If given the chance to be hearing would you?

I think I would prefer hearing over being completely deaf. Mainly because all there are sounds in this world that are truely part of God's creation. Such as a child laughing, our friends laughing. There are also other sounds, horses neighing. There are other sounds I would choose not to hear, such as the annoying trains. I wear hearing aids so I get the choice to turn them off, but I am not completely deaf.

With my HAs, I can hear children laughing..no problem. However, I am not sure about horses neighing as I am never around them.

ok i agree and somewhat disagree a little here. being late deafened i know very well what you are saying and can remember some of those sounds. but i have played the violin for 18 years. now when i became deaf i quit playing for a while because i was so heartbroken at not being able to hear my self play. now i have learned to "hear" with my fingers and the sensation of vibration. now get this... i can tune my strings w out a tuner or someone who hears. how? i can tune from the tension in my strings, that and after playing the same instrument for so many years, i know it well enough to feel the difference. therefore, i loved to hear adn listen to music, but once one learns how to hear w their scense of touch, its almost the same! at least to me......

:gpost:

That's how I feel with music despite my sever profound loss.

:gpost:

That's how I feel with music despite my sever profound loss.

you know alot of my hearing friends dont understand what i mean when i tell them i hear with my hands and feet. they know that i feel vibrations but dont understand how feel can relate to hear.

you know alot of my hearing friends dont understand what i mean when i tell them i hear with my hands and feet. they know that i feel vibrations but dont understand how feel can relate to hear.

There are studies showing that when Deaf feel vibrations the auditory parts of their brains actually light up on MRI scans. The same happens with blind people that use echolocation to navigate. I think when we are born legally blind or profoundly deaf, our brains learn to literally cross tactile information to the auditory/visual parts of the brain. So that's why a Deaf person feeling vibrations or a blind person hearing their surroundings can sound much richer than it would for someone whose auditory part of their brain is used up by hearing or vision part used up by sight.

I have not heard silence in so long I don't remember really what it was like. I have three distinct tinnitus tones that never stop, they are always loud and sometimes they are louder. I would like to hear when I drop something or when someone comes up behind me. Birds singing now that is a gift from God I miss. It is a strange and garbled world inside my head sometimes as I sort it
all and match it up through the cacaphony of noise in my own head and the noise on the jobsite. I still get to work with my hands though and that is life itself to me. If I could hear well again? I would jump on it. You bet.

I have not heard silence in so long I don't remember really what it was like. I have three distinct tinnitus tones that never stop, they are always loud and sometimes they are louder.

I have tinnitus too. There are some situations where hearing loss can be annoying, but tinnitus is annoying all the time. I would be so happy if I could just get rid of the tinnitus!

There are studies showing that when Deaf feel vibrations the auditory parts of their brains actually light up on MRI scans. The same happens with blind people that use echolocation to navigate. I think when we are born legally blind or profoundly deaf, our brains learn to literally cross tactile information to the auditory/visual parts of the brain. So that's why a Deaf person feeling vibrations or a blind person hearing their surroundings can sound much richer than it would for someone whose auditory part of their brain is used up by hearing or vision part used up by sight.

yes there are studies showing this though the name of it i cant think of of top of my head.and even for someone like me who is late deafened the brain kind of reroutes. i think what happens may be that this part of humans brains may always be active its just that it overcompensates when there is deafness for a certain period of time. the human brain is an amazing organ, there is so much that we do not know about the brain still.

lol repost! but the answer's no. :cool2:

No, because there were lots of noisy environment sounds that I don't like at all and I usually turn off my hearing aid and I feel much better in a quiet environment, but sometimes my eyes see noisy action (too much action) when I see something moving around in the City. Now I am living in the First Nation village, it is much quieter than in the city.

ok why no? i agree w u im just trying to get everyone to express why they would choose one way or the other....

Because it is me. I just can't see myself as hearing. In a way I am thankful that I am deaf. Because of the hardships, it had made me more mature, more considering of other people's feelings. I don't like it all all when a person think he can change me from a deaf person to a hearing person. It just give him a god personality.

In an apartment, hearing people often complain about the noises from next door. There won't be any problem if everybody is deaf.

Because it is me. I just can't see myself as hearing. In a way I am thankful that I am deaf. Because of the hardships, it had made me more mature, more considering of other people's feelings. I don't like it all all when a person think he can change me from a deaf person to a hearing person. It just give him a god personality.

In an apartment, hearing people often complain about the noises from next door. There won't be any problem if everybody is deaf.

This is the exactly true when hearing people complain about noises in the apartments. You got that right. :roll:

The best way that I could explain it is when I was telling someone that his house shook a lot when he was doing laundry and that I could feel when it was done (without needing the buzzer). And I could feel him coming to the room, that I was in, from the other room. I told him that I could feel the garage door open and close. It worked best to tell him as those things were happened.

Unfortunately, That doesn't work so well here when the floor's made of concrete and carpet right on top. Works fine in Chicago and other places.

There are pros and cons to being hard of hearing. I think at this point in my life, I would take the opportunity to become fully hearing.

Amen!

As for me, sure. Why not. It'd be a boon for me to hear the rich intensity of such beautiful and nuanced sounds out there. Music, kids, the crinkling of the leaves, all those I can hear but it's the quality and intensity of the sound that makes it so worthwhile and necessary. Just yesterday I had a piano tuner come in and tune my piano. It was only a year but it had traveled longs distances on two occassions and so the strings are a bit "sour" and even "muted" in some instances. You can hear all the notes but it's doesn't feel "complete" when you play out a piano piece. Once the tuner, who is blind, tuned my piano perfectly the sound became sooo much richer, lively, and broad in sound. It was almost like night and day, not that much but close. It was a major difference and makes my piano playing so much better and enjoyable and I was able to spot slips and mistakes just by listening to my piano playing and correct it as I continue to play. Sometimes people just don't realize how rich sound can be.

Thats a good reason. I would love to be hearing(or at least less deaf) so I can enjoy music. Music doesn't sound interesting to me but I know it's cause I don't hear it properly.

I would love to be hearing! Ill miss the silence but all the other advantages far outweigh that one and only real disadvantage. People get CIs to hear better and give their reasons. I have the same reasons!

For me..the answer has to be yes.
3 years ago my hearing was 100%. Now my job is hanging by a thread because of my deafness. I can hear my daughters voice but, cannot understand a single word she says to me...in another year or two I think I won't even hear that...I find the thought of having to go through life without
that very hard..I'll miss that more than anything. :(

On a lighter note...not hearing the 'wife' will be a bonus! :lol:

I would jump at the chance to be hearing.

I've been deaf all my life. I've never minded it -- it definitely has its advantages like being able to sleep at night through a thunderstorm, not having to hear irritating noises, etc.

However, while I can't miss what I've never had, I would welcome the opportunity to finally hear the things I never have.

Back