I don't know how to do this but...

dreamchaser

Reaction score
Hey guys!!! Happy Tuesday!!!

I have a writing assignment, research paper, ugh!

I knew I wanted to write on mainstreaming. But I have to pick just one or two things about it to write about. I don't yet have that decision to make about educating my granddaughter as she is still a baby, but one day I will have to be there for her mother and hopefully give her good advice. So all of my research now will be important for us in the future, but for now I have to write a paper. (education decisions will ultimately be up to her parents not me to decide. Chances are though, she will end up in a Blind school. She is so young still, we haven't really looked into it. I know we will be learning tactile signing though.)

so here is the deal. I want to write about the emotional atmosphere in the public schools. I also want to cover a little bit about the quality of education.

If you have a good story or a bad story about your experience, would you please share it with me? I worry that Ava, my granddaughter, will face isolation in public school. She will never be a candidate for CI or aids, because her problem stems from a nodule in her brain, not an ear problem.

For now, I want to write my research paper with as much knowlede of first hand experiences as I can get. I will be representing both sides of the story in my paper, not just one. Please, help me to understand what it is like. It is not my fault that I can hear and I don't know. Thanks SO MUCH! You can't know how much your help means to me.
Jeanie... still chasin the dream for a better tomorrow for ALL.

I will definately post a reply here later this evening, because I want to be able to give it my full attention. This is a complicated subject, and different things need to be considered at different ages due to developmental concerns. I want to be sure that I give you as comprehensive an answer as I possibly can.

I will definately post a reply here later this evening, because I want to be able to give it my full attention. This is a complicated subject, and different things need to be considered at different ages due to developmental concerns. I want to be sure that I give you as comprehensive an answer as I possibly can.

Oh Jillio, how can I thank you enough. YOu always give me insight and food for thought. I am so thankful that you are always sharing of your expertise and I will soak it all up like a sponge.

Again,,, you rock!!!

Hi there...do u want me to post my experiences being mainstreamed here or through email?

Hi there...do u want me to post my experiences being mainstreamed here or through email?

Here would be great. MAybe it will inspire some conversation on the issue... Good to see ya shel90! I'm swamped in homework... check back later... TY

I am D/HOH..completely deaf in my R ear, and 75% in my L. My parents wanted me to go to public schools so that I could be normal...I was in speech therapy since toddler-age, and did not start talking until age 4. I wore hearing aids, and from an early age despised them as from Kindergarden to High School, I was made fun of. Treated differently, outcasted. All I wanted to do was be normal, and though my parents stressed that as their reason for putting me in public schools-I felt more of an outcast than I am sure they imagined. My mother had to make it clear to all of my teachers that I could not hear, and had to be in the front row next to the teacher-looking at the teacher at all times to comprehend. Kids made such a big deal of this, as a combination of being STUPID and a teacher's pet. By middle school I didn't want to wear my aids anymore. Of course my parents said NO WAY-so I would wear them to school, and then put them in my backpack while there. This led to MANY replacement aids, which made my parents furious. And of course, the kids already knewI was deaf, so it made no difference if I wore aids or not. (but in a child's mind, it SHOULD have made a difference..made it less noticable..)All I wanted to do was be like THEM. I swore that if I had a child that was deaf, I wanted them to feel NORMAL. Now, I am starting to think of my daughter's future, and if indeed I want to put her at South Carolina School for the Deaf or mainstream her. In a way, I want her to be as her brother and sister are..and not feel outcasted by going to a "special" school. Yet I remember how I felt all of those years..embarassed..stupid..outcasted..ugly..and I do not want her to feel that way. I have a deaf friend who says "put her in NORMAL school. NOT deaf school. NORMAL." She thinks that putting a child in a deaf school makes acknowledges that they have a disability-and that deafness is not a disability, deaf people are normal as everyone else. I see where she is coming from, but my school years still haunt me. I am thankful that we still have some time before making this descion, and ulitmately, it will be made to benefit my daugher-whether it be mainstreaming or sftd.

I hope this is the type of answer that you were looking for.

