How many of you ride bicycles in the winter?

That is exactly why I don't ride at night-- because of this.

I understand how it can happen. It is human nature to go too far. It is just too risky for me around traffic. I do not trust drivers that much and I have had enough close calls. Out where there is no conflict with vehicles now that is paradise for me. Bring on the bike paths and bike trails! It would be a blast to have a bike club that had rights to big hunk of National Forest or a giant private tree farm. I saw a cool inholding in the Shawnee National Forest down there that would be stone perfect for a parking area, lodge, everything a bike club could want on a big enough hunk of ground for everyone to park bicycles all over and set up tents as well. Cheap. Perfect set up. All the utilities. The lodge building is huge, 5000 sq.ft. , it is only an acre and a quarter but 40k. If not a bike rider is good for long distance running and hiking.

Last edited:
I understand how it can happen. It is human nature to go too far. It is just too risky for me around traffic. I do not trust drivers that much and I have had enough close calls. Out where there is no conflict with vehicles now that is paradise for me. Bring on the bike paths and bike trails! It would be a blast to have a bike club that had rights to big hunk of National Forest or a giant private tree farm. I saw a cool inholding in the Shawnee National Forest down there that would be stone perfect for a parking area, lodge, everything a bike club could want on a big enough hunk of ground for everyone to park bicycles all over and set up tents as well. Cheap. Perfect set up. All the utilities. The lodge building is huge, 5000 sq.ft. , it is only an acre and a quarter but 40k. If not a bike rider is good for long distance running and hiking.

That sounds like fun. Smores, anyone? And a bonfire?

Gack! no! When the high is 0, I barely go outside, much less ride a bike out there. Props to anyone who does though, takes a tough person to handle being out in the winter weather here.

Gack! no! When the high is 0, I barely go outside, much less ride a bike out there. Props to anyone who does though, takes a tough person to handle being out in the winter weather here.

I live near Lake Michigan, so when it's wintertime, it's warmer here. However, when it's summertime, it's cooler here. Odd, but true, and if I venture out west (Which I rarely do, unless I'm going to the Walmart in Niles, IL), it'll be BONE-CHILLING cold.

I spent some time researching the Shawnee National Forest. It is a big hunk of ground down there in Southern Il. Where that inholding hunk of property is I am still sorting out. It was a Church. It is a huge open building. The rectangular lot is mostly cleared. There is a creek across part of it as well. There is singletrack MTB trails all over the Forest. Not all trails are MTB trails. The Forest is a huge area. For 40K that would be an awesome Deaf and Hoh Forest Activities Club. There is three websites for the Forest that pretty much cover what it is if you google Shawnee National Forest they come up. The Club can have a used Sprinter Van for a shuttle bus and go pick up people coming in by train or bus. A Sprinter can tow a 5 thousand pound trailer too. Membership cost should be very very reasonable. Especially if it can be put into a nonprofit or something.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

goodonya said:

I spent some time researching the Shawnee National Forest. It is a big hunk of ground down there in Southern Il. Where that inholding hunk of property is I am still sorting out. It was a Church. It is a huge open building. The rectangular lot is mostly cleared. There is a creek across part of it as well. There is singletrack MTB trails all over the Forest. Not all trails are MTB trails. The Forest is a huge area. For 40K that would be an awesome Deaf and Hoh Forest Activities Club. There is three websites for the Forest that pretty much cover what it is if you google Shawnee National Forest they come up. The Club can have a used Sprinter Van for a shuttle bus and go pick up people coming in by train or bus. A Sprinter can tow a 5 thousand pound trailer too. Membership cost should be very very reasonable. Especially if it can be put into a nonprofit or something.

Hey, I used to live right in that area ages ago! Shawnee..... that's east of St. Louis, but north of Carbondale. I think it's close by either Mt. Vernon or Centralia, IL.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

Hey, I used to live right in that area ages ago! Shawnee..... that's east of St. Louis, but north of Carbondale. I think it's close by either Mt. Vernon or Centralia, IL.

I just looked up a map of it with Google. Just as I thought it is south and east of ALL the places you mentioned. It is in the southeast corner of Illinois with the Ohio River along the south east edge. There is a visitor center in Harrisburg.

Bike riding is very easy year round down here. The only times not suggested are during Tropical Storms and Hurricanes, otherwise, temps are good for it.

I have doctor's orders that I am NOT allowed to ride a bike anymore. It's all I can do just to walk without falling anymore. I miss bike riding.

I did it one year (actually tried to ride as much as possible and drive as little as possible for a full calendar year, including the winter - I only put 1,000 miles on my car that year - I got a bike trailer for grocery shopping and everything) but haven't ridden nearly that much since because my health hasn't been so great. Hopefully I'll get through some of the stuff setting me back and do it again sometime.

