How many of you have two cochlear implants?

Not to finger point at you GarnetTigerMom, but you bought up an interesting point.

I've read some of the posts and people (I notice more anti-ciers say this), say that they don't want to risk headaches from the CI.

My question is - HOW do you know that you're getting headaches from the CI itself? I would think getting a headache is a normal part of living. I do get migraines, and I most certainly do not blame it on the fact that I have CI.

IF people are talking about "achy" head from the coil - then you get a weaker magnet.
IF people are talking about the "surgical" pain, where the side of the head feels numb or slightly tingling - That's normal. Take Vitamin B and you will heal just fine. The nerve cells are regenerating, and it takes time.

I just do not understand why people blame the CI for getting a headache. I would say most likely not. Feel free to criticize me.

Actually I never get headache everyday until I got C.I. if I wear it all day too long I get headache. So I believe the manget what affected me the most and nothing to do with the coil. Hearing music, noises are great and no regrets. But I do get some headaches on and off when wearing C.I. too long. But getting headache daily it not really normal part of living. Before I use hearing aid, I never have headache from it before C.I. came in to the picture. Headache can also cause by stress it normal but everyday to get headache is not always good. But I am not talking about surgical pain. That a different set of issue. Each person is different with C.I. and how they react to it. I prefer to wear C.I. like 6 hours or less is good enough.

Actually I never get headache everyday until I got C.I. if I wear it all day too long I get headache. So I believe the manget what affected me the most and nothing to do with the coil. Hearing music, noises are great and no regrets. But I do get some headaches on and off when wearing C.I. too long. But getting headache daily it not really normal part of living. Before I use hearing aid, I never have headache from it before C.I. came in to the picture. Headache can also cause by stress it normal but everyday to get headache is not always good. But I am not talking about surgical pain. That a different set of issue. Each person is different with C.I. and how they react to it. I prefer to wear C.I. like 6 hours or less is good enough.

True - again, I wasn't pointing at you, I've seen other posts about headache issues. And some do not say, "every day", like yours.

Have you thought about getting a weaker magnet? I had number 3 for two months, but then it actually started to hurt a little bit, I tried to make it as loose as I could. Instead, I got number 2, and it's perfect. Same thing happened to my friend who had ci for 8 years...she wore the Freedom processor, and says to me that her head gets "warm". I told her to get a weaker magnet. She did (number 1!), and now she feels a LOT better.

True - again, I wasn't pointing at you, I've seen other posts about headache issues. And some do not say, "every day", like yours.

Have you thought about getting a weaker magnet? I had number 3 for two months, but then it actually started to hurt a little bit, I tried to make it as loose as I could. Instead, I got number 2, and it's perfect. Same thing happened to my friend who had ci for 8 years...she wore the Freedom processor, and says to me that her head gets "warm". I told her to get a weaker magnet. She did (number 1!), and now she feels a LOT better.

That okay, I know you are not pointing at me. :aw: But It not the magnet that should be weaker. It the level of comfort of C.I. device when audioigist turn up the volume on C.I. So now I am fine with level 1 intead of level 2. :aw:

Interesting discussion on headaches. You both know before my CIs, I had daily migraines. I took heavy medicine with up to 8 pills a day. I did not drive often and was unable to tolerant my hearings aids more than a few hours a day.

Since sugery on July 19th, I have not had a major migraine(small normal headaches). I am off all medicines except maybe an aleve sometimes. I don't have any pain and I drive daily. So for me the surgery was a complete turn around.

BUT
I do notice when I wear only one CI, I do get headaches more often. I don't know if it is too much on on CI or not. I did talk to my doctor about this. He is going to look into it. So to me:

one ci = a headache

two CIs = no headache for me

I also use the smallest magnet

I might go bilateral (2 ci), my appointment with surgeon is on July 9th, to discuss about it :).
If he agree that it'll be good idea and give me better benefits then I'd pick my right ear processor to be BLUE! Lol mini and standard size BTE in blue so its easier to know which goes on which ear lol.
Wish me luck.

My left ear was implanted in Sept. of 04. I just got my right ear implanted this past Tuesday. I don't have headaches so far. just a lot of ringing in my ears. both of them. Anyone have that problem??

It happened with my first. Hopefully it will pass.

My left ear was implanted in Sept. of 04. I just got my right ear implanted this past Tuesday. I don't have headaches so far. just a lot of ringing in my ears. both of them. Anyone have that problem??

If you read back a lot of posts, you'll see that's it's a common occurrence for someone who had surgery to still have ringing. When I had my right ear done last month, the ringings were VERY loud and unbearable at times, but I knew that it will go away soon. As soon as I got activated, the ringings went away.

When I had surgery on my right, for a few days, it sounded like a spit sucker from the dentist. It was horrible! But...it subsided.

Hugs! I wish you best of luck! What company did you go with?

Oh yeah, I have experinces ringing in the ears since I was kid to adult with a hearing aid. When I got implanted with C.I. ringing the ear was less. But I get ringing in the ear maybe a few times but not as often like I used with hearing aid. :aw:

Mangets

I had Magnet # 4 since i had my CI turned on i think, and after few year it caused me to have pain on my manget area in my head. So i had to get Manget# 2 and its much better! But it leads to other problem, since i am older now and the manget #2 falls off cuz i have SPrint Bodyworn. I hate it! So we Are waiting for Lions Club To approve the funding to help to have the Upgrade To the Freedom BTE.

I am sooo Jealous of my Friend cuz she is Bilaterial and she has the Freedom. She recently got activated last week i think.

I wish I could say me lol, but it's not the right time to get another ci right now. I'd like to consider it.

Yes, I had bad ringing after my first surgery too. It improved over the three weeks and then started up a bit more after activation, before decreasing significantly over the following months. Very normal and very common. It will likely improve for you within weeks after activation.

I had Magnet # 4 since i had my CI turned on i think, and after few year it caused me to have pain on my manget area in my head. So i had to get Manget# 2 and its much better! But it leads to other problem, since i am older now and the manget #2 falls off cuz i have SPrint Bodyworn. I hate it! So we Are waiting for Lions Club To approve the funding to help to have the Upgrade To the Freedom BTE.

I am sooo Jealous of my Friend cuz she is Bilaterial and she has the Freedom. She recently got activated last week i think.

if you do consider of getting bilateral. You will get two freedom processors. So, you don't have to pay for the upgrade. You can use your old one to fall back on in case if something goes wrong with the Freedom. I am bilateral, and I have 4 freedom processors. :)

Hello fellaress Georgian, Hope all is well in Georgia today ( got married , kidnapped to Colorado) .. Yes I have ringing in my CI sided ear for the first few weeks after I was fitted with the processor. Now, 2 months later it is not so loud in the ringing dept. My tinnitus did come back somewhat though( drats ).

Many people with HA/CI get stress related headaches from straining all day to comprehend the sounds/speech they are trying to understand all day. It is one of the reason's I went ahead and got the CI, I was giving myself headaches from straining too much everyday just to hear with my 2 HA,s . Now with the CI and HA, I rarely get as severe as a headache as I did the last 2 years with 2 HA,s ( hmm maybe getting married and moving from my beloved south gave me the headaches ) I will ask wifey about that one lol

I thought I replied a long time ago to this, but guess I forgot.

I am a bilateral CI'er, as in I have two CI's. :)

Back