How well do deaf and hearing friendships work out?

Lovee'

Reaction score
I'm getting kind of good at ASL :) and I wanted to learn more because I thinks it's more intresting then spanish or something. :D So I was searching websites were, like, hearing people could talk to deaf or hard of hearing people. But google sucks -____- And I would like to have connectionns with someone (who's not creepy) online. So is there any other websites besides this that has vlogs as well? Oh, I'm a teenager, btw. Please & Thank you :)

I'm getting kind of good at ASL :) and I wanted to learn more because I thinks it's more intresting then spanish or something. :D So I was searching websites were, like, hearing people could talk to deaf or hard of hearing people. But google sucks -____- And I would like to have connectionns with someone (who's not creepy) online. So is there any other websites besides this that has vlogs as well? Oh, I'm a teenager, btw. Please & Thank you :)

Sorry kid, we are all very creepy! BOO!!!!!

Hey, come on guys. At least this one has manners. She said "please and thank you.":P

Personally, a friendship between a hearing person and a deaf person can be done. I have quite a few friends who are hearing. The main thing I would see is communication issues and that is something to be worked out between the friends.

I don't have a problem with my deaf / hearing relationships.

If you are good at ASL, then you probably won't have any problem communicating with the young people (your age).

But there are times that hearing people and deaf people don't really get along when the hearing people expect the deaf people to understand without sign language for communicating. If some deaf people can lipread, but really lipreading is not accurate like Sue Thomas, FBI or any of the movies or T.V. program claiming that deaf people can lipread 100% accurate. False as it is not true at all.

I am really on the side with all Deaf AD members, too. We still have problem with hearing family members who don't use ASL at all and we get unhappy or frustrated trying to understand what they saying. Also not good to understand with strangers who have no idea what deafness is like and what Deaf Culture is. The hearing people as part of society ignore us and think we can learn to listen with CIs or hearing aids.

The battle between hearing and d/Deaf people are at war all the time for many centuries. Still the same old thing over and over. Nothing new. So why you asked question about that? :roll:

(flicks nose with fingers) ; ) silly deafies to make fun of zoo customers. Who will toss us peanuts? (ppbbbfffllllt)

By the way, stop by the monkey thread. More to see there as there are pics.
LOL

Probably the biggest problem I had/have is with hearing people not making sure that I understand what is going on. When a bunch of them get together and start talking, I cannot understand what is being talked about. There are too many overlapping voices. Sometimes, if I ask, "What are you talking about?" they become impatient and either ignore me or give me a quick word or two, which is said too quickly and I still didn't hear it.

I'd guess the biggest problem is the level of patience and tolerance for my communication needs. It isn't easy to find hearing friends who are "perfect" this way.

I am starting to learn ASL, so I hope to make new friends in the Deaf community where I live. I am hoping for an easier time talking to people and an easier time being social.

(flicks nose with fingers) ; ) silly deafies to make fun of zoo customers. Who will toss us peanuts? (ppbbbfffllllt)

By the way, stop by the monkey thread. More to see there as there are pics.
LOL

Pictures! Of cute baby monkeys I hope!!

Back