Intra-Uterine Device (IUD)

Giulia

Reaction score
Hello everybody
Since I found no matching topic, I create this one.

What is anyone's experience with IUD ? I had no chldren, but I can't bear any progestative birth control pill, and combinated ones (oestroprogestatives) are forbidden (told me the ENT doc).
So what is your experience with IUD ?

Thanks for your reply

I had an IUD put in after my Second child. For 6 years. It was a ten year copper IUD. Then it was removed.

After that I decided to get my tubes tied due to my age and not wanting more children.

Are you considering getting one, or do you already have one??

I had an IUD put in after my Second child. For 6 years. It was a ten year copper IUD. Then it was removed.

After that I decided to get my tubes tied due to my age and not wanting more children.

Are you considering getting one, or do you already have one??
I don't consider having children yet for 2 reasons :
1) I have no fiance, I am currently studying and living with my mother
2) the most important reason, I may lose my hearing if I get pregnent.

So I consider having an IUD because BC pill with oestrogens is forbidden for me (told me the ENT doc, it's oto-toxic) and progestative BC pill prevent me to sleep.

Thanks for your reply :)

How can pregnancy will cause your hearing to go?
If I were you I'd ask for 2nd option. To see if that's true or just crazy speculation.
And I'm on progestrone only bc (depo provera shot) and I don't see any "insomnia" as side effect and I sleep like a baby.
Also its not end of world if you did lose your hearing, I don't think its worth it to keep what's left by not having child, what do you have to look forward to? You probably will lose your hearing no matter what because there's other thing, aging. When you get a lot older your hearing goes away.

I told it the why and the how in the topic "Adoption", so I won't repeat myself. Yes, I seek a 2nd, and even a 3rd opinion, and they concord !! So it's not pure speculation...

And your speech is very shocking, because I study languages and hearing is fondamental when you study languages. Shocking because it's not sure if I will lose my hearing as older, as long as I protect my hearing.

And, to finish, side effects vary from person to person, and insomnia is a rare side effect I conciede, but it exists and I did have it !!

I thought you have to had a child before you get IUD....at least that's what the doctor has told me, you can only get IUD if you had children before. It's not recommended for those that hasn't had a child before.

But here's a suggestion, you can get Patch....that is easy and it's what I'm using at the moment. I used the patch for almost two years now and it's really peaceful. It doesn't really mess up my hormones and you only have to change it once a week and then you leave it off for a week for you monthly period to come.

Hi Kaelei
I thought you have to had a child before you get IUD....at least that's what the doctor has told me, you can only get IUD if you had children before. It's not recommended for those that hasn't had a child before.
That's not what the ANAES (Autorité NAtionale d'Evaluation de Santé) told in its report. In France (I don't know for the US), you have the short size, precisely for women who didn't have children yet.

But here's a suggestion, you can get Patch....that is easy and it's what I'm using at the moment. I used the patch for almost two years now and it's really peaceful. It doesn't really mess up my hormones and you only have to change it once a week and then you leave it off for a week for you monthly period to come.
The problem is that it's still hormones, and how sensitive I am to meds (the less dosed BC pill prevent me to sleep, it was Cerazette, don't know if it exists in the US), the doctor told me better to avoid it.

I have an IUD. In America, they will not place one unless you have already had a child and are in a monogamous relationship.

:wave:
I made some research, and even the WHO says that IUD is not contraindicated for women without children. Let me just to put the hand on the links....

Back