How many of you....

How many of you____ a home?

• Own

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Rent

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
Interesting! It's funny some of you think owning is cheaper...but that's your opinion. Gotta think about pest control costs, a new furnance and other things. It depends on the house you buy, of course.

That's why I have a home owner's warranty. When our furnance broke down last fall and had to be replaced, it only costed us $600 instead of the $6,000 because of the warranty. Now, we have an energy efficient furnance so more money will be saved on the electric bill. So far, it has proved correct throughout the winter.

Interesting! It's funny some of you think owning is cheaper...but that's your opinion. Gotta think about pest control costs, a new furnance and other things. It depends on the house you buy, of course.
And homeowner insurance, taxes, etc.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Miss-Delectable said:
Neither if you want me to be technical. I only pay board.

For me, it's expensive to rent or buy!

Rental vacancy is at its all time lowest, so quite hard to find a property to rent.

One of my dreams is to own a house.

What does paying board mean? I never hard of that before.

shel90 said:

That's why I have a home owner's warranty. When our furnance broke down last fall and had to be replaced, it only costed us $600 instead of the $6,000 because of the warranty. Now, we have an energy efficient furnance so more money will be saved on the electric bill. So far, it has proved correct throughout the winter.

Big discount there.

It also makes a difference if we are talking about renting a house or an apartment. If it is an apartment you cut out landscaping fees as well and most apartments (at least here) don't have a water bill or trash collection bill.

Like paying for the food you eat.
Sometimes known as Room & Board (a room and meals). My mom had us pay room & board when we got jobs to teach us what it would be like if we had to live on our own (pay rent, etc). She didn't charge a lot (I think 10% of our take home pay). It was more for the lesson/experience than for her. When we moved out, she gave the $$ back to us (she'd put it into savings accounts). I will probably do the same with my daughter.

Neither if you want me to be technical. I only pay board.

For me, it's expensive to rent or buy!

Rental vacancy is at its all time lowest, so quite hard to find a property to rent.

One of my dreams is to own a house.

I m meaning room & board? right?

Kinda like sublet housing/shared living. Basically rent a room or something. I used to live in that environment before.

In our case, we do not pay rent or a mortgage, but we do pay our own phone and food and do the majority of the chores.

KristinaB said:
In our case, we do not pay rent or a mortgage, but we do pay our own phone and food and do the majority of the chores.

Lucky you!

My husband and I live in a house where we have to pay to the Band Office every month. We want to own the house in our already paid property (many and many years like generations). The Band Office torn the old cottage down. The Band Office built the house for us on my husband's property in 2001. We are still paying for it ten years now. We don't have mortgage. :( After we pay off in the future, then we will own the house free from worry. It is almost like rent to own. It is the same like "All In The Family" where Archie and Edith burn the paper after they have finished the payment on the house and owned the house forever. No worry. Our payment for the house will be a long, long way to go.

I put the "own" in the poll. Okay? :)

My husband and I live in a house where we have to pay to the Band Office every month. We want to own the house in our already paid property (many and many years like generations). The Band Office torn the old cottage down. The Band Office built the house for us on my husband's property in 2001. We are still paying for it ten years now. We don't have mortgage. :( After we pay off in the future, then we will own the house free from worry. It is almost like rent to own. It is the same like "All In The Family" where Archie and Edith burn the paper after they have finished the payment on the house and owned the house forever. No worry. Our payment for the house will be a long, long way to go.

I put the "own" in the poll. Okay? :)

That's something different and new thing I have not heard of before....it sounded like rent to own kinda of thing, though.

What is a Band Office? I've never heard of a system like that. I don't understand how it's not a mortgage if you're still paying for the home 10 years later, and still have many years to go?

You build equity over time as you own a house.
In theory, yes, but as we've seen over the last few years, not always. Plenty of people are "upside down" and owe more than their homes are worth. Not a good situation to be in if you need to sell.

A good friend of mine had a home built for him as he got ready to retire. But after using it for about 7 years, he decided it really wasn't for him and he wanted city living after all. (The home was out in a rural area.) So he sold it, but it cost him something like $30,000 or more to sell it, money that he had to bring to closing, as he could not sell it for even what he paid for it, much less make a profit.

What is a Band Office? I've never heard of a system like that. I don't understand how it's not a mortgage if you're still paying for the home 10 years later, and still have many years to go?

My husband and I live on the reservation (First Nation Reserve) and we live up the country from the village (like a small town). My husband had a cottage that has no running water and no bathroom (he had to use the toilet hut outside). The cottage is very small actually smaller than our house which is still small to us. We never pay to the bank in another town for the house payment.

The Band Office is a status for Indians and we have a Chief and Council that make the decisions on who get the house, water, garbage, and many other issues (options). It is almost like a government office. They always have meetings every week for us, Natives. We had come to the meeting to talk with our Chief and Council about obtaining a house for us in replacing the old cottage. The Chief and Council listened to us and decided that we can have the new house built on my husband's property. So we got our house already build in September, 2001.

We paid to the Band Office and they take care of the payment to the bank themselves. :cool2:

Interesting. So do you officially own the house or are your payments more like rent, and the Council actually owns it?

Sequoias: Here is how equity works. Say you buy a house for $100,000, with a low down payment of $3,000. You now have $3,000 equity (value) in the home, and a $97,000 mortgage. Let's say property values go up (as they used to do), and the next year, houses similar to yours sell for $110,000. It is fair to assume your house is worth the same as these others.

You now have an additional $10,000 in equity, plus the $3,000 you put in, plus about $1500 in principal that you would pay off in a year's time (out of your mortgage payments of principal plus interest). So you now have about $14,400 in equity, and have only paid for about $4500 of that; the rest came from the rise in value of your property.

As the years go on, you can see that if property values continue to rise, you will have increasing equity that is more than what you yourself have paid, although you will also be paying interest to the bank all this time, as well.

Conversely, let's start with the same example, but let's say property values go down by $10,000 in a year. Now you have a house worth $90,000, and a mortgage that is about $95,500 ($97,000 minus the $1500 you have paid in principal). You owe more than what the house could sell for, so you are "under water."

Banks really don't like that situation, so they would prefer that you come up with 10 or 20% down, so that you are taking somewhat more of the risk, as compared to them taking nearly all of it.

Being under-water on your loan doesn't mean a thing if you don't need to sell, though. It's all a hypothetical situation until you want to sell it. Most often, if you hold on to a property long enough, you will make money on it. If you have to sell before you have owned it very long, though, you might very easily lose money on it, especially considering closing costs, etc., that you will never get back.

Back