How do you cope with LOUD tinnitus at night?

I'm glad you're finding something that helps!

I have tinnitus, although it fluctuates and mostly it isn't loud. However, when it is loud with capital L O U D -impossible-to-ignore-or-get-to-sleep level, I have found it has been after I've had enough wine to be tipsy (or more). I'm fine on the one or two beers, but once 'tipsy' on the wine comes (and I can't seem to drink wine without ending up tipsy), then it's tipsy tinnitus for me. It may be different for others but thought I'd share that alcohol and wine in particular seems to affect me, in case it is of any help to you or or anyone else reading.

I have found that it works for me up to a point. Doesn't get rid of the tinnitus, just mutes it enough that I don't feel like blowing my head off.

I just have to treat it as though it was really happening around me, like something zinging by or I have a pin ball machine here somewhere, or a siren is going by.

I have noise hates buzzz again balance on loud horrible OMG terrible crazy me drive! I am very balance screw up 0_o no sense how feeling assurance feeling bad!

White or brown noise
hot milk
sleeping pills

but one of these days I might just have to resort to the cast iron frying pan.

My Audi gave me a list of 100 things known to make the tinnitus worse so that I can avoid them but there are a few things I will not give up. ( I love my chocolate too much)

Wow. Reading this thread, I realised there are more deafs who does have tinnitus like me. My tinnitus came from when I listens to my giant earphones to hear my favourite music KISS Unmask over and over, I just loves the sounds.... that's when I was a kid, around 10-11 years old... when I was given this KISS Unmasked tape cassette by a couple of college hot girls (friend of cousin), and I thought I was hearing angels singing a kind of classical music orchestra type of thing but it wasn't.

Since then I had tinnitus most times, but over the years it got worse and worse... especially when it's paced by my obsession with books reading horror, sci-fi, mystery novels, short stories, and that ate into the time I can give so I lose sleep and became insomniac during high school, and college... and still does after...

I've resorted to small headphones over the years, until I finally got through to an audiologist about a special method of connecting the hearing aids to the music, tape player, or even tv... finally it's called a "Y" cord, with audio shoes that clicks over the hearing aids. And mp3 player have become the boon of my life. I plays my favourite music on my mp3 player all day long, never bothers anyone, and I have fun.... I drives carrying my music with me, to shopping, to walks, to work, etc... rarely do I feel the tinnitus attacks me, it only happens when I don't wear the hearing aids, when I forgets about it and was busy on something for hours, then, sudden-like, the tinnitus would comes like a wall of tsunamis and I'd be swept away... putting on the music centres me, kept me grounded to the hear and now...

Over the years, when I had no music, and only the tape player and the head phone that at times was unsatisfying, I use the tinnitus against itself, when it goes one way, I follows, using it like an invisible instrument, playing it like a fiddle, like a voilin, like a guitar, like a piano, playing it, actively being involed in the making of the of the invisible music that no one can hears, except me and, perhaps, God.

I would string music together, putting it together, to feel it, to 'hear' it, so as to stay sane... many times over the years I told the audiologists, one after the other, about tinnitus and how I control it, to play it, they'd rather not beleive it, they even wrote it in my files, "Client thinks he can play tinnitus like music" and signs off, not bothering to see if there's anything they can do to help me find relief.

For me, I had to find relief in my own way, that would work for me. There was no other way that I know of.

I would not trust drugs, nor operations... I simply do not trust drugs for I know what drugs are, nothing but short-term bandaids that do not work out in the long run.

The only thing I'm sure of, too much refined sugar, salt, hell, most of Western foods are devoid of minerals and vitamins, and hence, this may have played a role in our getting tinnitus and other symptoms like insomnia and the like... so this is why I spent over ten years researching health and why health are the way it is, depending on "empty" foods as apposed to "full" foods, "empty" defining deficiencies, and "full" defining wellness...

Alcohol won't work in the long run, it'll just take more and more drinks to get the same around of sleep you require before, so your body builds up a tolerance for the booze and in time you'll be drinnking it like a fish... and worse, your insides becomes pickled and who knows, what does the alcohol does to the brain? And the hearing mechanisms? I imagine it would be pickled too.

So, my only conclusions is to test one method that I've been saving up for years... raw foods lifestyles, in a word, going raw vegies and fruits foods, no cooked foods at all, to see what effect it has on the tinnitus, whether it'll slow it down, or even shut up altogether.

