Hybrid CI's

C-NICE

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDn50CeePvE]YouTube - Hybrid Cochlear Implant[/ame]

One word: Transposition!

My HAs offer transposition which shifts the high frequencies downwards. You do need enough residual hearing at the 1500Hz cutoff to benefit however. There are other HAs that transpose sounds much further down, like 750Hz or even 500Hz. I know someone who couldn't hear above 750Hz, yet she hears the high frequencies because they have been transposed down to a frequency of 750Hz or lower.

The hybrid CIs don't work well, ive read about and know a few who tried it. They still lost alot of residual hearing. What's worse is they are now missing out on the low frequencies and will require a 2nd CI operation for a longer electrode if they want to hear the lows again. CIs are great for those with no or very, very little residual hearing. For those with plenty of residual hearing, lots of different HAs to choose from including several with transposition.

Here's an article showing the benefits of transposition. There's hundreds more such articles and case studies, do a Google search.

Critical Factors in Ensuring Efficacy of Frequency Transposition | March 2007 | The Hearing Industry Resource

One word: Transposition!

My HAs offer transposition which shifts the high frequencies downwards. You do need enough residual hearing at the 1500Hz cutoff to benefit however. There are other HAs that transpose sounds much further down, like 750Hz or even 500Hz. I know someone who couldn't hear above 750Hz, yet she hears the high frequencies because they have been transposed down to a frequency of 750Hz or lower.

The hybrid CIs don't work well, ive read about and know a few who tried it. They still lost alot of residual hearing. What's worse is they are now missing out on the low frequencies and will require a 2nd CI operation for a longer electrode if they want to hear the lows again. CIs are great for those with no or very, very little residual hearing. For those with plenty of residual hearing, lots of different HAs to choose from including several with transposition.

Here's an article showing the benefits of transposition. There's hundreds more such articles and case studies, do a Google search.

Critical Factors in Ensuring Efficacy of Frequency Transposition | March 2007 | The Hearing Industry Resource

What type of hearing aids can do that?

What type of hearing aids can do that?

Not sure......... but that sounds like compression, and most of the higher ends do that now, but they call it different things I have Naida V UP from Phonak, Phonak calls it sound recover. I don't think it's actually turned on on mine though my hearing in my lower frequencies isn't much better than in the high, they're good for someone with a sloping hearing loss. Say your hearing is at 50db at 500hz.......but 100db at 3Khz

Not sure......... but that sounds like compression, and most of the higher ends do that now, but they call it different things I have Naida V UP from Phonak, Phonak calls it sound recover. I don't think it's actually turned on on mine though my hearing in my lower frequencies isn't much better than in the high, they're good for someone with a sloping hearing loss. Say your hearing is at 50db at 500hz.......but 100db at 3Khz

My sound recover is turned on even tho my low frequency is slightly worse then my highs. Noticed a huge benefit when sound recover is turned on rather then off on both HAs.

Sound Recover can work for just about any loss according to an Audi on hearingaidforums.

Oh? I have an appointment for another fitting next wednesday, I'll have to look or ask him about it.

Oh? I have an appointment for another fitting next wednesday, I'll have to look or ask him about it.

If it isn't turned on, definely try it. I know some people don't like it as it will sound weird for a little while as sounds are compressed. I personally didn't find it to sound weird as I could hear things so was happy. Always turn it off if you find it doesn't help :)

There are different setting of sound recover and I know mine is set to maximum so is compressing as much as it can but not actually sure what it is compressing to what frequencies, etc :)

sound recover is different from compression. Compression makes it so loud sounds don't get unbearably loud... my old audi (my HA audi that is) told me most adults aren't too fond of compression, and can understand better without it on. compression basically compresses the loud sounds, But sound recover is different. Sound recover takes in high frequency and converts it to a lower frequency... it doesn't compress the sound, just converts the frequency.

sound recover is different from compression. Compression makes it so loud sounds don't get unbearably loud... my old audi (my HA audi that is) told me most adults aren't too fond of compression, and can understand better without it on. compression basically compresses the loud sounds, But sound recover is different. Sound recover takes in high frequency and converts it to a lower frequency... it doesn't compress the sound, just converts the frequency.

