How can you communicate if 100%deaf

This...who say this to?

not sure I am honest! but Recently so already reading i don't know who

I don't know on missing on reading! I am not much

I am back allldeaf i let know you
I am not often on alldeaf I am very busy on project manager become VPs I am work
I am back arrive alldeaf I am doing!

I got become VP Manager :) give me full on work hosting lots of complication i tell you let I already become got hires work

I am too many work hard full work techincal support and help I am professional/asl

My husband tries to write things down. But it's not the same as talking to your mom. When we have family get togethers I feel like staring at the wall when everyone is talking. But, I'm ok I'll deal. Just makes me sad since my mom is 80 and my father has passed I was really hoping to be a great support system for her. She doesn't drive and I'm disabled so I would take her out to breakfast, shopping etc. yes I know I can still do this its just not the same, just different. I'm happy to still have her in my life. Like I said before we tried the voice to type program but came out as "your mom says........" she wants to rub the tatoo on my but. Could get a little weird if you didnt know it was an error. Ha ha

You can always improvise and make up your own home signs that both of you can develop and understand each other. I know, it's not the same thing but I guess it's a start.

Ok everyone, try to calm down. Just look at me, I was born with hearing loss, but was ignorant of signing until college (a fact that bothers me, since otherwise I would have demanded it earlier). People can still come from sheltered lives and we need to realize that ASL and Deaf Culture, while becoming increasingly more & more known, is still limited and there are still people to educate who are not the new generation of children.

OP, hi and welcome. There is a growing and flourishing language and culture in America (which has actually been around since 1814 and more localised signs and culture has been around before that) and it is called American Sign Language and Deaf Culture. It is a beautiful language involving the hands, face, and body that can express any of the intricacies of a language, just like any spoken language. It has been recognized as the fourth most known/used language in the US. And just like if a person spoke Japanese and would use an interpreter to communicate with English speakers, there are ASL interpreters for the Deaf to communicate with English speakers.

Ok, my browser only showed one page, then after I posted three more pages popped up, with everything resolved. Now I look like an idiot. *Facepalm* hahaha

Last edited:
Thank you. I ordered my first set of teaching tools today. Book and DVD. Your encouragement is valued so much.

Kokonut you have been very helpful and encouraging. Thanks for the support!!!

Oh well Angle1989-interesting multiple comments to think about on your question posed.

A person here in Toronto-Bena Schuster went through exactly the same condition you did-deafness over a weekend. She wrote a book about 15 years ago. Sorry I can't quote from it-a friend of mine is reading it now. It was published by Canadian Hard of Hearing Association-Ottawa.

You are doing what she did-get exact medical information on your specific condition to determine what to do -for the rest of your life-now.

A belated welcome to Alldeaf.com Angel

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

BecLak: Your supposition is incorrect-Post #104 Alleged giving personal info Angle1989.
She gave that information Post #52 Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants-November 21.
I have not discussed any doctor's appointment with Angle1989 in "PM",

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

drphil, it is disturbing that you keep putting other people's private info stated obviously in a PM openly on a public forum. :hmm: post reported.

BecLak: Your supposition is incorrect-Post #104

Alleged giving personal info Angle1989.

She gave that information Post #52 Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants-November 21.

This is post #52:

...Well except for the food I eat.

Your reference to post #52 came from an entirely different thread, and not this one. Please quote specific threads/posts when you make your posts here. That would help everyone understand. :wave:

I did mention the thread: Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants.
This thread is General Chat,To me different.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I did mention the thread: Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants.
This thread is General Chat,To me different.

When you clarified, yes. But not the first time you mentioned the date. That's why people thought you posted private info. Really, please post the quotes. Thank you.

You can always improvise and make up your own home signs that both of you can develop and understand each other. I know, it's not the same thing but I guess it's a start.

Bad, bad advice!

Bad, bad advice!

I agree. The only one who will understand your home signs will be the person who happened to be around when you made it up -- if they remember it.

For just a tiny bit more effort you can use the real ASL sign and everyone who knows ASL will understand you. And if you happen to forget the sign - you can look it up again!

Check out the sticky thread in the Sign forum called "Links to websites for learning ASL". There are some on-line dictionaries at • ASL • American Sign Language , http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi and Search for Signs | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary

From what I've read here at the forum, the first web site is best because it tends to only have ASL signs and no SEE signs, and be more accurate.

I agree. The only one who will understand your home signs will be the person who happened to be around when you made it up -- if they remember it.

For just a tiny bit more effort you can use the real ASL sign and everyone who knows ASL will understand you. And if you happen to forget the sign - you can look it up again!

Check out the sticky thread in the Sign forum called "Links to websites for learning ASL". There are some on-line dictionaries at • ASL • American Sign Language , http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi and Search for Signs | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary

From what I've read here at the forum, the first web site is best because it tends to only have ASL signs and no SEE signs, and be more accurate.

As I said, it'd be a start not a complete solution. A start that could lead to more appropriate signs. The mother is 82 years old and her comfort level or confidence may be an issue. It might be unconventional thing to do but like I said it can be a start, not a replacement. One of the many suggestions on this thread. She doesn't have to take it.

I'd careful of Lucy who habitually charges a nickle for bad advices who find fault in everybody except her own.

It's a shame that some people get run off by a certain few of people, even though some people truly need advice.

Maybe she was wondering if hearing loss progresses quickly and she doesn't have time enough to learn ASL how would she communicate in the mean time?

Same thing happened to me Angel. I was thought to be a troll and blasted. Stick around. The majority of people have great insight and information, ignore the miserable few who must chase anyone new out! Much information to be learned here it would be sham to miss it becuase of those few.

Thanks hearingaidmama. I have stuck around and have been pleastantly surprised how nice and how much info people have given me. Take care.

Thanks hearingaidmama. I have stuck around and have been pleastantly surprised how nice and how much info people have given me. Take care.

Sometime it seem survival of fittest here. :giggle:

Unfortunately, we are *so* used to scammers who come here that legitimate posters can be, how say, lump? into same group. That, to me, is unfortunate. But I'm happy that you are finding support and information in 'Late Deafened' thread. :)

Back