I'm hearing and new...interested in the deaf

kathaiti

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i am new to this page. I am hearing and know very little sign langauage.

I took ASL classes last year at Dominican college and i thought it was pretty interesting to learn that the deaf actually have a culture...

I read the book Train go Sorry by leah cohen and learned about the first uprising of the deaf students at Gaulladet University in Washington during the 80s...

Oh, there was also another uprising at Gallaudet this passed weekend...did anybody see it...the students wanted their principle to step down cuz she was not "deaf" enough...the principle was born deaf but also could speak english...pretty interesting...

anyway, i hope to meet some new people...the college that i attend is in new york and Lexington school for the deaf is in manhattan...i would love to visit one day...

i would also like to make new friends here so i can learn more about the deaf community....

hi everyone,

i am new to this page. I am hearing and know very little sign langauage.

I took ASL classes last year at Dominican college and i thought it was pretty interesting to learn that the deaf actually have a culture...

I read the book Train go Sorry by leah cohen and learned about the first uprising of the deaf students at Gaulladet University in Washington during the 80s...

Oh, there was also another uprising at Gallaudet this passed weekend...did anybody see it...the students wanted their principle to step down cuz she was not "deaf" enough...the principle was born deaf but also could speak english...pretty interesting...

anyway, i hope to meet some new people...the college that i attend is in new york and Lexington school for the deaf is in manhattan...i would love to visit one day...

i would also like to make new friends here so i can learn more about the deaf community....

Welcome but let me correct u some...it is not principle..it is the president of Gallaudet.

I was trying to make a point about the public getting the wrong info on my other threads and u just proved that it is true cuz apparently u got the info that protest is due to Jane not being deaf enough.

To other AD members who keep telling me that is not the reason why the students are protesting and I should read the student blogs for more accurate info, my point is that the general public is STILL getting that info about Jane not being deaf enough so why arent the so called real reasons being informed to the public?

U can read several posts about the protests at Gallaudet in the other threads. Hope you can get better info than what u are getting now.

Enjoy!

:welcome: To All Deaf kathaiti!!!!
I'm hearing also, so I hope you have as much fun as me learning to sign:) I've been learning for about 4 & 1/2 years now. Good Luck on your goals:)
Have fun posting &
Enjoy your stay here:thumb:

1.gif
to AD..Good luck on learning about ASL and deaf culture. :) I hope you will enjoy the stay with us and happy posting away! :)

thanks everyone...i really hope to one day participate in a deaf activity or something because i have never in my whole entire came into contact with someone who is deaf...

i would like it very much if someone keeps me posted...my e-mail is kathaiti@yahoo.com

but i have been around people who were blind or deaf-blind...

here is just a fun fact that i discovered when i was taking ASL classes:

Helen Keller was actually NOT the first Deaf-Blind girl who was successfully educated... Laura Bridgman was

Laura Bridgeman i think was from new hampshire and her teacher was Horace Mann...

Does anyone know who both Horace man and Laura Bridgeman were?

here is just a fun fact that i discovered when i was taking ASL classes:

Helen Keller was actually NOT the first Deaf-Blind girl who was successfully educated... Laura Bridgman was

Laura Bridgeman i think was from new hampshire and her teacher was actually Horace Mann who taught at Perkins School for the Blind...I had the chance to volunteered at Perkins School for the Blind once and it was a new and great experience...

Does anyone know the history of Perkins School for the Blind?

:welcome: Here! :wave: This place is great place to meet with other people from all over the place.

Enjoy your stay in AD and post anything to share with us!

:cheers:

Back