HOH in Surf City, CA

TheMayorofHB

Reaction score
Hi y'all, my name is Eric, 27 yrs old and I was born with severe high frequency sensorineural hearing loss. I've known ASL since 1st grade, however I've been out of the Deaf/HOH community for so long, that I felt it would be best to take a refresher course at my nearby college. I even decided to pursue a career in working with the Deaf/HOH...I'm not exactly sure yet but hopefully I can figure it out soon. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Eric

Wirelessly posted

Welcome to AD, I am also from California :)

Welcome! Are you near CSUN? Maybe you could be a dorm parent or a teacher of the deaf or something!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just have fun browsing and post any topic that you want to discuss or debate with us. See you around here. :wave:

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Welcome! Are you near CSUN? Maybe you could be a dorm parent or a teacher of the deaf or something!

I've didn't know CSUN had a deaf program. Its a bit of a drive from where I live but I'll def look into it, thanks. I'll most likely go into teaching, and while going to school for that I figured I could work as a ASL interpreter. But I'm still trying to figure things out, so we'll see. Today I was asked by a local community center to help teach some kids to sign. Of course I said yes, so we'll see how that goes. Of course it'll also be nice to teach some kids about deaf awareness early on.

As for my screen name, its a nickname that was given by a friend. My girlfriend/family/friends were always so shocked by how many people I run into whenever we go places. And while out with friends one night, one finally caved in and said "Damn! how many more people are you run into tonight? It's like you're the fu@king mayor of Huntington beach!" We all had a few good laughs and the name stuck.

Eric

Eric, you can probably look directly into teaching programs at CSUN as suggested, or CSDR (california school for the deaf, riverside)

Both are a ways out from HB of course, but eh that's just how it is in socal. Try going to the block meetup at the starbucks for new associates. It is every 2nd friday of the month? Should be one later today, but I'm not 100% sure. Pretty sure it's there anyway.

Welcome to AD. The topic of your thread makes me wonder if you surf? LOL.

welcome to AD..and wow you are brave to surf...I'm not a big fan of the ocean...love to look at it but I have a fear of not being able to see what's underneath me in the water...don't like lakes and such either for the same reason..when I'm tubing I hold on for dear life so that I don't have to float in the water by myself and wait for the boat to come round to get me lol

welcome to AD..and wow you are brave to surf...I'm not a big fan of the ocean...love to look at it but I have a fear of not being able to see what's underneath me in the water...don't like lakes and such either for the same reason..when I'm tubing I hold on for dear life so that I don't have to float in the water by myself and wait for the boat to come round to get me lol

I don't know if you are talking about Surf City which might mean surfing in the ocean. But I am also wondering if they meant surfing the internet on the computer. :lol:

Hey, maybe you can be a mayor of Huntington Beach! :welcome: to AD!

Hey, maybe you can be a mayor of Huntington Beach! :welcome: to AD!

That is what his screen name from the Avatar said. He is already the mayor of Huntington Beach, even if he is not elected, where everybody know him like as he is the popular guy in the city. :cool2:

Yiwu City

Yiwu Introduction
Yiwu (simplified Chinese: 义乌; traditional Chinese: 義烏; pinyin: Yìwū) is a city of about 2,000,000 people in central Zhejiang Province near the central eastern coast of the People's Republic of China. The city is famous for its small commodity trade and vibrant free markets and is a regional tourist destination. Although administratively Yiwu is a county-level city under the jurisdiction of Jinhua, it is more well-known than Jinhua nationally and internationally.
Yiwu Economy
Yiwu is famous in China as a commodities center. People from all over the world come to Yiwu City to buy commodities for resale in other parts of China or abroad. Yiwu commodities wholesale market is developed and managed by Zhejiang China Commodities City Group Co.,Ltd.(Public, SHA:600415). Yiwu's China Small-Commodity Market has for 6 consecutive years topped China's 100 top open markets and was for successive years listed as China's civilized open market. It has been named as the banner of China's market economy and with a large variety of quality but cheaper commodities, the market has become a shopping paradise for tourists.
The GDP reached 42.1 billion yuan in 2007, an increase of 15.7% from 2006, and the per capita GDP reached 59,144 yuan (US$7,778). The per capita urban disposable income reached 25,007 yuan and rural pure income 10,255 yuan, increasing 15.9% and 16.4% respectively.

Its 4C-grade airport has opened over a dozen of air routes to such cities as Beijing, Guangzhou, Shantou, Weifang and Shenzhen. The Zhejiang-Jiangxi Railway and Hangzhou-Jinhua Expressway pass through the city, making Yiwu an important local transportation hub. Express trains from Shanghai South Railway Station take less than three hours.

"Yiwu,300 kilometers away form Shanghai, is the largest market of petty commodity wholesales in the world where various foreign buyers go to place orders." Such a depiction comes from Chinese Figures Astonishing the World, a special report co-delivered by the United Nations,the World Bank and Morgan Stanley. In that special report, Yiwu is the only enlisted county economy. And in the choice of "the 2004 Most Favorite Chinese Cities of Domestic and Foreign Public in 2004 ", Yiwu ranked the first among all county-level cities.In 2008, Eamonn Fingleton wrote: "As documented by the author Tim Phillips . . . [t]he city of Yiwu . . . functions as a sort of 'Wall Street' for the [counterfeiting] industry, providing a vast marketplace where, Phillips states, 100,000 counterfeit products are openly traded and 2,000 metric tons of fakes change hands daily."[1]
Yiwu Cultural and socialYiwu contains an Olympic quality stadium[citation needed]. It also has a large Christian Church. Many events associated with trade take place in Yiwu City. Yiwu also has a sizable Korean and Muslim (both foreign and Chinese) population, mostly working in the import and export businesses, as well as a very small Jewish population also in those businesses. Yiwu is also known as the "sock town" as it produces over three billion pairs of socks for Wal-Mart, Pringles and Disney annually. Yiwu is also known as China's number one producer of fashion jewelry.

Welcome to Yiwu Wholesale Market.

Back