How do Deaf people drive?

First of all, some "deaf" people do have some hearing when they drive when they wear their HA's or CI's such as hearing the siren noise or cars beeping their horns, etc.

I never heard car honks in my life, even with my CI. So not every HAs and CIs deaf can hear horns or sirens. I don't really hear sirens either unless they are very near me, and by then sometimes it is too late to response. I am thankful for my eyes because I catch it before I hear it.

I never heard car honks in my life, even with my CI. So not every HAs and CIs deaf can hear horns or sirens. I don't really hear sirens either unless they are very near me, and by then sometimes it is too late to response. I am thankful for my eyes because I catch it before I hear it.

Oh thanks for answering :)

yeah, horns and far distance sirens is difficult to pick up because my car engine and the wind around my car when I'm driving is loud. It's a background noise.

Regarding the sirens, I found that I am able to hear some, but not always. If I go to Toronto, I can hear them loud and clear. However, where I live, they must be using a different frequency because I find it difficult to hear them most of the times except for the older ones.

I too have never heard the siren of a police car or ambulance in my life. Even when I was HOH with no aids, or HOH with aids. My driver's ed teacher was the best. He understood my hearing problem and had specialized instruction for me. I was taught to be ever vigilant with my mirrors and such. My windows are totally uncluttered and all, so I can see everywhere.

Just today, I had to pull off to the side. A police car was behind me, saw that I put on my flashers and pulled over to stop (Florida law). He pulled in behind and came up to ask if I had a problem. I said, look behind you, he then saw the 3 fire trucks, and 4 ambulances all rushing by. He said, how did you hear those, I said I am deaf and instead I saw them. He was surprised and pleased. We then went on our merry way.

I drive with no hearing aids at all. They are too distracting. Like Kristina, I prefer to be vigilant with the mirrors. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought - whut? Stick or automatic??

Perhaps, when is the last time you had a mapping for your CI?

I can't hear a thing even my own voice with all those background noise when I am driving and I have CI. It's only when the ambulance/other sirens are very close by (approx one car close by) that I could hear them so I am very vigilant when I am driving.

A former teacher of mine who was hearing she was killed on a roundabout by an ambulance with sirens on, the ambulance just came out of junction onto the round about and smashed into her car killing her instantly. The Ambulance driver was fired from the job due careless driving.

Perhaps, when is the last time you had a mapping for your CI?

about a year ago. had my implant since 2003. So it isn't like I'm learning. I've been wearing it like I suppose to. And I complained about not hearing background noise like I want to (I grew up with analog hearing aids/bodyworn FM in public school since I was 2 or 3 three years old so lack of auditory isn't the problem either because I had too much of it-but probably too much "mechanical" auditory) , she just seem to can't fix that but I accept that now.

Eulogy

I'm a newbie here. I stumbled upon this thread and found it worth appreciation. I read through all the replies posted and really had good experience of it. Thanks for sharing this good question. :lol:

I can hear sirens with my CI on but I can't tell what drection the sirens are coming from so Im usually looking all over the places with my eyes to look for what drections the sirens are coming from and do I need to pull over on side of the road. It drives me nuts.

Back