How do I make her understand?

brubeckbach

Reaction score
I am 55 and have been married to a hearing person for 31 years. I am partially deaf in that I have no ability to hear the higher parts of human speach no matter how loud my hearing aids are turned up. (I cannot hear low sounds without my hearing aids, just really loud noise.) I do not know signing because I went to an "aural" school in the early sixties. I speak well but I really stuggle keeping up with hearing people.
My wife and I have been living apart for 8 years partly because she just doesn't understand my particular needs as a hearing impaired person. How do I help her and the rest of my family understand this invisible disability? :roll:

Hello, and welcome to AD! Hmmm, maybe have your wife peruse this board? There's a ton of diverse things here. Best wishes....

8 years? well... IMO - she's not going to understand it anyway no matter what you do.

Well, if I were you, I wouldn't take her back if she has shown an unwillingness to meet your needs as a deaf person.

But only you know if you want her because you still love her and such.

Otherwise, it might be time for a change.

Ugh...more stupidity and denial the hearing people are these days. It seems to me that deafies are getting smarter and smarter as educated as well than hearies that are getting stupider and stupider as uneducated nowadays. :ugh:

My parents are hearing but my father is partially hard of hearing. He started losing both of his hearing sides at age 35 or earlier as I've been told. Now my father is 73 and still refuses to get a hearing aid because they won't work benefitally for his very complicated hearing loss. So I'd say his decibels are between 20 and 35 dB. He'd have to rely one on one person conversation at a time. Most of the time when he is in a conversation group of three or more, my mother would always be on his side in case he misses out of what the others were saying, my mom would repeat interpreting for him as what others said. My parents has been married for 48 years and counting. The greatest thing is that my father knows sign language as well along with fingerspelling so we can communicate but slowly for his such an age.

Bring your wife and family to your audiologist and have him/her talk to your family or ask your audiologist for some info that your family can read. There is only so much you can do to get a person to understand your needs. Some people just do not want to take the time !

Back