I guess there's a benefit of my dad having a girlfriend AND a wife...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wait till after the radiation clears? Japan needs you now.

No ... no ... that would be me.

If I was disgustingly wealthy I would donate all my wealth to japan, christchurch and haiti.

I took my client to a park and there was an event to raise money for Haiti there. I donated the last of my weekend money. So, I am broke for the whole weekend!!! :lol:

I took my client to a park and there was an event to raise money for Haiti there. I donated the last of my weekend money. So, I am broke for the whole weekend!!! :lol:

But it was for a noble cause!

You are a lioness

Smile, I don't know you shel, but like your posts and I think you are a genuine person..what you did was an nselfish act of kindness and it will help
every bit does....Thank you for being who you are...and I am sure you are a woman of principle..smile..and lioness to all those who need protection. Peace to you..You , you get it!....smile..Midnight♥♥♥

I work so hard for my money..I definitely would not blow it on a $600 purse.QUOTE]

Nor would I. We're not in a high paying profession. If I made a lot of money, would I spent $600 on a purse? Depends. If you get really good luggage, it can last you a long time. Same goes for a purse. I've never been in that position to find out. :D

But what I don't understand is people who scoff at $600 purses and then pay $100 for a knockoff. WHY?! If you think it's stupid to spend $600 for "a name", then why spend $100 for a fake? It doesn't make sense to me. So I feel that people who buy knockoffs DO care about the name, but they either don't care for or can't afford the price.

If you buy a knockoff (knockoff, not "copycat" - anything not designer is copycat anyway), you can't look down at people who buy the real thing. I mean, I personally don't buy knockoffs (or accept them - I'd pass them to Goodwill) because

1) If you can't afford it, why try to look like you can? Your Wal-Mart outfit and your "designer" LV isn't fooling anyone, oh White Trashy Ladies at the Gas Station (not you guys...but you KNOW who I'm talking about).

2) Knockoffs = supporting sweatshops and/or terrorist (and other shady) organizations. 'Nuff said. And seriously! Doesn't anyone care about intellectual property rights?! In Italy, people are fined for buying knockoffs.

Yes, there are some very well-made knockoff bags and they go for a much better price. If you gave me two bags side by side, I could tell the difference. If I saw a very well made knockoff on the shoulder of a lady, I may have a hard time. But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not just get a bag of another brand!?

I'm not a clothes snob, per se, but I do understand the frustration of designers who have their bags hand made by old fashioned ateliers...I mean, isn't half the point of buying a luxury bag knowing where it came from?

How are the designers upset if stores like Walmart copy their designs? I buy clothes from Walmart sometimes because I cant afford to go to stores that sell designer clothes for thousands of dollars. Even these days, I cant even afford to shop at stores like The Gap or Banana Republic like I used to so I just make the best of it by shopping at Walmart, Fashion Bug, and etc.

If that makes me bad for buying "copies" so be it. Me and millions of others. The designers need to get over it since they are the ones who charge ridiculous prices for their clothing lines.

Yes, I love fashion.

BAD? laughing

How are the designers upset if stores like Walmart copy their designs? I buy clothes from Walmart sometimes because I cant afford to go to stores that sell designer clothes for thousands of dollars. Even these days, I cant even afford to shop at stores like The Gap or Banana Republic like I used to so I just make the best of it by shopping at Walmart, Fashion Bug, and etc.

If that makes me bad for buying "copies" so be it. Me and millions of others. The designers need to get over it since they are the ones who charge ridiculous prices for their clothing lines.

Yes, I love fashion.

lAUGHING, Shel, I agree with your response totally..but I think it falls on
deaf ears attached to a head that may have less brain then me..laughing, OMG..forgive me please ..But YOU are not BAD...your like the rest of us just trying to do the best we can each day...I respect your opinion. Midenight♥♥♥

Yes, I love fashion.

No, Shel, you don't get it. Designers WANT other brands to "copy" them. That means that they set the trends...

Designers DO NOT want people to create FAKE bags with DESIGNER NAMES on them. THAT is counterfeit.

Like, if I sewed in a nike swoosh and made a fake nike label and sold it on the street, that would be illegal.

Make sense?

