i hear the Sun

thesynthfreq

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have noticed a bit of a creepy situation with my Phonak Naida hearing aids. As i have said in other posts, I have 2 awesome purple Naida V UPs. I recently took the filters out since they are so old that I was starting to have trouble hearing anything at all. Since I removed the filters, my hearing aids sound just like they did when I first got them, awesome. :)
The strange thing that both my sister and I notice with both of our phonak Naidas, is that we both can hear the sun and lightbulbs too.
I am not sure if this is some kind of electromagnetic interference or what. It probably sounds insane, but we both hear it and both describe the same 'sound' that we hear and only the sun and lightbulbs make this sound.
I notice that if i am walking in direct sunlight, and there is something in the way of the sun, like a tree or a fence or anything that blocks the sun temporarily, or create a shadow, then everything is fine, but once I walk past whatever is blocking the sun light, I hear the sunlight return. Walking in front of a fence is interesting since I can 'hear' each slat and the spaces between them as long as the sun in shining through them. Its a very very deep almost subsonic frequency that can be felt more than heard. Its intense and very eerie.
At first I thought it might be the wind, but I notice it only in direct sunlight (while moving from shadow back into sunlight) and whether its windy or not, I can 'hear' it. On cloudy days I never hear it until there is a break in the clouds and a ray of sunlight shines through it. Also it doesnt matter how fast or slow I walk into sunlight, I hear it. I notice it mostly in my right ear, my better ear. I have never heard this kind of sound from my old FM or hearing aids ever.
I heard it today even while walking home and passing by some trees and a fence. It never fails to make me stop in my tracks, its hard to ignore. I even walked back and heard the same thing again and again.
This sound that the sun seems to be creating, is very very creepy, it makes me nervous and is eerie beyond anything I have ever 'heard' in my life. i have also never heard of anything making such a sound in this kind of way. Its so odd since I have severe/profound levels of hearing loss in the lower frequencies and the higher frequencies. I have never been able to hear low or high frequencies since birth when I received medications to help me live, that 'killed' parts of the auditory nerve since the meds were ototoxic.
I also notice that I can sense the 'buzz' of the filament in lightbulbs too, every kind. Its annoying too, you dont realize just how many lightbulbs are always around you until you can hear them. lol
Being outside in the sunlight is one of my favorite things to do, but now its got an element of creepiness to it that I am not sure what to make of.

:shock:Seems to me you got a bad case of Vampire hearing aides! All kidding aside I have no constructive thoughts on the subject. I've never experienced anything like this. Best of luck to you..

:shock:Seems to me you got a bad case of Vampire hearing aides! All kidding aside I have no constructive thoughts on the subject. I've never experienced anything like this. Best of luck to you..

Can you see them in a mirror?

Very strange. I've never heard of this before. Did it happen with your old hearing aids? I am guessing there is some sort of defect with your aids that causes them to be affected by electromagnetic radiation, possibly in the infrared area of the light spectrum.

I think you should try to reproduce this sound you're hearing in a controlled environment and with various sources to get a better understanding of it. Locate something that produces infrared radiation (electric heat lamps, some types of tv remotes, etc.) and see what happens when you are close to it.

But hey, it could be possible you're just going insane. :D j/k

Please do report back though. This is interesting.

I notice "synth" in the middle of your name. Synesthesia?

Dunno what to make of this!...My boys have perfect hearing and have never heard this before....

I recently took the filters out since they are so old that I was starting to have trouble hearing anything at all. Since I removed the filters, my hearing aids sound just like they did when I first got them.

I have no idea either... but I wondered if it has anything to do with removing the filters?

When I was younger, we had a broken door microwave(I believe it fell apart and my mom put it together again, and since then that's when I started hearing it) . Everytime someone turn it on to use it, I hear this buzzing noises. I asked my family - Mom, dad, sisters/brothers if they hear it, and all of them told me no. I think my hearing aid was picking up the radiation or something. I don't know if this the case with you, especially it is possible your hearing aid have a defect.

When I was younger, we had a broken door microwave(I believe it fell apart and my mom put it together again, and since then that's when I started hearing it) . Everytime someone turn it on to use it, I hear this buzzing noises. I asked my family - Mom, dad, sisters/brothers if they hear it, and all of them told me no. I think my hearing aid was picking up the radiation or something. I don't know if this the case with you, especially it is possible your hearing aid have a defect.

The filters are missing. I imagine they were there for a reason in the first place.

yes... and the weird thing was, everyone in my family couldn't hear it, but I could. My hearing aids were not not broken or missing a filter. It was the microwave that was broken and I was the only one who could hear the buzzing . like I wrote, I started hearing it after my mother tried to fix the microwave door.

From what the orginal poster has described sounds like inference with the electromagnetic/radiation from the sun. Maybe it needs to be calibrated/adjusted to avoid that fequency of the sun. I never heard of that case before...maybe talk to the audiologist about that issue?

filter

It has to be the filter. Can you use a diffeent kind of filter? Lights do make sounds , some are more noisy than othere. When I could hear( before u were born) I could hear some light bulbs and transmission lines too. We lived right next to the high power lines and always would hear that buzz coming from them. The sun has its own energy and would be noticeable bouncing off different surfaces, almost like sonar!. Try a spot aluminum foil to block off the waves that reach your aids. But then you may start picking up radio stations, not bad if you ghet free sirus

Very strange. I've never heard of this before. Did it happen with your old hearing aids? I am guessing there is some sort of defect with your aids that causes them to be affected by electromagnetic radiation, possibly in the infrared area of the light spectrum.

I think you should try to reproduce this sound you're hearing in a controlled environment and with various sources to get a better understanding of it. Locate something that produces infrared radiation (electric heat lamps, some types of tv remotes, etc.) and see what happens when you are close to it.

But hey, it could be possible you're just going insane. :D j/k

Please do report back though. This is interesting.

Well, this issue never happened with my old hearing aids at all. I have worn hearing aids for 14 years and this is a first. This started happening when I first got my hearing aids and everything was brand new, filters as well. I noticed this but didnt think much of it and as the months went by and a year later, the filters are just too old and actually made it much too difficult to hear, so I removed them and now I can hear as if my hearing aids are new again, since the filters were causing a major decrease in volume. This interference isnt the filters becuase my sister who has the same hearing aids, and who has filters still in her hearing aids, can hear the same thing, we both can hear it.
I have tried reproducing this sound, but no luck. The tv remote doesnt do it, or the microwave or anything else, the only thing in the house that makes this sound is light bulbs. Any kind can make this sound, but some are harder to hear than others. my sister can hear light bulbs too with her Naidas.
I am starting to think that this might have to do with electromagnetic issues too. I hope its not a defect in my hearing aids, becuase my sister's hearing aids do that exact same thing even though hers are programmed a little differently. That would mean that both sets of hearing aids (4 Naida V UPs) are defective at the same time? You know, one of my friend has the same hearing aids and similar but worse loss, I might ask him if he can notice it too. Like I said before, this 'sound' can be felt more than heard, this means that its infrasonic. The sun and lightbulbs are the two things that cuase this, nothing else I know of right now.

Back