infant with CI speech therapy

I didnt say hearing parents. I said hearing parents of hearing kids do get a speech therapy.

For deaf kids to get speech therapy if deaf parents want them to continue the speech therapy. Sure.

I don't know what you mean here: "hearing parents of hearing kids do get a speech therapy"? Are you talking about it being common for adults to get speech therapy for themselves after they have children? Or for hearing parents to arrange for speech therapy for their hearing children? I think it's not at all uncommon for hearing children to have some speech therapy in the early grades. I remember friends "going to Speech" a looooong time ago when I was a kid and I know that the majority of SLPs treat far more hearing than deaf kids.

I didn't get speech therapy, myself, when my daughter got her 1st CI at nearly 2. Neither did she.

I don't know what you mean here: "hearing parents of hearing kids do get a speech therapy"? Are you talking about it being common for adults to get speech therapy for themselves after they have children? Or for hearing parents to arrange for speech therapy for their hearing children? I think it's not at all uncommon for hearing children to have some speech therapy in the early grades. I remember friends "going to Speech" a looooong time ago when I was a kid and I know that the majority of SLPs treat far more hearing than deaf kids.

I didn't get speech therapy, myself, when my daughter got her 1st CI at nearly 2. Neither did she.

Pardon my english. It's little hearing kids who gets speech therapy.

Found an interesting quote..

“I learned that one could not simply hang a hearing aid on children and expect them to develop hearing perceptions normally.
Instead the children continued to act as if they were deaf. Sound was meaningless.
When the children were encouraged to use lipreading or signing, they continued to be visual learners and ignored sound.

I came to realise that one did not have to teach deaf children to look but instead one had to teach them to listen.
A hearing aid gave more hearing, but listening had to be learned.
I had to make sound an important and meaningful part of everything the children were experiencing."
Doreen Pollack

I had often "wondered" if a deaf baby made sounds whenever it cried....(and I still don't know for sure).....?...Feeling also that a deaf baby is more "visual" than a hearing baby....
You're joking, right? Of-course deaf babies make sound when they cry! Hole moly...

You're joking, right? Of-course deaf babies make sound when they cry! Hole moly...

Some deaf people who don't hear anything or don't/can't wear HAs don't know that. "Hole moly ...." -- you're being unbelievably RUDE.

Some deaf people who don't hear anything or don't/can't wear HAs don't know that. "Hole moly ...." -- you're being unbelievably RUDE.

Thank you....I'm profound deaf, so I wouldn't know if a deaf baby was crying unesss I looked at the baby or picked him/her up and perhaps felt the vibrations.....and I was thinking also since the baby was deaf and had not heard anything, then would not be vocal....perhaps crying without any sound......

No. The brain will do that without therapy.. Just like any other child.
They would have little to no delay in speech, as you can read in the articles.
So, speech therapy might not be needed, at least not because they started hearing late. Perhaps because of other reasons, like hearing children get speech therapy.
I doubt it. A lot of dhh kids still require extensive speech therapy whether they are ci or ha kids. Some do not, but many do.

And from what I recall overall. Most kids still require extensive special Ed support up to and including speech therapy.

I once worked in a school district where deaf children did not get speech therapy-- three kids that I knew of. Two ended up going to deaf school all the way across the state for high school.

I would say she was referring to whether babies actually makes a noise when they cry. She wasn't referring to who would actually hear them cry! Yes deaf people don't hear them cry, I can't hear them cry without my aids in or if I'm not in the same room as them with my aids in.

I once worked in a school district where deaf children did not get speech therapy-- three kids that I knew of. Two ended up going to deaf school all the way across the state for high school.

Now that's a really good point to bring up. A lot of times school districts cannot provide stuff beyond very basic accommodations....even today. matter of fact, did you know that most speech therapists have more training with aphasia, then with how to teach dhh kids?

Thank you....I'm profound deaf, so I wouldn't know if a deaf baby was crying unesss I looked at the baby or picked him/her up and perhaps felt the vibrations.....and I was thinking also since the baby was deaf and had not heard anything, then would not be vocal....perhaps crying without any sound......[/

RR...I can't hear my new goddaughter cry even if I am holding her.

Back