Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

The second formant for "ee" is over 2000 hz, that is why he can't distinguish that sound from others.

Also, I asked my daughter's SLP, who has been in the field of aural rehab with deaf kids for over 25 years, "What percentage of people who get CI's hear WORSE than they did with hearing aids?". She looked at me and asked "If they are wearing it, and getting their MAPing, and it isn't broken?" I said "Of course", and she answered:

"NONE!"

She said that each person gets a different result but that it is NEVER worse than what they had with hearing aids. She said because if they could, they wouldn't be a candidate, and that it works that way because a CI bypasses the "broken" part of the ear so you no longer rely on the damaged or missing hairs.

She said that the young implanted CI kids are now doing BETTER than kids with moderate losses and hearing aids. She says that they never have to do catch up, because they don't fall behind.
Oh, I see...
Thanks for your reply.
The point is that it is pretty common to get opposite answers to the samequestion. This is upsetting and make vary difficult to go for a rational choice...

How can you tell? Deafness starts at 70db HL!
Well, he was examined by ABR and the diagnosis is 95db or worse. He gave no wave V response. Basically he is profoundly deaf in the frequency range covered by ABR (500-2500, more or less).

Why so little amplification? That won't cut it at all. I was aided to 35db with a 100db loss in 1998.
Do not ask me how much gained was programmed in the HAs initially. Their idea is a number of programming session to gradually go up withamplification, to avoid bad reactions from him and the refusal of HAs (pretty common in small children). At the time of that audiogram, besides the amplification set, he reacted at that levels of stimulation. From that time the amplification has been increased significantly and we are going to have another audiogram in two weeks. I'll let you know! ;)

Then you need more amplification, especially for the left ear. It's a good sign that he can hear even the "ss" sound. He may be hearing better than you think even with less than optimal gain.
The left ear is already more amplified than the right one. It is almost to the limit of the HA.

Scan the audiogram here for us to observe and learn. Is his audiologist going to fit him with more powerful HAs, perhaps the same Phonak Naida V UP HAs I have? Transposition should also be tried as well.
I will share the new audiogram, which will represent closely his actual situation.
He actually is fitted with that specific model! He has Phonak Naida V UP jr.
They will try transposition once we will identify with certainty any cochlear dead zone... It is very difficult with so young children, they cannot explain how they hear...

Can he speak clearly and read lips? My parents said I learned to read lips at a young age and got speech therapy to speak clearly. If you met me, you wouldn't even know I am deaf unless I told you. That's because we are just as capable! HA/CI are just tools to access sounds. The real training is in our brains!
No, he does not speak yet, besides some very simple words, mostly onomatopeic. He is (we are) doing speech therapy three times per week and slowly showing some improvements in the sound perception at the moment...
And you have no idea of the time we devote to him at home..

The odds of CI being better than HAs for a 100db loss is fairly good, but many people still do well up to a 100db loss with HAs, I am living proof of this.
I know that. This is what push me towards considering CI. But I also know there are some people doing great with HAs and this cause my concerns...
Anyway, my impression (pure impression, no data) is that an average CI user can be comparable or better of the most of good-optimal HA users... You are a great performer, but you base your speech understanding on lipreading mostly.

If you are looking for speech access, I had that with lipreading combined with hearing the sounds of voices. No one could tell I was deaf unless they saw my HAs. Lipreading is not inferior, just a different way to access speech. I would only implant a child if he had no residual hearing so he can at least gain access to sounds that no HA could.
I know a woman, completely deaf, she does not use HAs at all, she relies completely on lipreading and she speaks perfectly. You cannot tell she is deaf until you try to call her when she is not looking at you.
I mean, I know he can be perfectly happy with HAs, without, just signing, etc... I will love hime anyway, he is my child and I think he is the most wonderful child in the world. I simply want to do my best for him. I am trying to have crystal clear idea before making any decision.

Then he will have to wait till he's a teen for stem cells to be mature and FDA approved. By then, he would be old enough to decide if he even wants stem cells or is happy the way things are. Some Deaf people don't even consider their deafness a disability and don't see a need to have it "fixed" by CI nor stem cells.
It is probable that he will really have the possibility to get stem cells in the future. Maybe he will be adult, but after all in 20 year he will be 22, still very young and that technology will be out at thet time probably... Fortunately it will be his own decision at that time. I will support him anyway. I am ready to do everything for him, also switch completely myself to sign language, no problem.

Why are they still testing on mice if stem cells have proved safe and effective in people worldwide???

perhaps that the scientific or technological advances are not the same as what countries. I think that China is moving more, I have read that in China is an Asian giant forward ... For example today is a world leader Beike that even scientists captured the Western world, as we recently read, scientists trained in American universities even. In any case the information is daily, we must caution that although it is actually implemented in human beings we must be cautious. It's a daily effort.

perhaps that the scientific or technological advances are not the same as what countries. I think that China is moving more, I have read that in China is an Asian giant forward ... For example today is a world leader Beike that even scientists captured the Western world, as we recently read, scientists trained in American universities even. In any case the information is daily, we must caution that although it is actually implemented in human beings we must be cautious. It's a daily effort.

