If you were going to redesign this site what would you do?

traciedowell

Reaction score
We are undergoing a re-design of our website because it appears that people are getting the wrong impression and feeling like it is a scam. As a website designer, I would like your input as to what we should do to change it.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Just one suggestion at this time: Add 'feedbacks' from others who have had firsthand experiences with this business. :)

~RR

Also, the design looks a little generic. Try to get a more unique design, and display your contact information prominently on the site.

Live chat????

If you could set up a live Chat for this site along with the forum would be great.

I don't design sites but I have frequented other sites that have made changes. The way this one is set up seems to be very popular and easy to navigate. I like it...just my opinion. A chat room would be nice but they tend to get abused a lot if there is no moderator on when it is being used. One feature I really like on other sites is the option to receive email notification if someone posts in a topic after you have posted there.

Last edited:
True.. that the chat site is often abused. I do agree with that but, with significant monitors the chat site can work.

Hi-

Good work thus far-

1- Change chat app to meebo - online web IM for AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk messengers
2- Change site structure to use Joomla!
3- Change template to fit a portal style layout as the text going down the center is wayyyyy too long.
4- Join Joomla Templates Club - Pro Joomla Templates & Designs - Joomla (demo.rockettheme.com)

I think you will find Joomla.org to be an incredible resource!!! extensions.joomla.org has several career directory free apps. There is also a number of Deaf apps.

Good luck!!!

Matt Lawson
Medialab Pro

Great advice everyone! Wonder if it was followed? :)

Yes we did take the comments into consideration when we re-did our website. I'm sure if anyone who posted here, that saw our old website, saw it now they would see that it has changed ALOT. We are not professional web designers by trade so it was challenging but we feel that we have come up with a new site that we can be proud of.

Thanks to everyone who posted their feedback for their input and the continued support.

I saw both your old site and now new one. For not being professional webmasters, you did a great job on the design. :)

We did actually. We had a live chat feature but it did not work out the way we thought it would. We ended up scrapping it and just doing the contact form.

Don't know if you tried Meebo or not, but it doesn't seem as easy as others say.

There are a few good low-cost ones that could do the trick.

I often click those "Chat Now" boxes to talk with someone immediately, and mostly they then send you to contact page or give phone number.

Once in a while, you click the chatbox and truly a person does come to it and talk to you immediately.

That is a GREAT way to hold onto a prospect, as you know.

VP is wonderful, however if it takes more than 24 - 48 hours to respond, the person could have already lost interest by then and try and move onto something else. Then too late for the call.

Hopefully when you are ready to try again, you can have chat function or at least a chat room that is open all day and night for someone to come in and ask questions anytime they happen upon your site.

I forgot to mention that we kept the chat on our website for at least a month before we took it off.

Wonder what kind it was? Was it free kind? Or had cost with it? If it had cost with it then that sucks.

Should be a good kind that as soon as someone type in, you/company will know and can immediately respond. . .

hmmm....

Once in a while, you click the chatbox and truly a person does come to it and talk to you immediately.

That is a GREAT way to hold onto a prospect, as you know.

VP is wonderful, however if it takes more than 24 - 48 hours to respond, the person could have already lost interest by then and try and move onto something else. Then too late for the call.

Hopefully when you are ready to try again, you can have chat function or at least a chat room that is open all day and night for someone to come in and ask questions anytime they happen upon your site.

We had it linked up to my husband's sidekick so whenever someone chatted, they got a real person right away. It just got to a point where it wasn't really effective as people were just filling out the contact form anyway. Not many people used it. It was at that point when we decided to go with a single column design as opposed to our former 2 column layout.

For us, it was a concept that sounded good on paper but didn't really make a difference. I'm sure that there are other websites where it is more useful such as tech support and so forth but for ours, it didn't do much.

Wonder what kind it was? Was it free kind? Or had cost with it? If it had cost with it then that sucks.

Should be a good kind that as soon as someone type in, you/company will know and can immediately respond. . .

hmmm....

It was free and yes we would immediately respond to people when they initiated the chat. It was neat. Just not very popular.

Back