Anyway, winter riding: if it's really cold you have to think about your clothes/gear. Base layer **not** cotton (you'll sweat on it and it'll hold the moisture, which becomes cold later, against your skin.) Better to wear something made of a wicking fabric for your inside layer. Then something fleece over that and then whatever you're doing for an outer jacket (think about blocking the wind for that, also maybe something reflective for visibility. Although you should also have good lights and reflectors if you need to ride on the roads at night.)

I clip in, so I got a pair of bike boots to go over my bike shoes, which kept my feet pretty warm, but I also wore warm socks. Some kind of helmet cover is a good idea too, if you've been wearing a helmet with lots of ventilation (brrr.) You don't have to buy commercial stuff - you could even use something like saran wrap from your kitchen, but you want to cover all the holes.

If it gets cold enough to need a ski-mask type thing, and you wear glasses, they can fog up easiy, but there are products you can apply to the lenses that keeps that from happening. One is called cat crap. Yeah, that's not a typo.

I wear winter bike pants, and jeans on top of that (sometimes for an extra layer, sometimes for decency if I'm running errands.) Serious winter bike gloves with a separate liner (good for getting keys out, locking up your bike, without stripping all the way down to fingers.)

We sometimes get icy stretches here, so I got myself a pair of studded tires for my beater hybrid. Those are **amazing**. I had a friend who lived way up in the woods: the road to his house was like a big windy dirt path that went up this uneven climb, and in the winter it was covered with this thick layer of ice. There is no way I could have riden on that using regular tires, but with the studs, I'd fly straight up it like it was nothing. They just grab the ice.

I thought it was lots of fun riding in the winter, even when it got cold. You really warm up pretty quickly, so it's not as bad as it looks. People sitting in their cars waiting for them to warm up might actually be colder, because they're not pumping their legs like cyclists are. If it was *very* cold, like around 0F, I would limit myself to very short trips. But in the teens and up, sometimes it was like a fantasy world, having the place to yourself - so many people just don't do it. There were even times when the roads were too difficult for cars to travel on, but I could get around easily on a bike (either with the hybrid with studded tires for ice, or if there was just a massive amount of snow, then I'd take my mountain bike.) Actually doing some mountain biking was a good way to build skills for biking after a big snow storm.

Anyway, I had a blast. I would encourage anyone to try if they have the inclination:)

Bicycle riding was a fav of mine for years...but after falling into ditches :giggle: and on the pavement several times, I gave it up and just go on the Treadmill....Even elevators, escalators and steep steps throws my balance off.

My Dad did not believe in kids having little bikes with training wheels and all of that. So my first bike was a full size Schwinn with the biggest front sprocket I ever saw. We lived on a hill.
The big kids tried to help me learn but the fun would wear off watching little goodonya make it about twenty feet and auger in.
The older boy across the street that was on ski patrol and went on to be a paramedic made up his mind to teach me. The way he did it was jogging alongside holding the bike up as long as it took while I pumped the pedals that I could barely reach.
It took a long time. Eventually it happened he let go and did not have to save me.
I was on that bike everywhere after that. It was one big heavy bike. I pulled the fenders off and rode the military roads through the woods I was always alone and going as far as I could. It was a blast.
The funny thing was looking back it occurred to me to disobey Dad and find an easier bike to learn on but... you did not mess with a Dad back then.
I have some funny pictures somewhere I got my apprentice to take of me riding my bike through the snow at a job we were on a few years back. I used to take the mountain bike with me everywhere. I got my first helmet a couple of years ago. I never got around to the screws in the tires. Wanted to but didn't get around to it... smiles...

The one thing I hate about my area is how short our bike riding season is...shorter still if you work out of state and don't get home until late...it limits me to weekends only. I hope I can find a new job in my state in 2014. I miss being physically active and out and about with my bike.

The Deaf and Hoh Bike and Forest Activities Club would I think work there in Southern Illinois in the Shawnee National Forest. The cost of living down there is very inexpensive too so that would help make the Club more a more viable thing. The overall Forest is only 288,000 acres but there is a lot of other riding and exploring opportunities around there as well.
The Club location with the road on one side and woods all around could be easily fenced so people could bring dogs and kids to introduce them to the woods in a non chaotic way while getting settled in with others and meeting new people and old friends. The building is huge and would give plenty of indoor space for all kinds of stuff. Everything from a snakebite/tick learning and preparation station to you name it.
The small towns around there have homes for sale really inexpensive that would make it easy to add to the Club and provide lodging if we could get the nonprofit thing going.

The one thing I hate about my area is how short our bike riding season is...shorter still if you work out of state and don't get home until late...it limits me to weekends only. I hope I can find a new job in my state in 2014. I miss being physically active and out and about with my bike.

Here in Chicago, bicycle season begins in April, and ends around November or so, but for those who are hardcore bicycle riders, they keep going. Me? I'm not quite there yet.

You can be one of the Club directors if you can figure out how to set up a nonprofit in Illinois :wave: There are enough of us to create our own economy down there. One of the statutes can be that you are guaranteed all the bike riding you want.

Back