I am D/HOH..completely deaf in my R ear, and 75% in my L. My parents wanted me to go to public schools so that I could be normal...I was in speech therapy since toddler-age, and did not start talking until age 4. I wore hearing aids, and from an early age despised them as from Kindergarden to High School, I was made fun of. Treated differently, outcasted. All I wanted to do was be normal, and though my parents stressed that as their reason for putting me in public schools-I felt more of an outcast than I am sure they imagined. My mother had to make it clear to all of my teachers that I could not hear, and had to be in the front row next to the teacher-looking at the teacher at all times to comprehend. Kids made such a big deal of this, as a combination of being STUPID and a teacher's pet. By middle school I didn't want to wear my aids anymore. Of course my parents said NO WAY-so I would wear them to school, and then put them in my backpack while there. This led to MANY replacement aids, which made my parents furious. And of course, the kids already knewI was deaf, so it made no difference if I wore aids or not. (but in a child's mind, it SHOULD have made a difference..made it less noticable..)All I wanted to do was be like THEM. I swore that if I had a child that was deaf, I wanted them to feel NORMAL. Now, I am starting to think of my daughter's future, and if indeed I want to put her at South Carolina School for the Deaf or mainstream her. In a way, I want her to be as her brother and sister are..and not feel outcasted by going to a "special" school. Yet I remember how I felt all of those years..embarassed..stupid..outcasted..ugly..and I do not want her to feel that way. I have a deaf friend who says "put her in NORMAL school. NOT deaf school. NORMAL." She thinks that putting a child in a deaf school makes acknowledges that they have a disability-and that deafness is not a disability, deaf people are normal as everyone else. I see where she is coming from, but my school years still haunt me. I am thankful that we still have some time before making this descion, and ulitmately, it will be made to benefit my daugher-whether it be mainstreaming or sftd.

I hope this is the type of answer that you were looking for.

Look at the beautiful family you have. Do you see anything ugly about any of these innocent babies? And they all came from your womb. So, how beautiful you must be. Wouldn't it be beautiful if people could see past the hearing aids and the sign language, and see the real person underneath? How I hate that word NORMAL. I am truly sorry that your childhood was painful because your ears don't work well. What person in the world is immune to becoming deaf? Isn't it time that the hearing community met the Deaf community half way and did there part to learn to communicate? What is important is that people do communicate, not necessarily how.. but then you throw in that word NORMAL, and attitudes change. But what is NORMAL? It only takes one injury, or illness to take your hearing at any age. So maybe the hearing community is made up of deaf people who can hear, for now. Have you seen the video "Reverse Planet" PM me and I will give you the URL if you can't find it. I think you will like it. Hearing and good health are illusive. Please pray for me to be able to help hearing people to discover the wonderful people in the Deaf community.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I know that your heart will guide you in choosing the right school for your daughter when it is time.. God bless... Jeanie... Still chasin the dream of a better tomorrow for ALL!

As promised, I am going to try and answer your question, and support my answers with evidence from my particular background: psychology. I have no doubt that someone will jump in here and ask me to provide links to prove what I have to say, so I want to make it clear at the outset that what I post in this thread is based on my years of education in educational psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, and clinical psychology, as well as extensive study in linguistics, sociology, and anthropology. I have spent years applying what I have learned to the issues regarding the deaf child and the deaf adult. Therefore, what I post is the sythesization of years of education and experience, and is my knowldge and views, not the knowledge and views of another that I am blindly quoting. Therefore, I am not obligated to cite the sources of the information that is mine, nor am I obligated to provide a link to any specific article, research report, or textbook. That said, here goes.

