How do you manage the stigma?

How do you manage the stigma of a hearing loss?

• negotiation

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • concealment

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • neutralization

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • alternative norm

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • normalization

• full time deviant subculture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • organization for change

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SJCSue

Reaction score
I would like to know how do you manage the stigma of having a hearing loss.

Here are the seven stigma management techniques:

1. negotiation
2. concealment
3. neutralization
4. alternative norms
5. normalization
6. full time deviant subculture
7. organization for change

I do realize that not all of these techniques apply to the deaf and hard of hearing but I learned in one of my classes called "Sociology of Deviant Behavior" If you do not know what these techniques mean, please ask me! Thanks!

I will post the notes

I will post the notes in an attachment from Word.

Thinking that maybe hearing loss meant brain loss as well!! lol

Made me somewhat a tad Intravert at times, but then thats now an intergral apart of my personality :cool:

When I was a teen and wearing my hearing aid for the first time...it was the people who spoke to you like you were stupid not deaf!
Talking really loud, very slowly and with small words....
Thinking that maybe hearing loss meant brain loss as well!! lol
Poor buggers

I had to read up on this to make sure I understood how these terms are being used. Not easy stuff to find mind you.

A couple of things...

From my perspective, what stigma? I really don't feel that these days. I did notice it in my younger days but they are since long gone.

To pick any of the above categories and hopefully I understood the terms correctly, I would pick the first which is negotiation. My core sense of who and what I am never has really changed in spite of my hearing loss. In other words, I have held my own in a world wants you to "fit". It is not important to me what others think (of me) so much as long as there is mutual respect and that is a two way street all the way down the line.

Back