Improved Cochlear Implants

Interesting article dated June 30, 2010. Of more relevance- have they passed on this info to the 3 Cochlear Implant companies? Their response to date?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

have they passed on this info to the 3 Cochlear Implant companies?

Researchers will present their findings about the new device at the 11th International Conference on Cochlear Implants and Other Auditory Implantable Technology in Stockholm, Sweden June 30 -- July 3.

Nah, I think they want to keep the info to themselves. Maybe make big bucks selling their own CIs.

Did you read the article?? Don't you think the 3 CI mfrs would have been at the conference?

Yeah read the entire article. I assume the professors are being "funded" by someone.

Seems likely that their "results" might be considered in future models if feasible. Isn't this called research which is ongoing?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I heard about the thin film electrode array a bit more two years ago and so far I have not heard any CI companies coming out with one and I am sure they are looking into it. There may be some short comings of this array we do not know about. I am sure if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages the CI companies will come out with a thin film array.

The numbers of electrodes is not the only thing that affects sound quality. The article mentions that it can be inserted deeper. Keep in mind that the distal end of the cochlea is where high frequencies are produced. Beyond 3kHz there isn't much speach perception going on. Most speech perception is done between 750hz and 3Khz.

More hearing devices (whether hearing aid or CI or anything), since limited in power and signal processing capabilities, have focused on improving speech based communications. Improving sound at 12kHz may be nice for someone into music, but it comes at a high cost (battery life, electronics size, etc) for a feature that is not used by many people or very often.

C1

I heard about the thin film electrode array a bit more two years ago and so far I have not heard any CI companies coming out with one and I am sure they are looking into it. There may be some short comings of this array we do not know about. I am sure if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages the CI companies will come out with a thin film array.

All 4 CI companies uses electrodes made from platinum. Platinum is used (and very expensive) based upon it being one of the most cathodic (noble) materials available. This is very important when current is passed through a metal exposed to the body in a localized manner (high current density).

C1

The numbers of electrodes is not the only thing that affects sound quality. The article mentions that it can be inserted deeper. Keep in mind that the distal end of the cochlea is where high frequencies are produced. Beyond 3kHz there isn't much speach perception going on. Most speech perception is done between 750hz and 3Khz.

More hearing devices (whether hearing aid or CI or anything), since limited in power and signal processing capabilities, have focused on improving speech based communications. Improving sound at 12kHz may be nice for someone into music, but it comes at a high cost (battery life, electronics size, etc) for a feature that is not used by many people or very often.

C1

i thought the apex was the lower sounds... am i wrong on this??
*EQL*

Back