If you own a laptop.. a few tips to share!

Jasper

Reaction score
I do not know if this has been mentioned before, but there are a lot of things you can do to your laptop to increase the battery life on it. I have a Sony VAIO SZ series which at the moment gets about 5+ hours on battery if managed properly.

The best way to accomplish more savings is by disabling some of the hardware that your laptop has inside using the power management features in either the control panel, or by using the power management software that is put on your computer by the manufacturer (if applicable)

when I am running on battery I have it set to disable:
sound card - not a big deal anyways!
modem & NIC card - never used
CD/DVD drive - you can always re-enable it if you need to use it
Memory Card Slots - again re-enable it if you need to use
Firewire slot
Video Card - the sony SZ actually uses 2 video cards one onboard and the other a hardware videocard.. If you are not playing games you can switch it over to the onboard to save power.
WAN Card - Again.. only if I need to use it.. which I rarely do.. I can usually find a wireless network in the area and connect to that if I need internet access.

Also, adjusting the brightness of your screen can go a long way to increasing battery life.

On some computers you can actually decrease the power of your processor to gain more battery life as well - I use this option as again.. I do not play games usually when I am on battery power

This is just a few ways to get a bit more out of your laptop.. hopefully it is helpful

remove battery while power AC plug to laptop if you plan to use alot at home. That would save amount of time charge, make more long-life time.

Back