insurance requirements

ecp

Reaction score
You guys have got me interested in CIs and I did a bit of research to see whether I would benefit from one. My last audiogram was right at the borderline (my insurance says the PTA must be at least 70db) but my hearing loss is progressive and I know it has gotten worse. The only problem is that my insurance says, "Member has limited benefit from appropriately fitted binaural hearing aids. Limited benefit from amplification is defined by test scores of 40 % correct or less in best-aided listening condition on open-set sentence cognition (e.g., Central Institute for the Deaf (CID) sentences, Hearing in Noise Test sentences (HINT))."
The thing is, I usually do pretty well (around 60-70% in best aided conditions) on the speech tests but the real worls isn't best aided condition and I really think that since my hearing gets worse every year (at my current rate I will be completely deaf in 5 years) it would be good to do something about it soon. Especially since I will be going into medical school (god willing) in 2 years and being able to hear heartbeats would be nice (though there are a few profoundly deaf doctors who use other methods to check heartbeats).
Any thoughts/advice? Are the guidelines flexible? How much does insurance pay? (I will only be covered under my parents' insurance until I graduate from college next year).

I'm going to talk to my audiologist about a cochlear implant. Last year she brought it up but suggested that I wait until technology gets a bit better (she said something about CIs not providing much bass sound).
Does the CI ever stop sounding "quacky"?
Is it worth it?

I'm going to talk to my audiologist about a cochlear implant. Last year she brought it up but suggested that I wait until technology gets a bit better (she said something about CIs not providing much bass sound).
Is it worth it?

I can't answer your insurance question as I'm not in the US but I just wanted to say that what I hear doesn't sound "quacky". I've watched a Donald Duck movie and it doesn't sound lke that :giggle:

People often report quacky voices in the first week or so after activation, but then notice that sounds become more natural as they go along. Remember, the first "map" (CI program) is very crude compared to what you'll eventually end up with. On the first map, the dynamic range is typically pretty narrow. Then as it gradually increases, you will notice an improvement in quality in what you hear.

Is it worth it?

Er...is it worth it? Oh yes, indeed it is worth it and I had my CI done two years ago (Freedom). The technology is doing very well these days to make it worth anybody's time. Is it perfect? Of course not! But it isn't bad either. I hear the whole gamut of sounds and listen to music all the time. I'm one of those that speech was no big deal and use the phone all the time as well. For all around everyday hearing, it does a superb job in my book.

When a CI can provide down to 200 hz (depends on how far the implant goes in the cochlea) and the lowest people hear is around 20hz or so, it isn't something to sneeze at. You aren't missing much.

Speech didn't sound quacky at first for me. It was different at first but I rapidly adjusted and was hearing and understanding people fine day two. As the mappings changed and my brain adjusted, it just got better and better.

5 yrs

I am 37 and after a few years of hearing loss, I am deaf. When I got to 70dcbs it didn't take no time. Don't want to scare you but, it might not take that long and you should definitely be planning now. I'm waiting for insurance aproval to have CI done. Anyway, good luck:fingersx: .

but my hearing loss is progressive and I know it has gotten worse. The only problem is that my insurance says, "Member has limited benefit from appropriately fitted binaural hearing aids. Limited benefit from amplification is defined by test scores of 40 % correct or less in best-aided listening condition on open-set sentence cognition (e.g., Central Institute for the Deaf (CID) sentences, Hearing in Noise Test sentences (HINT))."
The thing is, I usually do pretty well (around 60-70% in best aided conditions) on the speech tests but the real worls isn't best aided condition and I really think that since my hearing gets worse every year (at my current rate I will be completely deaf in 5 years) it would be good to do something about it soon.
Well, one thing you could do, is talk to your audi, and see what they say about experimenting with alternative hearing technology. Everyone is very indivual, and who knows? Maybe another brand might really help you better, then your current brand. You gotta remember thou, that technology cannot serve as a 100% substitute for regular hearing.....technology will never fully equalize your hearing to that of functioning like a hearing person.
Talk with your audi.......make sure you're not just thinking "Oh I gotta have the latest greatest gadget. After all, the latest gizmo is the best."
CI hearing is amazing yes...........but it does have its limits.
You could go and get evaluated for it............I know people with MILD losses who have been referred for an eval.
Do you have tinitnuas or recruitment? Those are generally really good reasons to get an implant, despite "good benifit from aids"

Talk with your audi.......make sure you're not just thinking "Oh I gotta have the latest greatest gadget. After all, the latest gizmo is the best."

I'm definately not the gizmo type. I've just been warned by my audi and my ENT that my hearing loss will get worse (it is genetic. there is really no way around it) and they have always brought up cochlear implants. I always had the attitude that CIs are good for some people but why should I get one when I've always known ASL. But recently I've reaalized that getting a CI would not really change me too much. Being deaf is part of me (I've always had silent dreams but everybody in my dreams knows and uses ASL...if only the real world were like that) and a CI wouldn't change that but it might help level the playing field in medical school. I've got brains and determination but unlike the little engine that could (sorry I work at a preschool...we read that book recently), no matter how hard I try to hear a heart beat or an arrythmia or sick lungs I won't be able to.

I'm definately not the gizmo type. I've just been warned by my audi and my ENT that my hearing loss will get worse (it is genetic. there is really no way around it) and they have always brought up cochlear implants. I always had the attitude that CIs are good for some people but why should I get one when I've always known ASL. But recently I've reaalized that getting a CI would not really change me too much. Being deaf is part of me (I've always had silent dreams but everybody in my dreams knows and uses ASL...if only the real world were like that) and a CI wouldn't change that but it might help level the playing field in medical school. I've got brains and determination but unlike the little engine that could (sorry I work at a preschool...we read that book recently), no matter how hard I try to hear a heart beat or an arrythmia or sick lungs I won't be able to.

You may be able to continue your insurance through COBRA after you are too old for your parents plan. Whatever you do, do NOT go uninsured. Once you have a gap in your insurance, pre-existing condition limits kick in even with group plans where once you do get new group coverage, you may have to wait up to 18 months before they cover your implant. And forget about a private health insurance plan taking you, if you do get private insurance, you'll probably have to waive your right to treatment for hearing impairment to get coverage.

If your loss is known to be progressive, sometimes you can get insurers to accellerate their requirements -- good arguments are that you will get better results if you do the surgery sooner rather than later, with a shorter rehabilitation time, which will be cheaper for them.

FYI, there are definitely special stethescopes that HI people can use. They can send the sound over Blue Tooth straight to your device. So don't let that little detail stop you !

Sheri

That is very good. I could tell you weren't one of those "latest" gizmo types.....It is refreshing to see someone who's like that! And I mean it does sound good for the future. I know that CIs are supposed to be awesome for progressive losses.

You may be able to continue your insurance through COBRA after you are too old for your parents plan. Whatever you do, do NOT go uninsured. Once you have a gap in your insurance, pre-existing condition limits kick in even with group plans where once you do get new group coverage, you may have to wait up to 18 months before they cover your implant. And forget about a private health insurance plan taking you, if you do get private insurance, you'll probably have to waive your right to treatment for hearing impairment to get coverage.

If your loss is known to be progressive, sometimes you can get insurers to accellerate their requirements -- good arguments are that you will get better results if you do the surgery sooner rather than later, with a shorter rehabilitation time, which will be cheaper for them.
Sheri

thanks for the insurance advice! my annual hearing test is coming soon and i will definately talk to my audiologist.

and deafdyke: thanks. i'm glad i could be refreshing.

Back