I am so mad i can't think straight!!!!!!!!!

Umm.... Theft IS a crime. Luckily it's a crime Dixie has the opportunity to deal with without the police being involved. Better a harsh punishment from mom now than a harsh punishment + criminal record from a judge later.

Good luck Dixie.

8 years old? In a town where everybody knows each other? C'mon. She's not like some NYC career-criminal juvie.

Me neither. (As in, also don't understand why she would have to drop out of Girl Scouts).

Have you spoken with the Girl Scout leader? She might have some good ideas for you. Maybe she can help figure out good ideas for discipline.

A friend of mine has a daughter a little younger than yours, age 7 right now. Just recently she was talking about how this daughter gave away some of her dolls to other friends - and then regretted it, because they were her favorite dolls. It seems to be common to this age group to give things away, to exchange toys and even clothes with friends. And then sometimes it sort of backfires, when the child realizes what she has done.

Maybe giving the money away was just part of this developmental stage, and she didn't really realize why it was wrong. Or got carried away and then realized it.

I wouldn't spank. That creates antagonism and pain and resentment, and I'm sure those aren't the lessons you want her to learn.

Let her know how very, very disappointed you are and let her know why this was very wrong. You might have her do some extra jobs - I'm sure there are plenty around the house and maybe even at the chicken coops! - to earn back the money. Maybe that will help her make the connection that people work hard for that money, and her own labor can earn money, too, and she would not like it if that money was taken from her.

And for you, now you know that she is not ready to handle that much money on her own. That's not a crime, that's just part of being 8 years old. What she learns now can help her learn more responsibility, and that's where you want to be going, in the end, with all this.

Dixie, take a deep breath and make sure you're calm before you see her. I understand selling her DS to pay the $60 but making her drop out of Girl Scouts too, I wouldn't do that. Girl Scouts is a positive influence which is what she needs, kids who are involved in after school activities tend to stay out of trouble more. If that's taken away, what will she have in its place?

For some reason my "like" button isn't showing up, and I wanted to really, really "like" this.

No, I'm on the computer now.

Ah, and NOW the "like" button magically appears again! If I didn't know better, I'd swear my computer just likes to taunt me every so often.

Never said she was....

um... yes I know you didn't say that and I've never said you said it. What I'm saying is you're thinking it wrong.

An 8-years old being criminally charged with theft and having to appear before judge in shackle? oh my... what a cold harsh society with no mercy. But you know very well it's not like that in most America (I hope) and most of times, situations get resolved peacefully with police officers calling parents to pick up their child at station or them dropping off kids at their houses and then parents handle it from there.

8-years old... c'mon.

Oh my gosh Dixie!!! I was wondering what's going on on FB when you mentioned it and you couldn't say anything in there. I am sorry you have to go through that is totally unacceptable.

Selling her DS and games are good idea! Make her to learn her lesson and not do it again. Pay 60 dollars back, and keep rest of the money (hide it or put in her saving).

Ground her for a month, no TV.

Not sure if it is a good idea to pull her out of GS, maybe for a month same as ground? Up to you. You are her mom.

I know you are doing your best! Hang in there girl!

um... yes I know you didn't say that and I've never said you said it. What I'm saying is you're thinking it wrong.

An 8-years old being criminally charged with theft and having to appear before judge in shackle? oh my... what a cold harsh society with no mercy. But you know very well it's not like that in most America (I hope) and most of times, situations get resolved peacefully with police officers calling parents to pick up their child at station or them dropping off kids at their houses and then parents handle it from there.

8-years old... c'mon.

You know what "now" and "later" mean, right?

She wasn't carrying the money around. We forbade her to take the money to school with her for fear of her losing it or the possibility of it being stolen by someone else. She actually reached into the money envelope while we weren't looking and pulled it out and put it in her purse then she claimed she found the money. She deliberately took the money out knowing it was wrong. The money envelope is now locked up in my safe and I have the key to it. I am thinking she needs to be working with me after school in the chicken house to earn back the money after we sell the DS she can buy another one later with her own money- that is when she gets any money. The money has to be turned in on Monday.

She wasn't carrying the money around. We forbade her to take the money to school with her for fear of her losing it or the possibility of it being stolen by someone else. She actually reached into the money envelope while we weren't looking and pulled it out and put it in her purse then she claimed she found the money. She deliberately took the money out knowing it was wrong. The money envelope is now locked up in my safe and I have the key to it. I am thinking she needs to be working with me after school in the chicken house to earn back the money after we sell the DS she can buy another one later with her own money- that is when she gets any money. The money has to be turned in on Monday.

Can't find like button in my iPhone so here it is.

Like!

Oh you're in that usual smart-ass attitude as usual.

I am confiscating your keyboard. Bad boy!

Just clarifying for you. No worries. :wave:

I am confident Dixie knows how to handle this.

Dixie- any way possible that she got bullied into stealing money?

Just clarifying for you. No worries. :wave:

I am confident Dixie knows how to handle this.

You didn't really clarify anything. I simply said you're being silly with this whole criminal charge and judge. maybe things were handled different from where you lived. Either way, I don't really care and I'm just glad things were handled like a bunch with common sense similar to where I grew up in.

Dixie- any way possible that she got bullied into stealing money?

I highly doubt it. She hasn't been complaining of anyone picking on her lately, this is something she usually tells me about when I ask her about her school day. She is eating dinner now, when she is finished we will be having a very long discussion.

Dixie, as long as you be firm with her and make her pay the consequences, she will turn out fine. She may "hate" you for making her sell her game to replace the money but she will learn in the long run.

:hug:

I would not be surprised if this 8 year old girl said who cares?? Go on sell those out dated Nintendo 3DS. You would be doing all the dirty work of finding buyers. Depending on how many games and consoles there were, you may be able to recoup that $60, but it won't come quickly.

Good luck.

You didn't really clarify anything. I simply said you're being silly with this whole criminal charge and judge. maybe things were handled different from where you lived. Either way, I don't really care and I'm just glad things were handled like a bunch with common sense similar to where I grew up in.

Yeah, you totally misunderstood my 1st post..... moving on.

Dixie, as long as you be firm with her and make her pay the consequences, she will turn out fine. She may "hate" you for making her sell her game to replace the money but she will learn in the long run.

:hug:

I like what shel's comfort ideas.

have faith.

Back