I told you SO

I just couldn't help but ponder about this - Why didn't you put your education on the application? That alone could have helped you get a better job instead of nothing at all.

*sigh* Yes.

It would seem, Empress, that you set yourself up for failure, so you can come back and complain to us. You would have been much better off putting down your education information. I'd rather be turned down for being "over qualified", then passed over because I didn't have enough education for the position I was going after.

Jobs there at Williams Sonoma, they won't hire people who are
over qualify.

I see - Well, If you happen to be considered over qualified for that company then don't you think it's time that you could try at least look for another job elsewhere? It doesn't hurt to broaden your horizons.

I tried my best...

It isn't my fault that people keep building walls around me and
preventing me from grabbing opportunties.

Empress, Something to consider is the amount of applications they had. You had mentioned standing in line for several hours in order to even apply. That says there was A LOT of competition in the running as well.

As others have said, I'd rather not get a job because I was overqualified. I recommend putting ALL education, achievements, etc on job applications. It sounds to me that a lot of the walls around you have been put in place by you. Once you overcome that obstacle, you will find it much easier to finding a job (and making friends, etc). My personal experience is that many of the barriers I had around me were put in place by me. I used to work as a disc jockey at a radio station. I was overweight and a smoker. I had long hair and lots of piercings. When I decided to join the police department, I busted my ass to get into shape. I cut my hair and took most of my visible piercings out (still wear 3 in my left ear when off duty). It was A LOT of work...I had not run since high school and now I was expect to run and pass a fitness agility test. I worked hard at it.

When I applied, I was up against close to 500 applicants for only 5 positions. I then took the written test, only 300 showed up to take the written test. Only 200 passed the test (so I'm told). At this point, I am up against 300 people. Then the department does background checks, psych tests, etc. Many people did not pass that. When I took my physical test, we were down to 50 people. Several failed the physical agility test. Then came the polygraph test and more batteries of tests. When I went to the police academy, I started with 5 guys from my agency...and I was only 1 of 2 to actually graduate (class was from various agencies...total to start was 21..only 14 of us graduated).

The reason I share all of this was with you when I first started the process, many of my obstacles were in my own head....'I could never be a cop....' I worked hard at both the physical and mental part...and it paid off greatly.
Work on overcoming your barriers by working on your 'people' skills. See what good interview techniques there are and try to become a better interviewee. Then when applying for a job, be persistant as DH pointed out. Sometimes it takes lots of phone calls (mine did). When you get to the interview part, win them over with a great interview.

Taylor, you can't compare yourself to me....

Of course life is so easy for you, you don't have a disability or face deformities.

Same to you, Guido.... you're hearing.... and you got a normal
looking face... people wouldn't mind looking at your face everyday.

I can't be a cop.... even if I tried, I'll be the first one rejected.

And plus I can't be a relay opr, even if I tried, I won't be able to
understand what the caller say.

I just go ahead and live off SSI and food stamp, I'll be okay,
as long as I got some income and staying at home with my mom.... I am alright....

My sister is the one push me into filling out job application at Williams Sonoma, I didn't want the job anyway, I was the only disabled person
in the line, I knew that they won't hire me.

Of course life is so easy for you, you don't have a disability or face deformities.

as long as I got some income and staying at home with my mom.... I am alright....

My sister is the one push me into filling out job application at Williams Sonoma, I didn't want the job anyway, I was the only disabled person

You can't start whining about job then grow up.

How do you prepare yourself? Do you jump off the tallest building? Do you lay on the lawn and let me run you over with the lawnmower? Do you go to Africa and get run over by a herd of wild elephants?

That was damn decent word of wisdom outta of your mouth! I had to admit, I just took the offer for my next part time employment. It was totally different than what I am used to be. Of course, I gotta to get my ass dressed professional. I knew it won't be damn easy. Your right, it is all mental. I hope that I could achieve this one and abandon stinking lousy low paying production position where I am in now. Only time will tell, this new position is just temporary contractural basis and I hope that they would end up like me. Givin ya thumbs up! :)

Empress, Something to consider is the amount of applications they had. You had mentioned standing in line for several hours in order to even apply. That says there was A LOT of competition in the running as well.

As others have said, I'd rather not get a job because I was overqualified. I recommend putting ALL education, achievements, etc on job applications. It sounds to me that a lot of the walls around you have been put in place by you. Once you overcome that obstacle, you will find it much easier to finding a job (and making friends, etc). My personal experience is that many of the barriers I had around me were put in place by me. I used to work as a disc jockey at a radio station. I was overweight and a smoker. I had long hair and lots of piercings. When I decided to join the police department, I busted my ass to get into shape. I cut my hair and took most of my visible piercings out (still wear 3 in my left ear when off duty). It was A LOT of work...I had not run since high school and now I was expect to run and pass a fitness agility test. I worked hard at it.

When I applied, I was up against close to 500 applicants for only 5 positions. I then took the written test, only 300 showed up to take the written test. Only 200 passed the test (so I'm told). At this point, I am up against 300 people. Then the department does background checks, psych tests, etc. Many people did not pass that. When I took my physical test, we were down to 50 people. Several failed the physical agility test. Then came the polygraph test and more batteries of tests. When I went to the police academy, I started with 5 guys from my agency...and I was only 1 of 2 to actually graduate (class was from various agencies...total to start was 21..only 14 of us graduated).