Yes, that's frequency compression, I was not very exact oops :)

Personally I liked the sound of my analogs, my first hearing aids best. At least until I lost too much hearing for them and to turn it up loud enough to understand anything I'd get very very loud feedback.

I'm not too sure exactly how sound recover works but it sure helps me in my basically flat profound loss.

Can you have sound recover on and not the compression then, as I hate when I'm in loud places I actually hear less as it compresses to much, I believe.

I'm not too sure exactly how sound recover works but it sure helps me in my basically flat profound loss.

Can you have sound recover on and not the compression then, as I hate when I'm in loud places I actually hear less as it compresses to much, I believe.

Yes you can have sound recover on, but have compression off. Thats how I was when My HA's were useful... now my audi just has my HA turned up as loud as it will go

The Spice Sound Recover algorithm offers an even wider frequency bandwidth, which means that even for those with more severe hearing losses and lower cut off frequencies, access to frequencies above 8000hz is still possible.

Does it actually mean with Sound Recover, I am hearing upto 8000hz as Naida S UP say they only go upto 4,900hz.

Yes you can have sound recover on, but have compression off. Thats how I was when My HA's were useful... now my audi just has my HA turned up as loud as it will go

Just watched a short film on Phonak website and they state Sound Recover is compression.

The real question is why anybody takes anything deaf guy dude seriously.

The real question is why anybody takes anything deaf guy dude seriously.

oh he was on a while back foaming at the mouth about stem cells. He doesn't understand that the value of stem cells is still very much a question mark when it comes to hearing loss.

I don't think it's actually turned on on mine though my hearing in my lower frequencies isn't much better than in the high

My lows are worse but mine is turned on and I noticed a huge different in my understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for my fitting this morning, Im actually still not sure of the sound recover is turned on, but I told him that I've been wanting to turn it up louder but when I do I get feedback. He made some adjustments, I forget exactly how he put it, but he changed the compression so it wouldn't compress the sounds so much. For the most part it's much better. I went to subway earlier and while there their timers starting going off, holy crap!! The sound felt like it was peircing my ear drum, that was pretty brutal, but hey I heard it lol

I went for my fitting this morning, Im actually still not sure of the sound recover is turned on, but I told him that I've been wanting to turn it up louder but when I do I get feedback. He made some adjustments, I forget exactly how he put it, but he changed the compression so it wouldn't compress the sounds so much. For the most part it's much better. I went to subway earlier and while there their timers starting going off, holy crap!! The sound felt like it was peircing my ear drum, that was pretty brutal, but hey I heard it lol

Hopefully it's a good adjustment and your brain will get used to the new noise :)

For the first week or so with sound recover I could "hear" /s/ and /sh/ but it sounded lispy. Even when I spoke it sounded like I was lisping so I sort of...refused to talk for a few days. I still talked but just gave one word answers....
But eventually I got used to it and I can definitely tell when sound recover is off (I have a music program that doesn't do any frequency compression).

I have the same trouble with high pitched noises. I think it is a problem with recruitment. At my last audiogram I noticed that at the very loudest high pitched sounds I only heard static. I told the audiologist about it and it probably means I have a dead region. Yay....
But with my hearing aids high pitched sounds can be painful.
Luckily after my most recent audiogram my new audiologist finally believed me that high pitches hurt and distort sounds and make speech much harder to understand, so she dialed back the high pitches and boosted the bass.
I no longer flinch when I turn my hearing aids on which means that I wear them more often (I even wear them a bit when I'm home alone! I used to take them out as soon as there were no hearing people around (except my fiancé))

Back