How many languages did you attempt to learn?

At the moment, I'm trying to master pronunciation of English words using IPA. Once I can correctly pronounce Latin, French and Greek borrowed words as well as Medical terms in English, I'll move on to other languages such as Italian and maybe French. However, it is possible I might get side tracked and learn more sign.

At the moment, I'm trying to master pronunciation of English words using IPA. Once I can correctly pronounce Latin, French and Greek borrowed words as well as Medical terms in English, I'll move on to other languages such as Italian and maybe French. However, it is possible I might get side tracked and learn more sign.

There is no such thing as "properly pronounced Latin". It is a dead language. There is no instructive manual for speaking true Latin as it was spoken 2,000 years ago.

Of course, we try to imitate the Latin words in imaginary world whether we like it or not.

There is no such thing as "properly pronounced Latin". It is a dead language. There is no instructive manual for speaking true Latin as it was spoken 2,000 years ago.

Of course, we try to imitate the Latin words in imaginary world whether we like it or not.

Your point is taken, it would have been more correct for me to say I'm looking for the correct or proper translation. It is fair to say that Old English was closer to it than modern English, but both are translations.

However, there is nothing imaginary about a translated language.

Society for Pure English Tract 4: The Pronunciation of English Words Derived from the Latin

It's been a long time, but still can't shake sum es est sumus estes sunt. Amo amas amat, amamus amatis amant. Don't think I can pull passive out of the way-back machine, though. I should leave it there; sometimes dead is better.

It's been a long time, but still can't shake sum es est sumus estes sunt. Amo amas amat, amamus amatis amant. Don't think I can pull passive out of the way-back machine, though. I should leave it there; sometimes dead is better.

you mean "amamvs" :)

Oddly, they didn't do that in our text, I'm sure someone decided it was best not to confuse us with accuracy.

Yeah, in old Roman empire the "v" was considered as either v or u. So you see. But they did not invent "u" until later. In fact they considered "v" as a pronunciation of "u"... thus your confusion. Although that is not the case for some words... Or so was it fabricated. Who knows.

I spoke and understood some German when I lived there when young. In high school I took 4 years of French. I can no longer understand spoken French but I can still speak some. I'm working on my ASL and maintaining my spoken English.

I learned some spanish in 6th grade. never continued throughout middle/high schools.

Because of my very late language acquisition (English as primary language), I have tried to learn just the bare basic things, like characters, consonants, vowels, pronunciation, and few basic words. I know words, but can't speak fluently in español, have tried to learn Hindi, and was taught one phrase in Arabic (I learned it as "good night" nearly 25 years ago and haven't forgotten it). I know some sign. I created my own alphabet and ways to write and pronounce the letters.

I struggle hard to learn a second language. I didn't speak English fluently until I was just past eight years old. Verb conjugations in español trip me up because I don't use it often enough to remember how to conjugate. The only time I run into people who speak Hindi is at my store. About the best I do is imitate words very closely to that of some native speakers, depending on the language because of my speech therapy experience. I can do the accent in español better than most people who are hearing English speakers.

Shrugs...

I tried learning Latin, Japanese, Spanish and French. Deafness may have been a factor in why I failed.

Back