Mainstreaming affects children differently depending upon their age and grade level due to the developmental stages that children go through at specific times. During the pre-school years, the concerns are language acquisition that will be sufficient for them to develop operational thought at a later stage. Children aged 2-7 are preoperational. This means that they are untuitive rather than rational, and that through that intuitiveness, they begin to represent things internally and do not have to act out their thoughts. If they are deprived of language, they are unable to develop this intuitiveness. When a child develops language naturally, they intuit its uses and its rules. For instance, a child who has acquired language in a natural way will understand that it is possible to use that langauge to get the information they need from their environment. A child who is language delayed will not have developed that intuitiveness, and will use action to gain the information they need. That is why so many children who are language delayed are seen to be impulsive and hyperactive. They are attempting to gain knowlege about their world through doing rather than through thought. Language acquisition is largely a passive activity for children. They learn it by being exposed to it and intuiting its function and its uses. If we don't provide an environment for these children that allows them to acquire language passively, but instead make it a struggle and a constantly active endeavor, we overstress them and impede their abiltiy to learn the way they are developmentally capable of learning. This applies to mainstreaming in the following ways.

A child in a mainstream environment is exposed, in most cases, to oral langauge only, For a hearing child, this does not present a problem. He can hear the teacher's words, and the words of his/her classmates, while his/her attention is directed to a book, or a bird outside the window, or any other distraction. In that way, he is learning peripherally, through exposure. He doesn't always have to give full attention to understand and learn the meaning. A deaf child, however, in an oral classroom, does not have this luxury. He must always have his concentration on the teacher, he does not get the other things going on in the classroom that the other children take in without effort. If something happens in the back of the classroom that could assist him in understanding, he misses it. This child is prevented from learning in the way that is natural for a child to learn. He is over stressed, and sees learning, not as enjoyable and natural, but as hard work. He becomes frustrated, and is quite often labeled a behavior problem.

At this stage, however, peer relationships are usually not much of a problem. Children at this age are very accepting of differences, and once explained to them, they go on to things that are more important to them...such as playing tag on the playground. They are not so concerned that their friends do everything in eactly the same way they do, as long as they are able to interact in ways they find meaningful. In other words, kids this age don't really care if their playmate can hear, or if he signs with his hands instead of speaking with his mouth. He can still play tag, and he can still throw a ball, and that is what is important to them. Interaction. Differences are of no concern.

However, the child that has been impeded in the mainstream setting at this age will carry those linguistic and educational difficulties with them and they will become compounded as the child grows and attempts to navigate not just the more difficult curriculum, but the changes that occur with moving into different developmental stages. As problem solving becomes a large part of his/her learning activities in the classroom, he will show difficulty. Efficient problem solving is dependent upon having completed the developmental tasks of the properational stage. Without the language necessary to allow the child to complete the intuitive prerequisites, he will begin to have problems in this area in the classroom. These difficulties continue to compound all through his/her educational career.

Psychosociall, there are changes happening as well. By about age 6, children begin to develop a sense of self worth through interaction with their peers. As they get older, this influence becomes more important than parental influence on a child's self concept. At the younger ages, chidlren are still very ego-centric (that doesn't mean selfish), and they are unable to empathize by considering how another person might feel. At this age, the hearing children will begin to exclude the deaf child, not because they feel any animosity, but because communication is sometimes difficult, and they don't want to take the extra time. They are intent on, for instance, playing the game, or getting their ideas across, and having to take the time to communicate with the deaf child slows them down. They don't intend to hurt feelings, or to be exclusive, but they are because that is where they are developmentally.

At about the age of 11, chidlren are beginning to develop a strong sense of identity, and are selecting among various potential selves and who they may become. This is where role models are extremely important. A deaf child in a mainstream school has no role models on which to base this exploration. All he/she sees in his/her environment are hearing people, and this is expecially true if he is the child of hearing parents. Therefore, his self concept begins to become distorted. He can't experiment with different identities based on the hearing people he is exposed to, because he knows on a deep level that he is not the same as the hearing people. He begins to become aware of his difference, even if he can't explain what he knows. It is at this age that deaf children in the mainstream often begin to try and prove that they are the same as their hearing peers, to deny that they are different in any way. This is also the point where he/she begins to internalize the concept of themselves as being different, and different is equated to wrong. They struggle to fit in based on what they are seeing in their environment. The deaf child who has interaction with other deaf peers, and role models in the form of deaf or hearing, signing teachers, has a completely different experience. He is able to esplore his potential selves based on realistic environmental feedback. His difference is not a concern, because there are others just like him. He develops self confidence and security in his abilities. He is provided with both the linguistic experience and the social experience that leads to psychosocial adjustment. He is free to learn without constant stuggle. He can concentrate on educational tasks because his psychosocial and emotional needs are being tended to. He freely communciates ideas and asks questions, and receives feedback and answers in the way he can understand them. He is able to complete his developmental task on time, and is free to grow as a person.