OR people who believe that it is being done on human everyday are WRONG!

Returned? Then it must have been normal at some point. Limits the possibility of candidates, doesn't it?
It is, as the case of nerve deafness. We know that many deaf poslocutivos ie many deaf people have been normal at some point in their lives. For example, deafness from ototoxic drugs, such as lost hearing after two years, but before two years have been normal. As to limitation, it Beike many cases of deafness seems to me as the forums in Chinese ... Have to see.

It is, as the case of nerve deafness. We know that many deaf poslocutivos ie many deaf people have been normal at some point in their lives. For example, deafness from ototoxic drugs, such as lost hearing after two years, but before two years have been normal. As to limitation, it Beike many cases of deafness seems to me as the forums in Chinese ... Have to see.

It excludes an entire population of deaf.

OR people who believe that it is being done on human everyday are WRONG!

I guess the delay is also influenced by the blocking of Bush stem cell research. Thus China, for example Beike is a world leader in stem cells. According to economic data.

It excludes an entire population of deaf.

no, I do not think that I read on a web forum Beike it has also tried to deaf from birth ... failing to confirm. I believe that stem cells covering the whole deaf population, if not mistaken.

no, I do not think that I read on a web forum Beike it has also tried to deaf from birth ... failing to confirm. I believe that stem cells covering the whole deaf population, if not mistaken.

No. That is not what she meant at all.

And you guys really need to separate theoretical and practical in your heads. Also medical field from business field.

Contractictory. Your link specifies, "returned to normal". That implies that the hearing must have been "normal" at some point in time. That restricts to the adventitiously deafened.

No. That is not what she meant at all.

And you guys really need to separate theoretical and practical in your heads. Also medical field from business field.

I suppose it is difficult to do as there is no practical side as of yet. It is all theoretical. But there doesn't seem to be an understanding of the concept that just because it looks good on paper.....

Contractictory. Your link specifies, "returned to normal". That implies that the hearing must have been "normal" at some point in time. That restricts to the adventitiously deafened.

to see, this case is a case of deafness, there are many kinds of deafness, and this is one of the cases, and each world is deaf and as noted Beike stem cells act according to what people. Not all deaf people are equal, depends on many factors, determinants, etc ...

to see, this case is a case of deafness, there are many kinds of deafness, and this is one of the cases, and each world is deaf and as noted Beike stem cells act according to what people. Not all deaf people are equal, depends on many factors, determinants, etc ...

Which is exactly why you need to stop promoting stem cells as a wide spread treatment for all deafness, and resrtict yourself to proven results on specific types of deafness and the many extraneous variables that must be considered.

I suppose it is difficult to do as there is no practical side as of yet. It is all theoretical. But there doesn't seem to be an understanding of the concept that just because it looks good on paper.....

Well... even loyal followers of any political ideologies have a hard time separating practical from theoretical. So not surprising.

But they really need to separate the medical aspect from the business aspect, because everything is basically anecdotes of what some biotech company says.

Well... even loyal followers of any political ideologies have a hard time separating practical from theoretical. So not surprising.

But they really need to separate the medical aspect from the business aspect, because everything is basically anecdotes of what some biotech company says.

Agreed. What we are seeing submitted as "evidence" isn't even theoretical, if we are to be exact. It actually is a hard driven advertising campaign.

"Are the research standards in China at the same levels as in the west?

The fact is under everybody’s eyes: the “asian giant” is running at an impressive rhythm, in all fields. Shenzhen Beike Biotechnologies, its hospitals and its laboratories are a bright example of such a technologic renaissance. Not many are aware that China has the most researchers with PhDs in the world. It’s because of the affordability of hiring educated researchers in China, that many of the leading five hundred companies -including Microsoft- have set up large research facilities in China.

But stick to medical matters, and let’s speak about those who have been studying stem cells since a long time: they have a lot of experience in bringing lab research into hospitals. What abroad still is “mere theory”, in China it’s something absolutely “practical”, i.e. clinical applications that are already helping thousands of people. We daresay that as far as stem cells are concerned, China has long time reached a level that West -for several reasons- is still far from achieving".

source: Beike Europe - FAQ

"Are the research standards in China at the same levels as in the west?

The fact is under everybody’s eyes: the “asian giant” is running at an impressive rhythm, in all fields. Shenzhen Beike Biotechnologies, its hospitals and its laboratories are a bright example of such a technologic renaissance. Not many are aware that China has the most researchers with PhDs in the world. It’s because of the affordability of hiring educated researchers in China, that many of the leading five hundred companies -including Microsoft- have set up large research facilities in China.

But stick to medical matters, and let’s speak about those who have been studying stem cells since a long time: they have a lot of experience in bringing lab research into hospitals. What abroad still is “mere theory”, in China it’s something absolutely “practical”, i.e. clinical applications that are already helping thousands of people. We daresay that as far as stem cells are concerned, China has long time reached a level that West -for several reasons- is still far from achieving".

source: Beike Europe - FAQ

The answer to your first question is decidedly, "No." The standards are not the same, nor are the ethics guiding those standards the same. Therefore, reporting of any results must be viewed in light of that.

Back