I've managed to save up and get a Vita-Mix blender, heaps expensive, but not impossible to get when you're as disciplined and determined as I am, as well as a few other things that are needed. I've managed to pay off the last installment for a sprouter mist kit to build four small sprouters so I can grow sprouts, wheatgrasses and the like, to obtain fresh nutrients by juicing the greens and intaking fresh nutrients to give the body what it needs, fresh vitamins and minerals, so it's been a long-range goal planning all this.

I do not know what effect the tinnitus will have when I lived a raw foods lifestyle, but I hoeps to achieved it within a year or two at most, so for now, I must be patient and wait.

The thing to me, is that more and more deafs, and hearings, are having tinnitus as well as other life's challenges (ailments, etc), and I wondered if it's directly related to the junk foods we're eating, the processed, machine foods, factory foods, with only about 5 percent minerals and vitamins, if that, per day, so it's not enough... it's no wonder why so many people have symptoms so wildly diverging from each other, but the cause may probably the foods, you are what you eat, that kind of thing... so I had invested years to this idea, that if I can grow foods rich with minerals, I'll see what the effect will have on the tinnitus after a month, three months, six months and a year intervals.

Excercises plays a good role, in allieviating the tinnitus symptoms, as well as that, focusing your attention on something else, something constructive, would also helps, as well. There's all kinds of exercises that may help, from stretching, to weight lifting, to swimming, walking, running, jumping, playing sports, etc.. just a matter of when you can do it and how enjoyable it is that it makes you ignore it while you focus on the job/work/fun thing at hand.

Life is not silent, it's noisy, and we're lucky, we have music as backgrounds like movies have their backgrounds, so we can change our minds and make music that suits our moods and enjoy the day and night and everything else...

No worries! It's all good!

Thanks for sharing hotdefman. Lets us know how your new diet affects your tinnitus. I don't fancy the idea of a raw food diet myself, but I have read of several people who swear by its benefits. If it can be definitely shown to reduce tinnitus then I may try it out...

I have recently had some relief from night time tinnitus. Don't ask me how as it's hard to explain, but I just adopted an "mind over matter" type of attitude. I basically just told myself that I was going to get some sleep with no interruptions and that I would not tolerate any noise what-so-ever. For some reason, my brain listens to me and I have had five straight nights of no tinnitus.

Tinnitus - always there.
Lack of sleep - since I'm a Mom.

Sometimes it gets really bad, then I turn on some music. That is the best distraction for me.

Just 5 minutes without tinnitus would be wonderful!

Hi there,
I'm new to this site. I've had tinnitus since I was in my teens, I used to play guitar in amateur rock bands. 100 watt Marshall amps are mean machines. It didn't bother me at all until I started with Meniere's disease in 2005. Dizziness, nausea and really bad balance pursued until I had the vestibular nerve section operation in 2008. The tinnitus became more noticeable in the left ear and I only had 20% hearing on that side. I managed quite well, learnt to walk again and worked until this September when the right side began to start the same effects all over again. I'm off work and don't sleep at all well. My balance and walking has got really unsteady and the tinnitus is a lot worse on both sides. I was desperate so I went to London to see my original consultant in Harley Street - not cheap, but I think Professor Saeed is the best there is here in the UK. To my dismay my right hearing has dropped to 20%, I though it was bad, but not that bad. I've got to have MRI scan, balance tests and electrodes through the right ear drum. ugh! Strange sensation! I'll probably try the sac decompression as to have another VNS might mean I can't walk at all.

Sorry to go on so much! Anyway what I was going to mention before I caught up in registration etc. I realized about 18months ago that when I was in the shower (with handrails and seat - don't you just love Meniere's!) that the sound of the shower spray masked my tinnitus! I searched around and bout a cd called "The sound of pure rain". I listen to it on a personal player with the ear phones in bed at night when I'm really desperate to sleep. It's not good all of the time as I dream a lot about floods, mud, walking in water etc. etc., and it has to be pretty loud these days! I also listen to a host of different radio stations. Wouldn't it be great if the tinnitus would just stop for once, maybe it does when we sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!

A merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone.

Yeah. I got tinnitus as well. Had it since I was about 10, maybe 11. Develops from too much loud music in the heavy head phones... would ring after tape finished...

No one told me about this, not even the audiologists, not until I figured it out and they doubts it when I told them, and I stuck to my guns for years, and now it's in the files they have on me. (sighs)... idiots.

Now I make do with what I can do alleviates it, eat right, exercises right, work right. Only thing that shuts the damn thing up is hooking up my hearing aids to the "Y-cord", plugging into the mp3 player, so I can drown out the tinnitus with music, only way it can shut the tinnitus up! Other than that, I take herbs, minerals, etc, eat lots of fruits, vegies, and yeah, banana, lately, and I am better, but not much. It's all a matter of balance. Sheesh.

