Hydrocephalus

Reaction score
I developed hydrocephalus when I was 1 day old due to intra-ventricular hemorrhage. I had my first shunt tube inserted when I was 6 months old.

I had my last shunt tube replaced when I was 7 since I outgrow last one that I got at age 2 due to shunt malfunction.

I began having headaches on April 25. I was not too alarmed since I also developed sinus infection on that weekend. It was Friday night. It just come and go. My mom said "We need to keep eyes on your headaches because it may be related to shunt." Of course, I freaked out. Then couple of weeks later, I became more alarmed when our Massachusetts senator was diagnosed with malignant brain tumor. My mother already had 70 year old friend who were battling with malignant brain tumor. I became really more alarmed. I asked my mom to make appointment with my long time neurosurgeon, Michael Scott for check up. We went there on May 28. He was not too alarmed because I passed neurological examination that he gave me. Then he arranged cat-scan and X-Ray on June 19 (Day before we go to Pennsylvania for my cousin Julie's wedding. Her grandmother was sister to my grandfather McCauley). Anyway, we got into radiology department and was pleasantly surprised to find that they arranged sign language interpreter for my both appointments. My cat-scan was 30 minutes delayed due to dispute with health insurance. Finally, they got through. They got me on board. I knew something was wrong when I was idle on board and way how they move it to take pictures of my head. I usually get off in 2-5 minutes but I was on there for 15 minutes on that day. My mom told we had to see Dr. Scott since scan showed slightly enlarged ventricle. Dr. Scott was not in. So, Dr. Mark Proctor took our case. He was very nice and more calmer than hectic resident Rabia who said I may need emergency surgery on that day. He gave me similiar neurological exams. One or two of them were seeing how my leg or arm muscles handle his hand pushing it. (I am sure my mom can explain it more clearly than I do.)

While we waited, we dealt with really stupid doctor who came to us and asked me if I willing to try ice cube experiment on my neck. I thought he was part of team working on my urgent case on that day. Turned out he want me to participate in his medical research. I told him no and fortunately, I was too distraught to get up and chase him. Then Dr. Proctor came back after discussion with Dr. Joseph Madsen and told me they will make final decision after X-Ray. That's when I began freaking out. So, I went in for X-Ray. Technican put me in many insane positions for imaging which left me stiff for couple of days. So, I came back to neurosurgeon office. I saw Dr. Scott pass by hall. We sighed with relief and know I may go home on that night. Dr. Proctor and Rabia (she was more calmer) came back and said my shunt was malfunctioned. I was sad to hear news but I was glad to able to go to visit with my cousins during weekend. If I missed that trip, I won't able to see my cousin Tricia and Melissa!

I am having surgery on next Friday to replace old tube with new tube.

I wonder if everyone in AllDeaf or have family who have hydrocephalus?

Sean

I developed hydrocephalus when I was 1 day old due to intra-ventricular hemorrhage. I had my first shunt tube inserted when I was 6 months old.

I had my last shunt tube replaced when I was 7 since I outgrow last one that I got at age 2 due to shunt malfunction.

I began having headaches on April 25. I was not too alarmed since I also developed sinus infection on that weekend. It was Friday night. It just come and go. My mom said "We need to keep eyes on your headaches because it may be related to shunt." Of course, I freaked out. Then couple of weeks later, I became more alarmed when our Massachusetts senator was diagnosed with malignant brain tumor. My mother already had 70 year old friend who were battling with malignant brain tumor. I became really more alarmed. I asked my mom to make appointment with my long time neurosurgeon, Michael Scott for check up. We went there on May 28. He was not too alarmed because I passed neurological examination that he gave me. Then he arranged cat-scan and X-Ray on June 19 (Day before we go to Pennsylvania for my cousin Julie's wedding. Her grandmother was sister to my grandfather McCauley). Anyway, we got into radiology department and was pleasantly surprised to find that they arranged sign language interpreter for my both appointments. My cat-scan was 30 minutes delayed due to dispute with health insurance. Finally, they got through. They got me on board. I knew something was wrong when I was idle on board and way how they move it to take pictures of my head. I usually get off in 2-5 minutes but I was on there for 15 minutes on that day. My mom told we had to see Dr. Scott since scan showed slightly enlarged ventricle. Dr. Scott was not in. So, Dr. Mark Proctor took our case. He was very nice and more calmer than hectic resident Rabia who said I may need emergency surgery on that day. He gave me similiar neurological exams. One or two of them were seeing how my leg or arm muscles handle his hand pushing it. (I am sure my mom can explain it more clearly than I do.)

While we waited, we dealt with really stupid doctor who came to us and asked me if I willing to try ice cube experiment on my neck. I thought he was part of team working on my urgent case on that day. Turned out he want me to participate in his medical research. I told him no and fortunately, I was too distraught to get up and chase him. Then Dr. Proctor came back after discussion with Dr. Joseph Madsen and told me they will make final decision after X-Ray. That's when I began freaking out. So, I went in for X-Ray. Technican put me in many insane positions for imaging which left me stiff for couple of days. So, I came back to neurosurgeon office. I saw Dr. Scott pass by hall. We sighed with relief and know I may go home on that night. Dr. Proctor and Rabia (she was more calmer) came back and said my shunt was malfunctioned. I was sad to hear news but I was glad to able to go to visit with my cousins during weekend. If I missed that trip, I won't able to see my cousin Tricia and Melissa!

I am having surgery on next Friday to replace old tube with new tube.

I wonder if everyone in AllDeaf or have family who have hydrocephalus?

Sean

Hi Sean.

I was born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus. Actually, we're NOT sure if I was BORN with the hydrocephalus, but it developed when I was just a few days old. They did surgery to close the defect on my back when I was two days old. Then, they waited to see if hydrocephalus would develop and it did. I was shunted at just three weeks of age. Kids frequently outgrow their shunts, so I ended up having my shunts revised 11 times by the time I was 3 yrs old. I'm now almost forty, and I've had roughly 15 shunt revisions in all. The last one occured at age 13. I've not had any problems with my shunt since then, but I know that there may come a day when I might have to have my current shunt replaced. I'm also not looking forward to it, because the shunt I have now directs the excess cerebral spinal fluid directly into blood stream via the aorta.

Good luck with your surgery! Keep us posted on how it went.

Back