I am against cochlear implant because it is cheat!

matajan

Reaction score
lots of hearing friends told me that it is cheat if wore cochlear implant.

would you wore cochlear implant if you work at police, army, danger jobs?

I think they all don't let you in because your hearing is not 100 percent. what if CI is broken when you are on job and could not able to hear. nope.

CI is a tool or toy to keep sound in your ear. nothing else.

Not sure one "cheats" having a Cochlear Implant-- that one "hears"?
Seems that a Cochlear Implant costing substantial amount of money-my was $55,000 CDN 3 years ago- hardly can hardly be classified as a "toy in your ear". I understand it is not in your ear as it is "wired" directly into your Cochlea. That is why it entails a 2 to 4 hour operation. It takes about 4 weeks for your skull to heal. Not painful.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

CI and HA are the same thing but different is ci need a surgery while HA does not need a surgery.

Having had both Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implant- they are definitely very different "medical equipment". A hearing aid is external and amplifies sound hopefully to your condition as indicated by your audiogram. No operation required. While an Implant is mapped to you specifically by "processing sound directly to your Cochlea" Thanks to electronic devices.

Advanced Bionics Harmony activated Aug/07

I think they all don't let you in because your hearing is not 100 percent. what if CI is broken when you are on job and could not able to hear. nope.

Exactly.

I am going to have to echo what Drphil just stated! HA and CI are sooo different.HA just amplifies sound which can distort things into pure garble for those of us with deep losses. On the other hand CI " simulates" sounds using electrical stimulation in the cochlea which in my experience is " close as it can get" to normal hearing. The CI is not a toy. With a price tag of over $50,000 USD with the surgery and implant it can hardly be called a toy! It is a medical device used by reciepents to communicate with the world around them Typically those late deafend.

Did hearing people tell you that having a CI is considered 'cheating"?

Agreed. It's another tool for hearing, just like HAs. Under his logic, all of us deaf people wearing HAs are cheating too. His posts make no sense!

Definition of CHEAT
transitive verb
: to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud
: to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
: to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting <cheat death>

In the true definition, HA and CI do cheat by thwarting the bodies' natural deafness.

Matajan said:
I am against cochlear implant because it is cheat!
lots of hearing friends told me that it is cheat if wore cochlear implant.

I was quite impressed by the last topic of yours I replied to. Because for once, it brought up an interesting subject, at least one which was debatable. But now it seems that we're back to the stupid and offensive topics.

Perhaps it would have been better if you had said "CI's wouldn't suit me because - " And then elaborate to say why it wouldn't suit you personally. (Either physically or psychologically) Instead of implying that everyone who wears a CI is doing wrong by "cheating" - To which, many will find offensive and insulting.

The fact of the matter is that CI's improve the lives of many. Without it, many will simply be unable to have the same quality of life which they're used to. Sure, many live happy lives with profound deafness. However, this isn't the case for everyone. - Especially those who were born with some degree of hearing.

Your silly thread takes nothing away from CI's, or those who wear them. It just makes you look like an ignorant prick.

Few people have a level of hearing that is 100%, especially as we age. + We already know of police officers who are/were HoH. Sadly, one lost his life very recently. (In an event completely unrelated to his hearing loss)
Many police officers wear glasses and would not be able to function as a police officer without them. As we know, glasses can break easily. Imo that's a fair and strong argument.

Definition of CHEAT
transitive verb
: to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud
: to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
: to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting <cheat death>

In the true definition, HA and CI do cheat by thwarting the bodies' natural deafness.

Then I guess there was no need for matajan to ask the question. Because based on that quote, virtually everybody Is cheating in one form or another whether its with HAs or CIs, or eyeglasses to cheat poor eyesight, wheelchairs, prosthetic devices, crutches, oxygen tents, you name it. If we're thwarting by using assistive devices then most of us are guilty. Frankly I find it odd that hearing people would suggest that to a deaf person.

Last edited:
So, I guess with the OP's rationale, he would decline a pacemaker to avoid "cheating" and relieve all of us our misery. :lol:

*Ooops, slapping self*

Sometimes some hearing people have a warped sense of understanding or lack of it about deaf people.

I have had hearing people tell me that all deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI and that those who dont are basically stupid.

Now, you got hearing people telling you the opposite.

Interesting.

Then I guess there was no need for matajan to ask the question. Because based on that quote, virtually everybody Is cheating in one form or another whether its with HAs or CIs, or eyeglasses to cheat poor eyesight, wheelchairs, prosthetic devices, crutches, oxygen tents, you name it. If we're thwarting by using assistive devices then most of us are guilty. Frankly I find it odd that hearing people would suggest that to a deaf person.

That's true. People would be glad to "cheat" death also.

There is nothing wrong with what Matajan asked, except it has become socially acceptable or the norm to pick on him no matter what he said.

Sometimes some hearing people have a warped sense of understanding or lack of it about deaf people.

I have had hearing people tell me that all deaf people should improve themselves by getting a CI and that those who dont are basically stupid.

Now, you got hearing people telling you the opposite.

Interesting.

What I was thinking too. I have had people tell me over the years that I should get a CI. You even had a thread about that ... So someone telling us that we're cheating by getting one sounds odd.

Back