I can't believe that my vet lied to about my dog!

Poor l'il Marty!! That's so odd that he won't drink water. Does your tap water have an odor to it at all? Maybe try some bottled water for a day or two, and gradually transition to tap water.

My Pippin was a rescue, too. We got him from a rescue organization; they said he had been taken from an abusive and/or neglectful situation. He was probably close to 6 years old at the time.

I wonder sometimes what kind of life he had. He was seriously underweight, didn't know any commands at all, but he was perfectly house-broken, and a sweeter, more affectionate dog you'll never meet. So someone must have loved him sometime.

I hope Marty can buck up, wag his tail morning, noon, and night, and eat, drink, and poop properly like a little doggy should!

A friend of mine and I called the shelter Marty came from and told the head shelter how sick Marty was when I got him. home. And the woman is going to pay for all of Marty's vets bills including what I paid! I will getting back my money and that will cover my last dog's bill! I know a woman that worked as a vet assistant and she said the shelter should had told me because Marty was neutered he would have trouble pooping! He was severely impacted with feces when I got and had no idea! I now have Marty at the vet as he was still not taking in fluid on his and when he peed today it not a good flow, it was a like a water faucet with a drip! I could not be running to vet so he could get an IV and enema every other day! The woman from the shelter agreed with, that Marty need to be able to drink and poop on his. I feel horrible having Mary at the vet all over again! The poor little guy been through HELL! I am upset with the people that rescued Marty in California as they did follow though to made sure Marty got all the vet care he needed before being place in a new home! It not good enough to just rescued dogs and not follow up on them! I hope my new friend will be home soon and that he will he still trust me!

The wonderful thing about dogs is that yes, he will trust you. Far as he knows, you have nothing to do with whatever the vet is doing to him! It's two separate things in his mind.

Anyway, I'm glad he is at the vet (is this the one you like?) and getting proper hydration and everything.

That is wonderful that the shelter is covering his vet bills. Do you know how fortunate you are, and how rare that is?? Yes, they should have told you that he might have problems, but I think you said it had been 4 or 5 days since the surgery when he was shipped to you? Usually dogs get over any anesthesia-related constipation within 48 hours at most, so perhaps they thought he was fine. In a busy shelter, maybe they just didn't realize he had not been eliminating.

It's not really an excuse; they should have kept a better eye on him obviously, but to stand by him and pay for all his vet bills, that is huge.

Now that the vet has it figured out, it sounds like it is all situational, and not a sign of any illness. Here's hoping he will soon be back with you and you can get started on that bonding process with the little sweetheart.

My daughter's Bichon used to have problems with dehydration, and they kept injecting saline solution (I think) into her back up by her shoulders. Eventually she developed good health and never needs that now.

The wonderful thing about dogs is that yes, he will trust you. Far as he knows, you have nothing to do with whatever the vet is doing to him! It's two separate things in his mind.

Anyway, I'm glad he is at the vet (is this the one you like?) and getting proper hydration and everything.

That is wonderful that the shelter is covering his vet bills. Do you know how fortunate you are, and how rare that is?? Yes, they should have told you that he might have problems, but I think you said it had been 4 or 5 days since the surgery when he was shipped to you? Usually dogs get over any anesthesia-related constipation within 48 hours at most, so perhaps they thought he was fine. In a busy shelter, maybe they just didn't realize he had not been eliminating.

It's not really an excuse; they should have kept a better eye on him obviously, but to stand by him and pay for all his vet bills, that is huge.

Now that the vet has it figured out, it sounds like it is all situational, and not a sign of any illness. Here's hoping he will soon be back with you and you can get started on that bonding process with the little sweetheart.

Marty was not shipped to me, I saw on the shelter web site that I been checking out everyday . I when to see 3 other dogs but they where not safe to have around kids . I think there should a chart to check off when a dog does or does not eliminate, it would only take second to do and could save a dog a lot of pain! I had to this when I was health aid and it took only a few seconds to do. Yes, I am lucky the shelter is helping with the vet bills they also do not want people to bring back dogs as they want room for new dogs.
Marty was starting to bond with me and I feel bad he been let down. I did give a vet sheet of mine hoping this help Marty, I hope they put the sheet in his cage. I heard it help a dog to have something that smell like their owner. The woman from the shelter know I want to train Marty to be my new hearing dog , she was very excited about this. Thank you for all your support. I will glad to have my little doggie back at home . Northeast Animal Shelter is a well know shelter, it been around for years. They do not kill their dogs and cats. Calif. does not have any shelters like this.

My daughter's Bichon used to have problems with dehydration, and they kept injecting saline solution (I think) into her back up by her shoulders. Eventually she developed good health and never needs that now.

I hope Marty will not need to have this done once he come home.

Happy that lil' Marty is finally pooping!...A packed colon sounds very uncomfortable!.....

Was talking with one of my neighbors about this. To find out that small dogs do get "upset" if there is a change in their lives, such as moving, new owners, etc. .....sometimes they get diaherra, won't drink water or eat, even vomit....My own little doggie went thru this when we moved.

Sometimes, when a doggie has diaherra, giving the dog some cheese,and even tea if they won't drink water....cheese will do the opposite effect so the diaherra will stop.....Dogs do "worry" and get "upset" at changes in their lives, same as humans....Soon as things settle down, they will get back to normal. But feel it's best to check with the Vet about this anyway.

Actually cheese can cause more tummy upsets... Dairy isn't particularly good to feed to dogs as can cause lactose intolerance and yes, there will be diarrhoea.

Also best to add the TINIEST bit of stock to water to encourage drinking and reduce the amounts until the dog is drinking plain water...

Best thing for diarrhoea is plain boiled chicken breast (no skin) and rice.
Vomiting - the same after a day of fasting

When can Marty come home?

Marty came home today , he has pneumonia or shipping fever that animals
get from being shipped long distance! He has to start a new dose of med for 14 days and go back to the vet Monday for more xray to made sure the new med is working! If is not helping he will have more tests and more meds!
This poor little dog does not deserves all this!! The vet said he is not out of the woods yet the, if I had not brought Marty in to vet stay over night we would not had know he had pneumonia! The vet was able to see how bad his cough is and that his nose is running! I tried to tell the one of the vet Marty had something else going beside kennel cough! I am so upset that he was shipped 3,000 to a shelter in Massachusetts, there had to been a no kill shelter closer to California than my state! Marty was too little to shipped 3,000 all alone is almost killed him! This does NOT made sense to take a dog from a kill shelter then risk it life by shipping him so far! This is insane ,there has to be a better way to rescue animals!

Wow, poor Marty!! Is the original shelter still paying all his vet costs, or is it the shelter in Massachusetts that is paying? Sounds like this is going to be one expensive dog for you.

I'm glad they figured out what his problems are, though. Good luck and do keep us posted on his recovery. And THEN we will want pictures!!

whatdidyousay!, am so sorry this is happening to you and Marty!:aw:
very scary and everything!:hug:

Back