How do you handle socialization?

No one should force you to go out if you prefer not to. In this internet-age, you shouldn't need to. You can do almost anything online these days from shopping, ordering pizza, groceries, pharmacy delivery, and socializing to name a few.

This is true.... buuttt... it's not really a good thing. In my opinion, I think it's the internet convenience that has made it hard to socially interact with people face to face. You can't actually see the person (unless you're using P3, Skype..etc.) and makes it hard to understand the emotions behind the words of the conversation.

Evening though I am a hearie, I have been thought to be deaf when at socials. I don't use voice and expressive when I sign. I feel this is a really nice complement. :D

Anyways to original post, you should get out more and take baby steps. Maybe it's just the certain people you have met that makes it hard to socialize?
It's not only just HoH or Deaf individuals that have communication separation. Hearing people have it too. I do understand that it is totally different, as we can still understand the conversation going on, but there is still frustrations, lack of explaining, and misunderstandings. Along with some people getting offended or overly sensitive. But it helps to smile a lot and show confidence on the outside (even if you're feeling uneasy inside) to be approachable...

I just wanted to share a little of my point of view, and maybe help you see another perspective. :hmm:
Personally, I always try to think positive... :hug:

How do I personally handle socialization? With a stride, really.

What Aaron and I have been doing in Boulder is pretty hard core - We strive to be the BEST in anything we do and be cool about it. Now we have this reputation of "The Two Deaf Dudes!" Slowly introducing a third :)

Everywhere we go, we see people we know, always hugging people, saying hi, gesturing and such. People KNOW we're deaf and they have absolutely no problems with it. Aside of that woman who was drunk last night and didnt believe we were deaf becuz she was so easy to lipread.

But what I am basically saying - We make it clear that we're deaf, and we make it EASY for them to talk with us - the rest is history.

ha ha I do not know about you. I notice and it's my experience in the past. seemingly, I can communicate with hearing people who are under the influences rather than totally sobers. :shock: I like to sign in front of people at anytime that way they would know i am deaf. If i need to know something then I would flatly ask those people anyway even though they act like a deer caught in the headlights. :roll: I have to make them feel comfortable first then talk to them. Like they have never been around with the aliens. :lol:

Back