How do deaf people about hearing people learning ASL ?

Rahgr81

Reaction score
How do deaf people about hearing people learning ASL ? and having a deaf day for the students who are taking ASL to see how it feels. Please who ever can respond to this do so.
Thank you all.

My husband a strict ASL signer, I more PSE, he feels if we teach hearing they will learn it then forget what they have learned because they don't socialize with the deaf much. Those who really want to learn must learn it the right way and be wanting to have deaf friends and continue to learn the interesting language of ASL. I think it is cool to find hearing people who can sign but when they sign sloppy and don't want to be corrected when they sign wrong or they don't want to learn new signs or don't want to get involved in the deaf culture, that is where I say either shape up or get lost.

I am not meaning to sound harsh but the truth is deaf like hearing people that are at the same level as the deaf. Hearing who know the deaf culture, who is interested in the deaf culture, who respect deaf and who takes ASL seriously are the most liked in the deaf community.

Back