I'm not even sure if this is where this post belongs but....

I agree with you (in the bold words i edited) I was talking to my friend yesterday about how i was frustrated with my parents about something. She's hearing. She knows very little about CI's. and then all of a sudden she says this: View attachment 17038 View attachment 17039 And the way she said That's why i have implants.. it made me mad because after being my friend for 4 years she should know by know that my CI's doesn't give me perfect hearing. Everybody thinks the CI's are a quick fix, and a way towards perfection. I even asked her if she noticed that i have a hard time understanding people on the phone. (I rarely use the phone) she just said yeah but i don't think she really cares either. so whatever.

:ugh: I get the same crap re my hearing aids. I just get really tired of the ignorance. Or refusal to understand the reality. :roll:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support. I don't think I really care that my mother doesn't believe me. I know the truth, I know what's going on, her opinion really doesn't matter anymore.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support. I don't think I really care that my mother doesn't believe me. I know the truth, I know what's going on, her opinion really doesn't matter anymore.

Yeah! You go, girl! :) You know that we're here for you :hug:

Now, if only I can remember what you just said and apply it to my situation with my parents...

As a hearing mother of one profoundly deaf child and one mild to moderate hoh child, stories like these are crushing. As a parent, I do not want to miss a thing with my kiddos. I want to be able to have full, sensical and non-sensical, conversations with them, whether in ASL or English. I figure if I am going to make them learn English, it's only fair for me to learn ASL. Also, people react differently to life changing news. Some people are bottled up, some eventually adjust, some just go with it head on, some are emotional, and some just never lose that fear of the unknown. (I'm relating to what I have learned from knowing other mothers with extreme identifications and diagnosis.)
How long has it been this way for you? Maybe she is still working on feeling comfortable in the new normal. Really, I'm not trying to make excuses for her making you feel like dirt and then lying about it, because that is inexcusable. You deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. Whether your mom ever adjusts or not, whether she ever learns how to communicate with you or not, you do not deserve to be belittled or lied to.

Last edited:
Have you been evaluated for the cause of the acquired deafness?

Do you have a professional who could speak to your mother about the implications and what it means in your life and future?

Bottesini has a good point. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it looks like your doctors have told you your deafness was acquired as a result of your recent treatment for pain from the car accident, is that right? Given that you have become deaf as an adult, your mother may not be aware of the full extent of your injuries or the impact it's had on you unless you share your medical records with her. If my mother didn't already know some ASL (my daughter is deaf from birth), I suspect that I told her I had recently become deaf it would be a pretty long time before she started making the accommodations yours already seems to be doing (flashing lights, texting, using ASL).

Hello everyone. My name is Brigette. I'm 19 and I'm Deaf/H.o.H. (Deaf in my right, I can only hear muffled sounds in my left) I was born hearing so I'm having a pretty hard time adjusting to this. I was in a car accident not too long ago, after I was off all the pain killers I noticed my hearing wasn't as good as it used to be. A few days later I couldn't hear out of my right ear and my left one is getting progressively worse. I've known ASL for a while now but I'm having an extremely hard time with sentence structure. So if anyone could help me with that I would be very greatful. Thanks for reading :)

I am sorry you endured this. Being "late deafened" myself, lacking knowledge of the culture which I now am trying to embrace, it is a challenge. Feeling like I am between two worlds. I DO get very tired of people who really have even less insight into the deaf culture than I do, telling me how it should be, what will help me, the "oh, use one of these", "take this vitamin, it is GREAT for your hearing" or any of the other crap that seems to be on the lips of the experts that have NEVER endured this.

I believe each of us is different. We have different backgrounds, the onset of the loss, be it at birth or whenever. Everyone adjusts differently. I have seen on here people such as myself where the late onset is in conjunction with an event or accident. Each circumstance is unique, each person is also. I seek knowledge, insight and I respect those who have so much wisdom in this arena. I am now five years into this, at times I feel like I am at day one still.

To dismiss what anyone is enduring is wrong. You are NOT that person. Each one is going to handle it in their own way. I could never pretend to understand your emotions each day, nor do I expect anyone to understand mine.

A little respect goes a long, long way.

Back