The reason I share all of this was with you when I first started the process, many of my obstacles were in my own head....'I could never be a cop....' I worked hard at both the physical and mental part...and it paid off greatly.
Work on overcoming your barriers by working on your 'people' skills. See what good interview techniques there are and try to become a better interviewee. Then when applying for a job, be persistant as DH pointed out. Sometimes it takes lots of phone calls (mine did). When you get to the interview part, win them over with a great interview.

Empress...Actually I can compare myself to you. So can everyone else. We ALL have barriers and hurdles that need to be overcome. Just because I do not have a physical disability does not mean it was an easy process. Secondly, you have no clue what MY life has been like, so don't tell me I have had an easy life...you know nothing about me in that regard.

My point to you is that mindset is 95% of your battle. When you overcome that obstacle, life, friends, and job hunting will be easier for you. Let me show you what I mean about mental barriers....the quote you just made. Read it again and think about what its saying:

You did not get the job at William Sonoma because you were overqualified or underqulified...you did not get it because you walked in with an "Im going to lose this" attitude. With that attitude, you will have lost the job before your ink is even on the application.

And I was never suggesting you become a cop. A positive attitude and positive mindset go A LONG way no matter what job you have...whether is police, william sonoma, or taco bell.

I understand what you are saying, Taylor.

I did come in with a negative attitude....

1. I should have bring in my resume
2. I should have gotten all the reference address
3. I should have comb my hair, not wear my ugly hat
4. I should have took the time to complete the whole application
5. I should have iron my clothes and look nice
6. I should've had an interpreter there, instead of saying "huh?" 20 times
7. I should have not have a negative attitude about standing in line
8. I should have not crumbled up the application
9. I should have call and ask about that job position
10. I should have a positive attitude
11. Should've not blow my nose hard & laugh out so loud in the waiting room
12. Should have not scratch my head like that man in Laurel & Hardy's tv show.
13. I should have brush my teeth and rinse out mouth, get rid of morning breathe.
14. I should have prepare for this...

oh please. quit blame on deafness cuz of no job offer. EVEN hearing didnt get the offer!!! MOVE ON! And keep LOOKING!!!!!!

Like DHB said, you have to bug the company....keep you fresh in their minds....sitting waiting on the phone to ring is not a good way to find out you have a job or not...you have to contact them and assure them that you are the person for the job....with CONFIDENCE. :)

If you don't have confidence in yourself, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Also, you should always put you have a college degree, and your education in your resume and your application..that will help you have the foot in the door (meaning having more opportunities in job searches). Taylor is right on what he said in his posts here. :)

Good luck in your job search. :)

oh please. quit blame on deafness cuz of no job offer. EVEN hearing didnt get the offer!!! MOVE ON! And keep LOOKING!!!!!!

Correct, even hearing people have a hard time finding work for various reasons...not just the deaf. And yes, keep looking. :) You will get there. :)

The Williams Sonoma called and left 2 messages...

And they said, "This message is for Phyllis, if she wants the job
we have available today for her, tell her to call us back at
901-546-**** "

And they did not leave me any message....

See I told you guys and I told my mom and my sister who
bug me everyday "Get a job."

So see the world is full of cruel people, not have compassion....

So anyway, I don't have any regret of what I had done in the
past... it was the right thing to do....

Like fighting hard for SSI and food stamp, because people out there
won't give me a job.

So now, all I have to do is just pay off these College Loans, these
college degrees are worthless.... I guess I throw them in the garbage.

Just go out and travel around the world and get myself a new
bedroom furnitures :giggle:

i had no problem with finding a job all you have to do is apply like over 20 companies then one of them will hire you for sure in an week that s what i did it worked like a charm dont give up too easily and world is not fair but we ll have to deal with it and make life easier than moping around hoping for something better

I don't want a job

I don't want a man

I don't want anything

You are right cuz having a job causes so much stress..Oh dealing with the asshole boss, whiny co-workers, and all that work to dress up! Why dress up? To impress our co workers?

Yea, men are such headaches. Definitely a headache you dont need. No bickering about who takes the trash out, picking up after himself, nor having to deal with his sexual demands.

No, we all dont want anything so why are people demanding to have anything?

You are right cuz having a job causes so much stress..Oh dealing with the asshole boss, whiny co-workers, and all that work to dress up! Why dress up? To impress our co workers?

Yea, men are such headaches. Definitely a headache you dont need. No bickering about who takes the trash out, picking up after himself, nor having to deal with his sexual demands.

No, we all dont want anything so why are people demanding to have anything?

Right on!!!!!!!!

What does this means? You can NOT simply drop off an application, contact then expect them to call back. Most of companies do NOT do that! They rarely call back but very few of them do, yet not as often as you'd like.

It's the way for ANY application no matter what. You want it? GO for it and follow up. They'll definately reply if you keep knocking the door, calling them. They'll remember your name more after you've called more than once.

It's being persistant that gets you farther. I applied to an apartment building [that was actually at the expo] and I called every few weeks to check in and I get in within a year.. I mean, that compared to others I've heard of saying "Well, we call but they never answer.." Fine, if they don't answer, GO THERE. I did that. I did all of it and I got in.

It's persistance that's key.

Back