We do the best we can do at the time we are in, and over time we tries out stuff that might helps in some way. That's all we can do. We cope, we move on, and most of all, we try to enjoy more of our life not suffer too much. No worries!

It's all good!

Update on my sleep stealing tinnitus

I know that it isn't good practice to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to give an update on my loud tinnitus problem.

Basically, over time, my tinnitus got a little quieter so I now sleep through most nights. There was no cure or single thing I did that caused this - it just happened.

I wasn't passive. I exercised. I made a list of the various things that cause the volume dial of my tinnitus to turn up (sometimes up to 11 :rockon: ). I practised mindfulness techniques (a form of mediation without the orange robes and chanting). I did activities that I enjoy and relax me.

These things helped me. But I wouldn't claim that they cured my loud tinnitus problem. I think the problem just slowly went away on its own.

And one day it may crawl its way back into my bed and steal my sleep. But until then, I'm going to appreciate being able to sleep most nights again. :)

tinnitus will never disappear, seems now (it is still hard for me) it is a case of managing to KEEP the quiet...rather than manage push out tinnitus.....Or other way around, depending on what YOU think, but i suppose "THINKING its gone' could be a strategy, but its notfool-proof...im not tryng to startle you or cause panic, no it is excellent to have peace, its lot like rust, Rust never sleeps...they say...cheers

tinnitus will never disappear, seems now (it is still hard for me) it is a case of managing to KEEP the quiet...rather than manage push out tinnitus.....Or other way around, depending on what YOU think, but i suppose "THINKING its gone' could be a strategy, but its notfool-proof...im not tryng to startle you or cause panic, no it is excellent to have peace, its lot like rust, Rust never sleeps...they say...cheers

Some people claim that their tinnitus disappears completely never to return. I'm not claiming that. Just saying it is a bit quieter now so I'm able to sleep instead of having a washing machine on spin besides my head at night :lol:

I hope the loud b*$t*rd never returns, but I'm realistic enough to accept that it may... :hmm:

I do not believe that tinnitus disappears. My hub got a bad tinnitus at 24/7. :( sometimes he likes to be quiet on his own time because of it.

Some people claim that their tinnitus disappears completely never to return. I'm not claiming that. Just saying it is a bit quieter now so I'm able to sleep instead of having a washing machine on spin besides my head at night :lol:

I hope the loud b*$t*rd never returns, but I'm realistic enough to accept that it may... :hmm:

** i know ** that too well...yes keep up the fight to stay relaxed...

I know that it isn't good practice to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to give an update on my loud tinnitus problem.

It's kinda funny you bumped this because I was just reading a few of these old threads last night as I was trying to sleep and my ear had other plans. Glad to hear you are doing better!

It is much easier for me to ignore during the noises of the day picked up by my hearing aid. It is ironically the "quiet" down times that are uncomfortably loud :(

I have tinnitus and at night I turn my radio on a soft, classical music station. It really helps when I am going to sleep since I listen to the music and focus more on it, instead of the swishy, swishy sounds.

It's kinda funny you bumped this because I was just reading a few of these old threads last night as I was trying to sleep and my ear had other plans. Glad to hear you are doing better!

It is much easier for me to ignore during the noises of the day picked up by my hearing aid. It is ironically the "quiet" down times that are uncomfortably loud :(

i too noticed this EXACTLY the SAME phenomenon, peope who dont know what tinnitus is says 'take your hearing aid' they havent Got a Clue.......

and right now my ear(s) is having different plans too, and half the time i don't even know why....I did and still do Everything and knows ALLthe tricks and knoes what works.....right now its seem to say F#$* Y@@ to me so its raging a rock concert.....grrr....its summer beautiful day outside (summer in NZ) and i dont feel llke doing much thanks to the unwelcome head-visitor...

it Will go away....but right now there's sweet FA i can do about it...:roll:

Some nights I don't get more than 30 to 45 minutes at a time before the tinnitus wakes me . Then it takes all you can to try and Seperate from the noise enough to get back to sleep. Three hours is a normal night 4or 5 is great . Know the feeling always tired never feel rested. Can't use sound generators or music ,right ear nothing at all ,left picks up only distorted sound and makes trying to fall asleep worse.

When I was in the Army, I had to sleep with all sorts of loud noises going off all night, so I guess that prepared me to deal (Kind of deal) with sleeping with my tinnitus, but the army also caused my tinnitus. Weird little loop there, eh?

Back