When chidlren enter adolescence, the task of finding one's identity continues. At this time, peer influence becomes of the utmost importance. Differences become the reason for exclusion, and children explore what it is they find acceptable and good, and what they don't. Acceptance by others in crucial. Most deaf children who have been mainstreamed arrive at this point with many coping skills they have developed in the earlier years to protect themselves from the pain of exlusion, or to make their differences appear minimal. While these coping skills might lead one to believe that the child is well adjusted and coping well, the skills they have developed are often unhealthy. They have not managed to develop an identity of their own, and their identity is dependent upon what they believe that others will accept. They are fractured. This is the point that you will often hear deaf adults speak of as feeling as if they were stuck in between 2 worlds. Girls may develop eating disorders in an attempt to gain some control over their life, because they feel so out of control in other areas. Boys may develop high risk behaviors. These chidlren appear to be happy and well adjusted on the surface, but are miserable underneath. They don't let their misery show, because that would only point out their difference to a greater degree, lead to more ostacism by hearing peers, and more misery. These students often become overachievers. They do well academically by memorizing everything they need to do to keep thier grades up. They work themselves into a frazzel trying to keep up. The hearing teachers say, "Look how well he/she is doing. They make great grades, they have lots of friends." The hearing parents say,"Look. My child is successful academically. They have lots of hearing friends. They have assimialted well into the hearing world. Mainstreaming has been a success. It's a wonderful thing."

When we look below the surface, however, we see an adolescent who has not been able to complete many of the developmental tasks of childhood because they have not been given the intitial tool to do so: language. Without being able to move through the earlier developemental stages, they are prevented from moving through the later stages. They become masters of pretense. They pretend to be okay, because that is what the believe is expected of them. They build their identity on what others tell them they should be, rather than what they have learned they should be. They have no sense of self, and they have not been provided with the skills and the life epxerience that allows them to develop a healthy sense of self.

This continues a pattern that lasts a lifetime unless these children find an environment that allows them to go back and adress what they did not get in their early years. This can be best illustrated by the number of deaf adults who relate stories of finding the deaf community in eaqrly adulthood, and for the first time in their lives, feeling that they have, at long last, found their place.

School environments cannot attend to the educational needs of children when their psychosocial needs are not being met. Children cannot learn academic material inthe most efficient and prodcuctive way if they are stuggling with these other issues. Without language, not only are their educational needs not being attended to, but their developmental needs ar not being attended to. We have to see our children as whole and complete beings. One thing affects another. A deficit in one area will impact all other areas. We have to create environments where learning happens as it was meant to happen: naturally. In order to do that, we have to have an environment where chidlren are free to explore all possibilities based on examples they can relate to.

This is getting rather long, and although I could go on and on, I will stop here. I hope I have made my position clear, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to answer them.

