Illinois school for the deaf?

Radcliff

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I have a question. I have a deaf nephew who, in a couple years, will be starting school. My family is not sure if they want to home school him, send him to a public school, or move so he can go to the Illinois school for the deaf. Can you guys give me your opinions on what we should do?

Home schooling is ok if there is a large group of cooperating parents in their area doing home schooling. Groups like that often offer a pretty rich experience with many shared activities and studies. Public school is a good place to start IF their system has good support in place for deaf kids. They can investigate and talk to other parents. If neither of those options I would seriously consider moving.

Hey guys! So I have a question. I have a deaf nephew who, in a couple years, will be starting school. My family is not sure if they want to home school him, send him to a public school, or move so he can go to the Illinois school for the deaf. Can you guys give me your opinions on what we should do?
Homeschooling SOUNDS good but in reality it's not very realistic. Very few parents are trained to teach dhh kids. It's also too intense for most people. Also with homeschooling dhh kids early on there's no real way to insure they get a good deaf ed foundation b/c again most parents don't have the background. I know Ill has regional dhh programs so that's an option. ISD might be a good option too. Another option might be to relocate so he can atttend an excellent School for the Deaf like Texas School for the Deaf, Florida School for the Deaf and Blind, Indiana School for the Deaf, TLC in MA etc. Your family might want to join the http://deafchildren.org/ My best advice. Do lots and lots of research and look into every and anything! There's many different pieces to the puzzle.

Home schooling is ok if there is a large group of cooperating parents in their area doing home schooling. Groups like that often offer a pretty rich experience with many shared activities and studies. Public school is a good place to start IF their system has good support in place for deaf kids. They can investigate and talk to other parents. If neither of those options I would seriously consider moving.
Yes, but there's very rarely that sort of homeschool resources for dhh kids...

Another option might be to relocate so he can atttend an excellent School for the Deaf like Texas School for the Deaf, Florida School for the Deaf and Blind, Indiana School for the Deaf, TLC in MA etc.

Excellent huh? Hmm.. My friend just accepted a job there and is starting next month.

Send him to ISD and then to Model Secondary School for the Deaf in Washington DC for high school level. Your nephew will thank me for that.

Send him to ISD and then to Model Secondary School for the Deaf in Washington DC for high school level. Your nephew will thank me for that.

If you are trying to get new people to go where you suggest, it would help if you would say more than ISD as both Illinois School for the Deaf and Indiana School for the Deaf can be shortened to ISD.

If you are trying to get new people to go where you suggest, it would help if you would say more than ISD as both Illinois School for the Deaf and Indiana School for the Deaf can be shortened to ISD.
The OP was asking about Illinois.

The OP was asking about Illinois.

Yes the original question was about Illinois but then someone brought up Indiana. So, by the time of my post it wasn't that clear which was being referred to in the post I responded to (or others for that matter).

Don't leave out Iowa.

If the OP wants clarification s/he can ask.

My guess is that authentic did not read the other posts before he responded to the original post. This is a common occurrence on online social media.

Last edited:
Don't leave out Iowa.

If the OP wants clarification s/he can ask.

The mention of Iowa also fits my point that initials are not enough given the number of states that start with the same letter.

It is not just for the OP but everyone that is part of this thread.

The mention of Iowa also fits my point that initials are not enough given the number of states that start with the same letter.

It is not just for the OP but everyone that is part of this thread.
See my edited post.

Are you looking for a deaf school? Or are you just trolling and nitpicking posts?

I would highly suggest they move so he can attend a Deaf school. That way he can be immersed in an environment where there are other children fluent in a language he can 100% access.

Just imagine if you were growing up and your parents wanted to teach you English but they had to learn it first - it would be a big disadvantage. No matter how hard they tried and how dedicated they were, their English skills wouldn't compare to someone fluent.

Something that frustrates me but happens a lot- the OP has not checked in since starting the thread.

That's such a heavy situation to balance. I'm sure the family wants to be close to other family, but at the same time they are going to want to do what is best for the child. I would say if moving away is not an option to get the best education available, you might want to research the school districts in the area and see what IEP programs are available. I know that in my area, a friend of mine is the deaf student teacher at her school. The students are part of the larger general class, but they also have individual classes with other deaf students. My friend is fluent in ASL, and her only job is to teach the deaf students.

I would say if there is not at least that type of program local to where they are then the kid is not going to get a decent education without moving to a school for the deaf. If the school hasn't thought about the needs of a deaf student and created a program specifically for them, then they have no interest in actually helping a deaf student.

My parents had to move to a major city from a tiny town up in rural area in Northern California after I was diagnosed. My mother used to drive me to speech therapy and school three times a week- Try 80 miles three times. Can you imagine that? She had to do it until we moved to San Diego where I can get access to education and therapy. She won't miss long trips. Ha.

My parents had to move to a major city from a tiny town up in rural area in Northern California after I was diagnosed. My mother used to drive me to speech therapy and school three times a week- Try 80 miles three times. Can you imagine that? She had to do it until we moved to San Diego where I can get access to education and therapy. She won't miss long trips. Ha.
:)
My mom was the same.
Thanks for the memories.

I was going to say.. don't forget Idaho but theirs is ISDB Idaho School for the Deaf & Blind...

ahh MSSD...I so wanted to go. "No"... but convinced 'em Gallaudet was ok... :).

Back