No, Shel, you don't get it. Designers WANT other brands to "copy" them. That means that they set the trends...

Designers DO NOT want people to create FAKE bags with DESIGNER NAMES on them. THAT is counterfeit.

Like, if I sewed in a nike swoosh and made a fake nike label and sold it on the street, that would be illegal.

Make sense?

the Fashion Spot

Here is a nice forum for fashionistas. :)

Wirelessly posted

I have to step in here after having relatives who work in fashion retails. Knockoffs are not made in sweatshops or anything like that. They are actually SUPPLIED by the company who DESIGNED them. Yes, the line from Wal-Mart and the line from Gucci are made by the SAME company.

The reason why people who buy "no brand" feel superior to those who buy "designers" is often because most of them have toured the factories or had have worked in retails, so they scoff at people who buy into the pricetag hype. They knows who the suppliers are.

God, now my metrosexuality is coming out. Not sure why the hell I care, probably because people don't believe me most of my "designer" wardrobe comes from the MEC, GAP, Army and Navy, Zellers and so on. They're usually even more surprised the suppliers are owned by the same corporations!

Now counterfeits are another thing entirely.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I have to step in here after having relatives who work in fashion retails. Knockoffs are not made in sweatshops or anything like that. They are actually SUPPLIED by the company who DESIGNED them. Yes, the line from Wal-Mart and the line from Gucci are made by the SAME company.

The reason why people who buy "no brand" feel superior to those who buy "designers" is often because most of them have toured the factories or had have worked in retails, so they scoff at people who buy into the pricetag hype. They knows who the suppliers are.

God, now my metrosexuality is coming out. Not sure why the hell I care, probably because people don't believe me most of my "designer" wardrobe comes from the MEC, GAP, Army and Navy, Zellers and so on. They're usually even more surprised the suppliers are owned by the same corporations!

Now counterfeits are another thing entirely.

I may have used knockoff and counterfeit synonymously...a lot of times you see people busted for selling "knockoffs". What they are talking about is counterfeit.

As I said, GAP having snakeskin prints because GUCCI and PRADA put it out on their runways is A LOT different than people buying a "LV" bag that is not LV.

I don't think the people who buy GAP sniff their noses at those who buy Gucci because GAP people toured a factory. I think they just think it's too expensive.

As far as I know, Wal Mart & Gucci do NOT make their stuff in the same factory. If you can prove that, I'd be so humbled -- and so would a lot of famous people...considering most of Wal Mart's crap isn't even made in China!

Children Found Sewing Clothing For Wal-Mart, Hanes & Other U.S. & European Companies - National Labor Committee

My dad's old business partner had a factory in HK that was a denim factory. Some of what you say is true - certain $200 jeans are made in the same factory as $20 jeans. But that doesn't mean that Gucci and Wal-Mart are using the same clothing factory.

Actually, what makes a set of clothes designated for non-designer outlets is simply factory errors. Say, a pair of pants is half an inch too long, or there was an improper stitch. That what separate a $20 to $40 pair of jeans from a $200 jeans. Most regular people don't really care. Only people who feels the need to lord over others would care about minute details like that.

Also, sometimes designer companies will sell clothes with labels stitched on incorrectly to thrift shops.

Actually, what makes a set of clothes designated for non-designer outlets is simply factory errors. Say, a pair of pants is half an inch too long, or there was an improper stitch. That what separate a $20 to $40 pair of jeans from a $200 jeans. Most regular people don't really care. Only people who feels the need to lord over others would care about minute details like that.

Also, sometimes designer companies will sell clothes with labels stitched on incorrectly to thrift shops.

Can you please cite where Gucci sells clothes labeled improperly to thrift stores? Because websites claiming to sell "Gucci" and "Prada" at wholesale prices "because of factory errors" are lying.

And can you also cite where Gucci pants are the same as another brand but they are maybe just a half inch off? Thanks. I'd be completely floored if I knew that. Last I checked, designers sent patterns to factories or ateliers. Not the other way around.

Can you please cite where Gucci sells clothes labeled improperly to thrift stores? Because websites claiming to sell "Gucci" and "Prada" at wholesale prices "because of factory errors" are lying.

