How many of you like to save coins in a large container and watch it grow?

I save coins not to watch it grow in a jar, but rather to give as change if I ran a dollar or 2 short.

I don't remember the last time I had cash on me to have coins.... :shock:

Oh okay, when I went to Romania I had to do a couple currency trades to Euros..... but that was the last time I had hard money on me. Went back to the bank and re-deposited it when I got back. :P

Speaking of containers-- I also have a couple of pickle jars, and does anyone know how to get rid of the pickle-y smell so I don't bring coins that smells like pickles?

Who cares if they smell like pickles. Money is money.

I have a tall glass jar that once contained the spaghetti type pasta. Used that as my coin container. Took me about 4-5 years to fill it up completely with all sorts of coins (including a few dollar coins I discovered- I usually keep those out). Rolled them all up and put it in the bank. the total? 299.50 LMAO short by 50 cents to get 300 bucks lol. Money is spent though- By that point I was out of a job.

I've restarted it again too but interesting idea to separate out the pennies and maybe just do the higher value coins.

By the way- don't wrap coins if you use the CoinStar type machines. I didn't bother with it because now it only gives back gift cards and won't give you cash in paper money outright. Most banks will still accept rolled coins.

I buy Silver Eagles for two dollars above the market value. Today the asking price for silver is $20.27, so I can buy an Eagle (99.99% silver) for 22.27. When the asking price goes up to, say, 33.25, I can sell it for two dollars below the market value, i.e., 31.25. You can buy and sell at the same shop. Some pawnshops offer good deals as well, but take care they do not short you too much.
Hope this helps.

I don't know a lot about coins so can you educate me? Let's say that the asking price is $33.25. I buy your coin for $31.25. I sell it for $33.25. I only make a $2 profit margin. How would pawn shops operate making $2 profit.

See, I would not waste my time buying a bike for $40 and then selling it for $45 6 months later. I would want to make profit fast. Therefore, if the asking price was $33.25 and happens to dip to $27.25, then the store will have to wait until the price goes back up. Is that worth the trouble?

I have separated the higher value coins and the pennies, and now they can grow separately on their own. I'm also gonna add my dollar bills to the container where my higher value coins are, and go from there. Mind you, I have got a long way to go, though.

I live in Ontario, and last year they 'phased out' the penny- now our change gets rounded to the nearest 5 cents. Definitely makes the change jar a lot lighter. You know those stacks of blank cds that you can buy, that have a plastic dome top that screws onto the base? I use that for my change right now, doesn't take up much room but as Canada uses $1 and $2 coins instead of bills, you can fit a lot of coins into a smaller container :) My boyfriend and I use that as our 'date night' money!

Back