lot of people travel around on very expensive bicycles and scooters as well, and nobody feels the need to lock them up because of the respect for other people's property.

You are very lucky.

shame that Japanese history (early 20th century) is just as bad as Nazi history.

Oh wow. I'm sorry!

pretty much every Chinese and Korean family has grandparents/ancestors have gone thru it. The Japanese occupied Korea for 30 years. a very painful bitter memory. it's no surprise that our elders still hold bitter grudge against them. that's why there's not many Japanese cars/products in Korea but younger generations are more tolerant.

the American nuking Japan twice is nothing comparable to what Japanese did to a huge portion of Asia especially China and Korea for over 50 years.

Wow Jiro, I'm sorry again. I don't know enough (barely anything really) about Japanese/Chinese/Korean history. I need to go to the library and start educating myself. Typical American failing I guess.

Hi Rachel! My dad lived in Hapan when he was really young, he loved it. Welcome to AllDeaf!

Japan has a wonderful culture, it is so clean and the people there are very respectful. My friend told me that where he lives, there are parts where people have plexiglass garage doors so people can show of the fancy cars they have inside. There is no need for worry because nobody breaks into the houses!

A lot of people travel around on very expensive bicycles and scooters as well, and nobody feels the need to lock them up because of the respect for other people's property.

You are very lucky.

I feel a lot safer in Japan than in America. Something I'm looking forward to.

shame that Japanese history (early 20th century) is just as bad as Nazi history.

Yes, it's really a shame. It's absolutely awful what Japan did to China and Korea and other parts of Asia. For instance, the comfort women from Korea and other countries, women who were forced to sexually serve Japanese soldiers during the occupation. Just absolutely awful.

Present day Japan has its problems too, and I've heard that Japan-born Koreans and Chinese still face discrimination in Japan today as well. It's something that I'm very aware of, and hope changes with the coming generation. Japan is becoming more diverse (there are more and more children who are half Japanese; more celebrities that are half Japanese; entertainment boom from Korea in Japan), and I hope that means that Japan's becoming more accepting.

Hi Rachel! My dad lived in Hapan when he was really young, he loved it. Welcome to AllDeaf!

Thank you Mandy, and everyone else, for the welcome! That's awesome that your dad lived in Japan for some time! What part of Japan did he live in?

We all know you're going to disappear anyway so who cares?

We all know you're going to disappear anyway so who cares?

Never mind, it's okay. I may disappear and I have no intention on how much I will or was going to post on this forum, so you're perfectly right. I introduced myself because of that one thread about people who read but don't ever post. I actually try to stay away from doing things in English, since I immerse myself in Japanese throughout the day. So, I don't usually go on forums in English. I was kind of breaking that for this forum. I thought I could get educated on Deaf studies in a forum like this, especially when Deaf studies in America is a lot better than in Japan, according to a friend of mine.

Back