I want to live in both worlds!

SJCSue

Reaction score
Hi, guys! I want to live in both the deaf and hearing worlds. My hearing parents do not understand why I want to be a part of the deaf world. I want to be friends with who can understand my frustrations with the hearing world. I feel that they are afraid of losing me to the Deaf world. How can I convince them that I will still be a part of the hearing world? How can I balance life in both worlds?

I can understand where you're coming from SJCSue...

First of all I'm not sure how you communicate with your parents, if you speak to them orally then just continue doing that which will show that you are a part of their " hearing world " , it's safe to assume that you do speak this way to your parents because you mentioned that your parents is afraid to lose you to the " deaf world " ...In the other hand, your parents needs to understand that you are deaf, and that you need to be around people like yourself because hearing people do not know what it like to be deaf or how it is etc....

I honestly don't believe it is possible to completely live simultaneously in both "worlds." A person who has been deaf all their life wouldn't know what it is like to live in the hearing world any more than I would know what it is like to live in the deaf world.

That being said. You live your life how you want to, and how you feel comfortable. It is your life, not your parents. Don't let them decide for you. And by worrying what they think, you are passively letting them decide. I'm not saying completely disregard their feelings, but if they love you as a parent should, they should respect your decision to live your life how you want.

My hearing parents do not understand why I want to be a part of the deaf world. I want to be friends with who can understand my frustrations with the hearing world. I feel that they are afraid of losing me to the Deaf world. How can I convince them that I will still be a part of the hearing world? How can I balance life in both worlds?
Well tell them that you enjoy being a part of the hearing world, but at the same time you don't feel 100% a part of the hearing world. Say that you don't feel that being in the hearing world has given you the oppertunity to fully discover or be yourself. Say that it's sort of like the way that some partially American Indians or some partially blacks want to discover THEIR heritage. Reassure them that you like being a part of the hearing world, but you want to discover your deaf side as well!

I honestly don't believe it is possible to completely live simultaneously in both "worlds." A person who has been deaf all their life wouldn't know what it is like to live in the hearing world any more than I would know what it is like to live in the deaf world.
Oh I dunno....It's possible to live in both worlds...Many hoh folks have done it ALL their lives! I mean I don't know what it's like to be totally deaf, but I do know what it's like to be more visually orentiated then hearing folks. The deaf world isn't about how much hearing you have or don't have....there are tons of hoh folks who ID as Deaf, and even some hearing but disabled folks who ID as Deaf b/c they use ASL as a primary language.
SJCSue, you're on Long Island right? Maybe it's Long Island culture that's preventing your parents from fully acknowledging that the hearing world isn't enough for you. I mean we're talking about the culture that produced Levittown! (generic houses that all look the same) Ask your parents if they would have any objection to you exploring your culture if you disocvered you were Hispanic, black, Native American or whatever.....Tell them you like the hearing world, but....
you could give them the example of the magazines and literature. Say that you're bored by the Hearing Health approach.....point out that it's more fun to read a well written article about a culture rather then the same old "hearing 101 stuff.....you could also point out that being fluent in ASL will help with your job oppertunties...they are always looking for 'terps and TODs who are fluent in ASL!

I live in both worlds and look at the attitudes some folks in AD give me. Thats the little buggards that comes with living in both worlds.

Richard

Nesmuth, that's not exclusive to the deaf world....I mean a lot of bisexuals, biracials etc get that too! Yes, there are idoits who think you can only live in either world, but big deal!

Back