Introducing ME!!!

HearingLady

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Stephanie, I am 24 years old and I am hearing. I have been trying to teach myself ASL for about 3 years now. Its a very slow process. I figured the only way to truly learn a new language is to practice it. So I'm hoping to learn more about the Deaf Community as well. I really appreciate you guys being so patient and welcoming. thanks!:ty: Looking forward to meeting you all.

Welcome, and hope you find what you are looking for here.

Why are you studying ASL? Do you have ASL-using friends or family, or do you hope to use it professionally, or thought it would be an interesting skill to have, or what? I'm just curious. (Not an ASL-user myself.)

I figured the only way to truly learn a new language is to practice it.

You are damn right. I loved learning foreign languages in school (I am HOH and can hear just about) but then it turns out that there are lots of rules in society - both informal and formal - which are not easy to learn on one's own. It turned out that I can read but not "speak" (i.e. hear someone else and reply) foreign languages. I must say, in retrospect, that the only good experience was learning about foreign cultures.

If you want learn SL, then of course it is right as long as you feel that it is useful.

Welcome, and hope you find what you are looking for here.

Why are you studying ASL? Do you have ASL-using friends or family, or do you hope to use it professionally, or thought it would be an interesting skill to have, or what? I'm just curious. (Not an ASL-user myself.)

I have no one in my family who uses ASL, I've been fascinated with ASL since I was in college and I have wanted to learn a new language. its two birds with one metaphorical stone. :)

You need another ASL student and do the practice by talk each other without voice. it can help improve. Do not try and find deaf until you're ready.

Otherwise, you can learn some from me....
ASL Emotion with Expression - YouTube

Wow...those were definitely facial expressions. A lot. LMAO. Yeah, I was hoping to find another student at least for a little while. But I've been studying on my own for 3 years. I just want to get the conversational aspect down.

Back