If given the chance to be hearing would you?

Doesn't matter. The thread title is "if given the chance to be hearing, would you?" You, being hearing, don't need to be in this thread. Not every thread in this forum is about you.

Doesn't matter. The thread title is "if given the chance to be hearing, would you?" You, being hearing, don't need to be in this thread. Not every thread in this forum is about you.

You're forgetting the fact that deafdude1 questioned two users so far about their decisions of being deaf or not.

Being hearing or not got nothing to do with it. No one should ever have to justify themselves to others for their decision to choose a certain lifestyle.

Not even attempting to make it about me. It was about Kashveera. Who is, by the way, Deaf.

You're forgetting the fact that deafdude1 questioned two users so far about their decisions of being deaf or not.

Being hearing or not got nothing to do with it. No one should ever have to justify themselves to others for their decision to choose a certain lifestyle.

It isn't about the choice of a certain lifestyle. We're either deaf, or we're not. No justification necessary. But for those who haven't lived the life of being deaf, they have no business being here questioning whether others would like to be hearing or not.

It isn't about the choice of a certain lifestyle. We're either deaf, or we're not. No justification necessary. But for those who haven't lived the life of being deaf, they have no business being here questioning whether others would like to be hearing or not.

Nor was I questioning it.

Annie, this is a really good and thought provoking area. It seems that all enjoy the topic. HOH, D/deaf, and hearing alike. Thanks for this interesting subject.

I would rather stay deaf. It has been hard enough to be so for so long. I would not want to start over and try to be something else.

It is a whole different experience in almost every way.

I may be late deaf, but I am deaf and proud. It is this grandmas personal opinion that rudeness to friends is not befitting any one.

Thank you Jillio, for pointing that out.

I may be late deaf, but I am deaf and proud. It is this grandmas personal opinion that rudeness to friends is not befitting any one.

Thank you Jillio, for pointing that out.

You are quite welcome, Nan_Mathews.

Please, just call me Nan. I have been here long enough to skip formalities, no? (CHUCKLE)

I would rather stay deaf. It has been hard enough to be so for so long. I would not want to start over and try to be something else.

It is a whole different experience in almost every way.

Nor would I.

Tell me the advantages? Also what's the point of CI to hear more if being deaf has way more advantages?

Okay, since you have raised a question, let us be fair in answering it, to all that stood up for me thanks...but yeah, this is a discussion, so let us abide by it.

To answer this question, being deaf for me is being myself, and I firmly believe your character makes you who you are, not whether you are deaf or hearing.

I am the only deaf individual in my entire family, yet I have achieved way more than nearlly everyone.

The advantages to being deaf are numerous, only if you choose to view it in a positive light, for instance, when I was in varsity, I could switch my hearing aids off and study in the middle of a crowded quadrangle full of students going about their lives.

So what if we can't hear the birds, we can see them, we can touch them, and you will find that the deaf are able to have a relationship with elements of nature because you simply appreciate their beauty more. Most hearing indiviudals I know, simply take their hearing for granted, and because we the deaf do not have that capability, we tend to be a lot more sensitive.

Some of the most amazing viewpoints in life come from deaf people who are positive and do all in their capability to live positiviely. The advantage is you tend to appreciate life so much more and live for the smaller things, and not constantly focus on the fact that we don't have hearing.

The greatest advantage for me being deaf is peace...peace which is lacking in today's world...peace, the silence, the soundless, the true world...

Hope this helps.

Feel free to discuss anything else with me...

Okay, since you have raised a question, let us be fair in answering it, to all that stood up for me thanks...but yeah, this is a discussion, so let us abide by it.

To answer this question, being deaf for me is being myself, and I firmly believe your character makes you who you are, not whether you are deaf or hearing.

I am the only deaf individual in my entire family, yet I have achieved way more than nearlly everyone.

The advantages to being deaf are numerous, only if you choose to view it in a positive light, for instance, when I was in varsity, I could switch my hearing aids off and study in the middle of a crowded quadrangle full of students going about their lives.

So what if we can't hear the birds, we can see them, we can touch them, and you will find that the deaf are able to have a relationship with elements of nature because you simply appreciate their beauty more. Most hearing indiviudals I know, simply take their hearing for granted, and because we the deaf do not have that capability, we tend to be a lot more sensitive.

Some of the most amazing viewpoints in life come from deaf people who are positive and do all in their capability to live positiviely. The advantage is you tend to appreciate life so much more and live for the smaller things, and not constantly focus on the fact that we don't have hearing.

The greatest advantage for me being deaf is peace...peace which is lacking in today's world...peace, the silence, the soundless, the true world...

Hope this helps.

Feel free to discuss anything else with me...

:gpost:

I respect your choice to be deaf. I would like to be hearing(or at least less deaf) I will still be the same person, just able to hear better. Hearing aids currently achieve this but doesn't change me as a person, just gives me access to sounds.

I achieve the same as a hearing person. Being deaf doesn't make me better than others being hearing. We are just different and achieve things differently.

I get that advantage too. However I tend to study at home where it's quiet anyway.

Hearing people can hear the birds and be alerted of their presence then see them too. I used to be able to hear birds before I lost what little high frequency hearing I had. I gotta be honest and say it wasn't much of a loss, I never even knew I could no longer hear birds till it was pointed out and I said "what birds" As for nature, I appreciate it's beauty, but that has to do with seeing. Both hearing and deaf can equally appreciate seeing nature's beauty.

Everyone can live a positive life, hearing people are just as capable. My hearing friends appreciate life as much as I do.

Thats the one advantage I appreciate but I would still like to be hearing and if given the chance, it's a resounding yes! My reasons are similar to the reasons those decide on cochlear implants. Ive been told I "should" get CI but I am waiting for stem cells instead, this is my choice. I would like to hear all the sounds, music and speech(well not that much with lipreading) I am missing out on. I enjoy life now, for me hearing is just another tool and extra sense to enjoy life with. It won't make me better, smarter or change me.

Annie, this is a really good and thought provoking area. It seems that all enjoy the topic. HOH, D/deaf, and hearing alike. Thanks for this interesting subject.

you are most welcome! i just want everyone to quit bickering. it is a nice and simple question. its not something to debate over. just answer the question and why you answered that way. i think people sometimes get so wrapped up in proving a point that they forget what the thread is really saying.

im glad everyone is enjoying it. ive thought about this alot since i became deaf. at first to lose my hearing was tramatic but now i embrace it. ill take what ever god gives me and learn to secceed either way.

Back