Wow! I could really go for broke with this...I'll try to restrain myself since it is a very hot button for me. Ultimately, Your question is one of the reasons I have sought out a community of D/HOH, I feel limited now because of the lack of support I received as a child shoved into the mainstream. I lost my hearing suddenly mid way into 4th grade. It was a terribly traumatic time for me. I endured a long hospitalization, relearning how to function and walk again because of the loss of balance my hearing provided etc. I was diagnosed profoundly hard of hearing, with complete loss in the right and approx. 95% loss in the left. I was fitted with a BTE aid and given a few speech therapy sessions. I was already advanced in my speech and reading before the hearing loss and it was determined I "didn't really need it." I spent the remainder of 4th grade (a few weeks at best)and all of 5th & 6th grade in a public school that had a separate building for deaf kids. The teachers all used syllable signs and the kids all used ASL it was terribly confusing to me. Anyway, I learn the bare basics of ASL on the playground at recess so I could make friends. :cool2:
When I started 6th grade they started to mainstream me into the "regular" classes. I always had a assistant with me to make sure I was catching everything. The kids there were used to the deafies and didn't make fun, mostly because the teachers and assistants were always around.
Because I did so well then, I was mainstreamed completely into the worst possible school in my city for junior high. It was horrible. I was scarred deeply from the experiences there. I became labeled a "bad kid" and was near expulsion until the district agreed to allow me to go to school from my grandmothers address. That school was considered "a great school." HA! The kids were all the same. Mean. There was a lot of, "who cares?! she can't hear us anyway!" and the mocked lip reading instances followed by disgusting bouts of laughter.
Had any of my children needed this decision made, I would never ever mainstream them without an assistant or continued therapy. Therapy and constant support are a must! Schools are intended for learning but unfortunately they are esteem and character makers or breakers. Those experiences, whether they are good or bad, mold you for life.
This is just my personal experience and opinion. I wish you luck with your paper.

Jillio. From my own experiences everything you have said from my age of hearing loss at 9 to this: " This continues a pattern that lasts a lifetime unless these children find an environment that allows them to go back and address what they did not get in their early years. This can be best illustrated by the number of deaf adults who relate stories of finding the deaf community in early adulthood, and for the first time in their lives, feeling that they have, at long last, found their place."
Is so very accurate. It gave me chills. I have longed forever to know that I am not alone with how I feel.
Thanks!

Jillio. From my own experiences everything you have said from my age of hearing loss at 9 to this: " This continues a pattern that lasts a lifetime unless these children find an environment that allows them to go back and address what they did not get in their early years. This can be best illustrated by the number of deaf adults who relate stories of finding the deaf community in early adulthood, and for the first time in their lives, feeling that they have, at long last, found their place."
Is so very accurate. It gave me chills. I have longed forever to know that I am not alone with how I feel.
Thanks!

Gazing at your picture, I can see a face that is full of love and that loves to laugh. You radiate with love,,, at least that is how it looks,, and I don't think your eyes are lying... Isn't it a shame that you didn't know these things about yourself when you were struggling with the ignorance in mainstream school. do you think you would have learned as much academically in a Deaf school where you learn through ASL and english? Do you think you would have felt more comfortable and developed your social skills earlier and less painfully?

I wrote a short poem under YA THINK,,, check it out and post a reply. I think the story about being mimicked about lip reading would be a cool entry that most people could relate to. I want people to go there and vent a little. I already did... :) It is nice to meet you. I am sorry that you had to suffer at the hands of the hearing... Ya gots to love them,, but dang they can be stupid. Their children quite often reflect the biggotry in their home, so they learn to be jerks from their parents etc.. If you don't teach your children humility when they are young, then they will soon soak up the poison of hypocrisy and arrogance. Humility is the state of understanding that you are human,, and so is everyone else... Talk later. Jeanie

Thanks!

Aww, you're welcome. I have devoted a lot of time to understanding this topic, as throug my son, I have a close affilliation with the deaf community. It bothers me tremendously that so many deaf children suffer through these things when we have the answers that would prevent it.

Aww, you're welcome. I have devoted a lot of time to understanding this topic, as throug my son, I have a close affilliation with the deaf community. It bothers me tremendously that so many deaf children suffer through these things when we have the answers that would prevent it.

It sounds like you have a burden on your heart for them. I understand that feeling, just don't know how to go about helping. Maybe one day education will help. I am writing my research paper around Shel90s story about AGBELL and her experience, and around your dissertation. I of course, will have research to back it up,.. If you can think of any good articles, or books, can you lead me to them. I have done a lot of reading and gleaned only a little usable stuff. (didn't that sound professional. :) ) Thanks for all your help. At least I know this paper will reach my teacher and about 20 other students... Even if no one else reads it,, it may plant some seeds, and the research will give me good info for my granddaughter.

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I understand how the driving force for life was your son; that is true for me too. Things will just never be quite the same for either of us. Now, by kids are raised, and I can pour my love into the lives of Deaf children and adults who are wounded. Wish me luck.