And can you also cite where Gucci pants are the same as another brand but they are maybe just a half inch off? Thanks. I'd be completely floored if I knew that. Last I checked, designers sent patterns to factories or ateliers. Not the other way around.

Why would Salvation Army need a website selling defective products? They are NOT WHOLESALE PRICES. They are DONATED.

Seriously, are you that much of an elitist NOT to go down to your local thrift shops? Try hitting up the local co-ops as well. Geez, I thought everyone in Colorado is a hippie.

Why would Salvation Army need a website selling defective products? They are NOT WHOLESALE PRICES. They are DONATED.

Seriously, are you that much of an elitist NOT to go down to your local thrift shops? Try hitting up the local co-ops as well. Geez, I thought everyone in Colorado is a hippie.

Are you that much of a brat to not actually look at my previous posts? I rock thrift stores all the time. I also make some of my own clothes. I also have more expensive things (but not Gucci...anyway).

Your information is false. Wal-Mart and Gucci do not use the same factory. That was my point.

You need to stop putting words into people's mouths.

1) I never mentioned Gucci as part of the jeans example.
2) I never said factories sell to designers. When people thiknk of "designer" they don't think of the people who actually came up with the concepts, but rather the BRAND NAME. "Designer" is synonymous with "brand name" in casual English.

You also need to stop jumping to conclusion. If you want an answer, I don't associate "thrift shops" with the "Internet." Why would a thrift shop set up online? It's against what they stand for. It seems backward organizations such as Value Village would cater to the needys online.

Also, the next time you see a retail outlet who sell seemingly exact same clothes as your favourite designer brand but with a different label, ask the manager who is the supplier. You will be surprised what factories they come from and who sort them.

You need to stop putting words into people's mouths.

1) I never mentioned Gucci as part of the jeans example.
2) I never said factories sell to designers. When people thiknk of "designer" they don't think of the people who actually came up with the concepts, but rather the BRAND NAME. "Designer" is synonymous with "brand name" in casual English.

You also need to stop jumping to conclusion. If you want an answer, I don't associate "thrift shops" with the "Internet." Why would a thrift shop set up online? It's against what they stand for. It seems backward organizations such as Value Village would cater to the needys online.

Also, the next time you see a retail outlet who sell seemingly exact same clothes as your favourite designer brand but with a different label, ask the manager who is the supplier. You will be surprised what factories they come from and who sort them.

Hm...I don't think of "designer" and "brand name" to be the same thing. To me, "designer" is Valentino. "Brand name" is GAP. But okayyyyyyyy--

You said that the difference between designer jeans was an error in the pattern or something like that. Huh?!?

I was just pointing out that Gucci doesn't wholesale anything that's "mislabeled"...I used those scheming web sites as an example.

I'm STILL waiting for you to show me the proof that Wal-Mart and Gucci utilize the same factory. I'd be really surprised.

but...now that we are talking about it...fabrics also make a difference.

anyway! just waiting! thanks!

Are you that much of a brat to not actually look at my previous posts? I rock thrift stores all the time. I also me some of my own clothes. I also have more expensive things (but not Gucci...anyway).

Your information is false. Wal-Mart and Gucci do not use the same factory. That was my point.

My information is not false. Ever heard of "parent companies"? Do you know who Pinault Printemps Redoute is? Do your research who PPR supplies. I don't need to do your homework. We're not in grammar school anymore, so why would I? You and I are both college-educated, we can find this stuff out for ourselves.

Let me compare to what I know about: dog kibbles. Everyone loves Innova EVO and California Naturals because they're supposedly the best grain-free diet out there. What most don't know is that Procter and Gamble, owner of Iams, own Natura Pet Foods. Now P&G has been working on changing the ingredients and factory-line around, but most people who don't follow consumer reports don't know this. You see, they think Natura Pet Foods and Eukanuba are two separate companies, which in actuality they're both owned by P&G. Loyalists to the Innova brand thinks they're better because they're supporting a local small business; loyalists to Iams think they're better because they're saving money.

It's the same sham regarding Best Buy and Future Shop in Canada. Two different names, both carry same products, different prices, the corporate cats fool everyone into thinking they're getting "a deal," by having the two sibling companies play against each others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back