How Much Does Your State Fine For Texting and Driving?

There are no street signs like that in my area. I live near Long Beach.

because cities or counties don't want to reveal a real price of traffic citation.

Speeding - $350
Running the red stop - $565
Failure to click the seatbelt - $250
No license - $950
No insurance - $835
Reckless - $1,200
Racing on highway - $1,600 or 250 hours of community service
DUI - $5,645 or one year in county jail
Litter - $2,000
No headlight - $500
Failure to stop for school bus - $1,300

What's really strictest ever. Don't break any laws, CrazyPaul!!!

Don't forget about court cost too - cost more than $30 if combined with court cost.

In here, texting while driving may result in $200 ticket because of court cost - $175 court cost + $25 fine = $200. If you opt to have trial so total fine could increase to $400-$500.

A repeat offender I see. :giggle:

I think California should offer $5,000 to have one point removed from driving record, so I bet many rich people will happily to pay $5,000 for every one point removed, 6 points - pay $30,000 to have all 6 points removed. This state will get a lot of new revenues from citation that used to improving the road, improving the social service, improving public transportation, etc.

What's great CHP Service! :lol:

I think California should offer $5,000 to have one point removed from driving record, so I bet many rich people will happily to pay $5,000 for every one point removed, 6 points - pay $30,000 to have all 6 points removed. This state will get a lot of new revenues from citation that used to improving the road, improving the social service, improving public transportation, etc.

What's great CHP Service! :lol:
Nah, it will never happen.

Because it's not fair to other people who can't afford it. For example, a person gets 6 points so his DL is suspended while a person gets 6 points but he pays $30k to have them removed so his DL is not suspended. Not fair! That's called cheating.

I would not be surprised if that did actually happen, there is always cover up in the police, governments etc to not having a point in the record.

Maryland is $75..

Since then I have seen less people using their phones while driving. Also, do you all think the Smartphones make it harder with the smooth feel? With the Sidekick, it was so easy to keep my eyes on the road while texting but with the Smartphone, it is too hard. Yes, I was wrong for doing that back then but I have realized that it is not worth putting my and others lives in danger.

because cities or counties don't want to reveal a real price of traffic citation.

Speeding - $350
Running the red stop - $565
Failure to click the seatbelt - $250
No license - $950
No insurance - $835
Reckless - $1,200
Racing on highway - $1,600 or 250 hours of community service
DUI - $5,645 or one year in county jail
Litter - $2,000
No headlight - $500
Failure to stop for school bus - $1,300

What's really strictest ever. Don't break any laws, CrazyPaul!!!

My ex husband stopped for traffic light right on a crosswalk and a policeman gave him a warning. There is a fine for stopping on a crosswalk in my city ,but if you stop behind a crosswalk at any street you can't see the oncoming traffic, and I think my city did that to make more $$$ on tickets.

There are no street signs like that in my area. I live near Long Beach.

Long Beach NY?

Pulled from the NYS DMV:
For a first offense, the minimum fine is $50 and maximum fine increases to $150.
For a second offense committed within 18 months, the minimum fine is $50 and the maximum fine increases to $200.
For a third or subsequent offense committed within 18 months, the minimum fine is $50 and the maximum fine increases to $400.

We also get points added. 5 points per charge. After 11 points you loose your license and obviously more points means more $$ on insurance.

Interesting - I saw they started adding pull off points along my local highway (dubbed the Northway) specifically for texting. I saw it for the first time 3 days ago.

in NY - it's $150 plus 5 points

in NJ - a person texting to a driver can be held legally liable for accident assuming that he/she knew a person was driving.

Ohio law, texting and driving for teens is a primary offense. It’s a $150 fine and license suspension for 60 days for a minor’s first violation. The second violation is a $300 fine and license suspension for a year.

Drivers younger than 18 are not able to use any portable electronic devices while driving. (That means no texting, calling, e-mailing or using a GPS device.)

I just saw a woman yesterday texting and driving at the same time and her eyes where not on the road at all! GRRR! This piss me off , if that woman want to crash up fine but don't put other drivers at risk!

We have a pretty dramatic legislature up here. They gave the oil companies a 1 billion dollar a year tax break this session. I think they are hoping the texting fines will make up for the fact that we will be deficit spending next year if we have our present budget. When you read me making remarks about the far right there is reason I balk at their dealings. They control everything up here and it is an upside down and backwards world. It was not always this way.
The biggest offenders of course are the police. They are constantly on their vehicle computers running license plate numbers and so on while driving. There have been accidents caused by them doing this.

Back