It sounds like you have a burden on your heart for them. I understand that feeling, just don't know how to go about helping. Maybe one day education will help. I am writing my research paper around Shel90s story about AGBELL and her experience, and around your dissertation. I of course, will have research to back it up,.. If you can think of any good articles, or books, can you lead me to them. I have done a lot of reading and gleaned only a little usable stuff. (didn't that sound professional. :) ) Thanks for all your help. At least I know this paper will reach my teacher and about 20 other students... Even if no one else reads it,, it may plant some seeds, and the research will give me good info for my granddaughter.

I am sorry to hear about your husband. I understand how the driving force for life was your son; that is true for me too. Things will just never be quite the same for either of us. Now, by kids are raised, and I can pour my love into the lives of Deaf children and adults who are wounded. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Yep, life changes. The rtick is adapting in a way that allows us to find just as much satisfaction, purpose, and motivation as we had before the change.

A good resource for you would be the book, "Dancing Without Music". It should be easy to find in a library. That would give you tons of information from a personal deaf view.

Then to back up some of the psychological stuff, without sending you into a complete tizzy, I would recommend "Sound and Sign" by Kathryn Meandows and Hilde Scheslinger, or "Deafness and Child Development" by Kathryn Meadows. If you want the really technical stuff, go for "Psychology of Deafness" by Mark Marschark, et.al.

The Oxford Journal of Deaf Education is also ripe with articles. You should be able to access it online through your university library.

I will try to post my stories about being mainstreaming this weekend. The reason I havent yet is cuz I want to be alert and clear-minded when I do cuz it is gonna be LONG!

Gazing at your picture, I can see a face that is full of love and that loves to laugh. You radiate with love,,, at least that is how it looks,, and I don't think your eyes are lying... Isn't it a shame that you didn't know these things about yourself when you were struggling with the ignorance in mainstream school. do you think you would have learned as much academically in a Deaf school where you learn through ASL and english? Do you think you would have felt more comfortable and developed your social skills earlier and less painfully?

I wrote a short poem under YA THINK,,, check it out and post a reply. I think the story about being mimicked about lip reading would be a cool entry that most people could relate to. I want people to go there and vent a little. I already did... :) It is nice to meet you. I am sorry that you had to suffer at the hands of the hearing... Ya gots to love them,, but dang they can be stupid. Their children quite often reflect the biggotry in their home, so they learn to be jerks from their parents etc.. If you don't teach your children humility when they are young, then they will soon soak up the poison of hypocrisy and arrogance. Humility is the state of understanding that you are human,, and so is everyone else... Talk later. Jeanie

Jeanie, Thank you, I'm blushing now....:hug: I have been blessed with a fabulous husband and four children. My hearing serves for a lot of laughter with them. I am so grateful for them but at the same time I have issues with having to remind them constantly of how I hear. They are so comfortable that they just go through their day to day with out my hearing affecting them, which in it's self is wonderful, but for me it is frustrating, and a very hard place to be.
I recently met a woman at a neighbors party that came up to me and asked me if I was HOH, it was the first time I had ever been approached by a stranger in that way, I usually avoid talking to people to further avoid the struggle, frustration and embarrassment of not hearing what they say back. This time, I sat and talked with her one on one away form the chatter of the party. She told me that her young daughter is also HOH and she is active in making sure she gets what she needs and rally's her with support. I broke into tears in front of this woman and just commended her on being such a champion for her daughter and knowing in my heart that she would be a high functioning adult just because she had that support system in place.
I was an only child of a single parent, with government assisted medical coverage. I truly believe my life would be very different had I had the right care and support. I definitely think I would have had an easier time at developing social skills, especially compared to what they are now. I have an extremely difficult time and must work up a ton of courage and self confidence to "put myself out there". So far it hasn't seemed to paid off for me in real life.
I'm surprised to hear of the people that wear hearing aids and take them out often. My supplier calls my aid a work horse since I only take it out to shower. I'm never with out it. It's probably because I remember what it is like to hear and I don't like the sound my head makes when it's out...
I'll check out your thread with the poem. Thanks again!

Back