I'm a new member from Oregon!

NW Kim

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

I was greatly relieved to find this site after stumbling around looking for a place such as this. I'll share more of my story over in the "late onset deafness" thread. My deafness is not exactly late on-set, but facing the emotional adjustment has been rather recent.

I have profound hearing loss and while I do wear hearing aids they are no longer of much use. I did study ASL years ago but haven't had anyone to converse with so have forgotten most of what I learned. I depend on lip reading in social settings and text/email for most non-face-to-face communication. My dog Wilson alerts me to sounds at home that I need to be aware of!

I'm looking forward to spending time here and meeting new friends. :wave:

Welcome aboard!! That is one of the reasons why I love cats, their ears turn to the direction of sounds so I rely on their cute ears when I don't wear my hearing aids ;) hope to see you posting around :)

P.S. Are you familiar with Coos Bay and Banshee Hill?

My nephew attended college in Coos Bay a couple of years ago, which was the last time I visited there.

I fished with my dad and grandfather out of Winchester Bay during my childhood, and knew Banshee Hill well as it was a major landmark for navigation from the ocean. Wow, I hadn't thought about that area in years! Lots of great memories camping in the Oregon dunes...

My nephew attended college in Coos Bay a couple of years ago, which was the last time I visited there.

I fished with my dad and grandfather out of Winchester Bay during my childhood, and knew Banshee Hill well as it was a major landmark for navigation from the ocean. Wow, I hadn't thought about that area in years! Lots of great memories camping in the Oregon dunes...

I have fond memories of the sand dunes as well, it sparked my passion to ride quads! I had a hard time prying my son away from our quads and dirt bikes :giggle:

Taken at Banshee Hill
th_l_a3871b5f1e1607a83be7dcd651ca5242.jpg

How far away do you live from Coos Bay?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi and welcome. You will enjoy the late deaf forum here, and lots of others too. Keep posting and learning.

How far away do you live from Coos Bay?

Birdie, I'm up in Beaverton which is in the Portland/Metro area ~ but have Jeep, will travel! Coos Bay is on the South Coast, not super close but still a great place for holiday.

Indeed you can learn a lot from AllDeaf. And welcome Kim! I lived in Portland area for about 13 years. Now I'm living in the East of USA. :wave:

Virginia is beautiful, also... so many states still to visit.

Yes, I've been so busy reading through past postings, learning a lot as well as feeling as though I've found kindred spirits after being isolated for years. I don't know who it was that started this forum, but THANK YOU!

Back