I’m going to Sorenson tomorrow!

OMG!!! :hyper: I am finally getting my VP-200 not VP-100 on April 9th!!! They were soo darn nice to even apologizing numeric of times and even offer to give me VP-200! :run: :run:

Congrats!! You will love it. I fell in love with VP as soon as I got it. :)

It's true that hearing people cannot get a VP from pretty much any company. Nobody gives them to hearing people. I have tried because my friends all have VP but they won't give it to me! I wish I still had a deaf roommate, I could say it was for him, but he moved out a long time ago. In fact I know a supervisor at VRS and they said no to him also, he had to buy one!

It's true that hearing people cannot get a VP from pretty much any company. Nobody gives them to hearing people. I have tried because my friends all have VP but they won't give it to me! I wish I still had a deaf roommate, I could say it was for him, but he moved out a long time ago. In fact I know a supervisor at VRS and they said no to him also, he had to buy one!

get webcam, and use SignVideo 2.5 from HOVRS, you would allow to call by dial ip-address to any VP.

I applied 4 yrs ago and still havent gotten it. I guess I'm not deaf enough for them.

Richard

I applied 4 yrs ago and still havent gotten it. I guess I'm not deaf enough for them.
Or your application never got there, or they lost it, or they couldn't reach you, or your connection wasn't fast enough, or...a million other things. Come on, do you seriously believe that "not deaf enough" line, or are you just saying it to be an asshole?

Or your application never got there, or they lost it, or they couldn't reach you, or your connection wasn't fast enough, or...a million other things. Come on, do you seriously believe that "not deaf enough" line, or are you just saying it to be an asshole?

I can be a bumblebee than one of their bugaloo's.

Richard

Richard

Good thing, right? Considering you're anti VRS and everything they stand for. You wouldn't want to have one of their satanic devices in your house, now would you? I'm sure you won't need one to talk to any deaf people, you'll use your TTY for that so you can keep up on your literacy. :cool: Down with asl, up with english. Isn't that your motto?

Lol, VrsTerp, for somebody who's got only 217 posts, you sure do catch on fast! Lol....welcome to this oft-times moronic paradise!

Good thing, right? Considering you're anti VRS and everything they stand for. You wouldn't want to have one of their satanic devices in your house, now would you? I'm sure you won't need one to talk to any deaf people, you'll use your TTY for that so you can keep up on your literacy. :cool: Down with asl, up with english. Isn't that your motto?

Actually on the contrary, Nesmuth could just cut out the middleman and buy a D-link videophone for $150 for his own purposes such as communicating with his deaf client. With D-Link, he wouldn't need to go through Sorenon for business dealings.

Isn't life simple if you can skip all the VRS services that offers VPs with a stipulation attached by spending $150 just so he can talk with his friends rather than meddle with VRS problems? That's something that's pretty important that you have not looked into.

D-Link (Retail) = $150 plus no requirements set forth by the VRS services because Nesmuth will have purchased for himself, not for the VRS services!

VP-100/200/D-Link (free) = free plus severe restrictions and constant harassment from a VRS service that he would be forced to choose! Plus Sorenson stores your address book on their server! Would you really want them to know who your friends are? D-Link (retail) saves your information in its own memory inside the VP!

It's a no-brainer!

D-Link > Sorenson

Well, here is problem, most people don't understand nor realize how IP works. That D-link is IP address dependent, and most residential Internet Service have what is called Dynamic Hosting Control Protocol (DHCP), and what that really means is that they can change IP address, depending on ISP server, and you have to find out what is your new IP address, then give to your friends. Too much headache.
And to have to use Sorenson VRS only on your VP-100/200 is outdated. They no longer have that restriction, and it has been like that for almost a year already.

Actually on the contrary, Nesmuth could just cut out the middleman and buy a D-link videophone for $150 for his own purposes such as communicating with his deaf client. With D-Link, he wouldn't need to go through Sorenon for business dealings.

Isn't life simple if you can skip all the VRS services that offers VPs with a stipulation attached by spending $150 just so he can talk with his friends rather than meddle with VRS problems? That's something that's pretty important that you have not looked into.

D-Link (Retail) = $150 plus no requirements set forth by the VRS services because Nesmuth will have purchased for himself, not for the VRS services!

VP-100/200/D-Link (free) = free plus severe restrictions and constant harassment from a VRS service that he would be forced to choose! Plus Sorenson stores your address book on their server! Would you really want them to know who your friends are? D-Link (retail) saves your information in its own memory inside the VP!

It's a no-brainer!

D-Link > Sorenson

Well, here is problem, most people don't understand nor realize how IP works. That D-link is IP address dependent, and most residential Internet Service have what is called Dynamic Hosting Control Protocol (DHCP), and what that really means is that they can change IP address, depending on ISP server, and you have to find out what is your new IP address, then give to your friends. Too much headache.
And to have to use Sorenson VRS only on your VP-100/200 is outdated. They no longer have that restriction, and it has been like that for almost a year already.

True, but no one bothered to also educate people on how they can set up a No-IP domain and have a person just call your vp with an website address. Nesmuth can benefit from that.

Tomorrow I am going to the Sorenson Open House. They are giving a tour of their facilities. That will be so cool, I am very excited. I can see about VRS jobs when I complete my interpreter classes, (2 years from now! LOL) and ask them how a hearing person can obtain a VP!!!

I know this for a fact. Hearing people cannot get a VP unless they are related to or married to someone who is deaf or hard of hearing. They have something else called Envision which is very much like VP just through your computer and not a VP-200 device - and it's free. You just have to download the software and register a number.

Go here: Sorenson VRS

You just need high-speed internet and a functional web cam - yeah I know sucks, but hey deal with what you have.

Have fun at Sorenson Communications.

im hearing, and i have a vp100....in my name. as with anything in life, its not "what" you know, but "who".

the reason they wont give them to hearing people is because a)there would be less of them for deaf and b)hearing people dont use relay, and relay is how sorenson makes its money.

I don't even like Sorenson, because I've been on the waiting list for a year now, and I've just emailed them three times, and finally got a respond back stating this, We will review your application and contact you as soon as we are able to install your VP-100. However, due to the large amount of requests that we are receiving we are not always able to immediately install the videophones.

Again, we thank you for your patience!

I've been waiting for a year, and I'm out of patiences. :(

But, have fun, Southern. ;)

Whoa... something wrong is brewing... when i applied for vp,. i got them within a week.... they must know if i already have cable or dsl .. i told them i am on cablemodem.. they came over asap....

Southern... I wish you bestest luck.... you have to be fluent with ASL... also have certification for terps..... it costs alot to take test and pass it..

Most of deafies are too picky. if terp on VRS is not fluent with ASL... Asking us to repeat the signs... deafies would report to Sorenson and complain.... then that person would be out....

I am one of them who is very picky with terps.... they must be fluent.. and not asking us to repeat the signs.....YOu understand what I mean??

If i call VRS... and i have to repeat... i hang up and report to Sorenson about it... we deafies require having good terp and have certification...

when you work for sorenson, they make you sign a contract saying that you wont work for another vrs for 2 years after you leave sorenson.

that means if they hire you, and you sign it, then move and there is no sorenson center, or you get fired, or you quit for whatever reason, no other vrs service can or will hire you.

Back