HoH: Good or Bad?

You added an option (hearing) that Ambrosia didn't have and thereby you changed completely what she was getting at.

Thank you

I'm thinking everybody but her knew what I saying ;)

See if you were born deaf "trying" to hear is not an option, it's off the table. You don't have to make that struggle to communicate orally.

I get what she was saying at but I still think it's an odd thing to think . I do not have agree with what Ambrosia think.

Haha you didn't disagree with my statement, you misunderstood it and added stuff to it......making it not statement. My statement went over your head ;)

Obviously being born hearing, and staying that way, would be easier.

Being HoH, we're able to interact orally, no matter how hard it is. because we are capable of it people have different expectations for us, the burden of communication becomes ours to bear in every situation for us.

And no, you don't have to agree with any of my statements. Ever. I don't care.

I have a Progressive Bilateral Sensorineural hearing loss. Or I think that's what my audiologist called it. We found out I had a hearing loss when I was 10, and obviously, it has progressed into being very severe. I've been considered legally deaf since I was 13, and I'm 19 now.
But I don't know how to function anymore. My entire family is hearing. I'm the only one with any hearing related issues. I spent 2 years learning to read lips because I couldn't function with just sound, and my hearing aids helped a lot. But at this point in my hearing loss we don't know if it will continue to profound deafness, or stop where it is. I'm relatively ok with either. But it's a little scary. I love to sing, and to have that ability slowly stripped away from me is hard. They make deaf jokes at me all the time and laugh it off because it's no big deal. To them. It's a very large deal to me. None of them have ever gone to a doctor's appointment with me besides my parents, and they stopped going when I was about 14. My siblings don't actually know the extent of my hearing loss, and when I try to tell them, they accuse me of exaggerating or having "selective" hearing.
I started learning Sign Language when I was 15 out of necessity. I started to panic because my hearing loss had gotten much worse much faster than expected. While they predicted I would lose all of my hearing by my early 30s, the estimated time was now early 20s. No one in my family knows any Sign Language, and it's not from a lack of me trying to get them to learn. While I have only taken 3 years and am nowhere near fluency, I need them to do that process with me. And they haven't.
I had one profoundly deaf friend, and everyone else I know has perfect hearing. I don't get to use my Sign because if I speak and sign everyone tells me I'm being pretentious and trying to get attention, but it helps me remember and I thought might help them learn/associate words to signs. I'm constantly having to read lips or ask people to repeat themselves, and I still put up with the deaf jokes. It's exhausting.
My hearing aids aren't very helpful anymore, but I wear them because I know I should and they're probably helping in ways I don't realize. But I've noticed my speech is starting to become very forced. I have to consciously remember how to say certain sounds or they come out slurred. I don't realize I'm doing it until someone tells me I sound different.
Speaking has become a chore, and now, I just don't have a clue how to function with all my friends/family. It's too hard to understand all of them now. But they have no other way of communicating with me. So I don't really know where to go from here, and was hoping someone out there might have had to do the same thing or has a solution for me.

I feel for ya, I really do.

You will have to literally scream and cry to your family to get them to see your side of things.
Tell them that if they don't learn sign language, you WILL be completely isolated from them.
I mean really hammer that fact into their heads, don't feel afraid or reluctant. Just do it.

As for the deaf jokes, not much you can do about that. The hearing people don't see deafness as THAT much of a disability so they feel like its okay to make jokes about it, they think its a bit of banter. If you get upset about it then you'll just look like a prude, believe me.

hoh vs deaf?

hoh vs deaf - not even including hearing because that's a whole 'nother thing...

@Heidi.... most of my hearing was gone by age 20 (genetic, ~80db down & now I am 50). I started to learn ASL at 20 but not seriously (no one to talk to!). Not trying hard enough! Now at home we use ASL. Hearing is still *possible* but it ain't easy. Big fat HAs not my favorite!

All in all... I wish I grow up Deaf. For all intents and purposes I am deaf now but I am lacking so much of the Deaf culture by being late deaf. You are young still... jump into changing ID now. Become Deaf now. They have so much to offer.

It's a bitch really... you *CAN* voice & sometimes operate in the hearing world if the conditions are perfect (no other noise, good lips facing you... talking one at a time....) AND you bust your ass! We can still operate there sometimes. It's pretty exhausting though. Sometimes we have to do it... for me, mostly for work.

The hearing friends and family... oh my…. I am like the cat or the dog. I am there. We communicate. Not the way THEY communicate with each other... but we do communicate. Mostly, I keep to myself or talk with people that know ASL. Who that? In the family... only my husband. SO SWEET that he learned ASL for me! So at family gatherings I spend lots of time with him or my iPhone. He tries to 'terp but he's not a pro... it's hard for him. We have some Deaf friends (need more) and that is easier. I wish I were native with ASL but I am always getting better. You can get better with ASL... you CAN'T get better with hearing. That's what it is. ASL... learn it. Hearing... over (my opin only).

My grandma, mother and sister tried to hang on to being hearing. It was a frustrating mess if you ask me. Trying to do something you can't do? Why not embrace where you fit? ASL is beautiful. Deaf culture is beautiful.

CI? Me? No. I had a middle ear implant some years ago. FDA Phase 1 trial ENVOY. FAIL. All deaf in that ear now. BEFORE that implant... I wanted to hear so bad. Now... after being educated (!) I want to belong and ID as Deaf. Time will tell. I have a long way to go. So many Deaf people are so welcoming to me that I know I will be ok. You will be ok too, if that is how you choose to go. Or... you will try and stay hearing. It will be hard but you will be ok too. You sound like a strong smart young woman!

Happy to meet you.

xo
~Lb

Thank you

See if you were born deaf "trying" to hear is not an option, it's off the table. You don't have to make that struggle to communicate orally.

WRONG! Did you see what I said , I got what you meant , I just happen to disagrees with it. Does everyone have to agree with everything someone said here and if they don't it mean they did not get it ?? I got what you meant the first time . I do not have do agree with you b/c you have a overblown ego. :roll:

WRONG! Did you see what I said , I got what you meant , I just happen to disagrees with it. Does everyone have to agree with everything someone said here and if they don't it mean they did not get it ?? I got what you meant the first time . I do not have do agree with you b/c you have a overblown ego. :roll:

No, you don't have to agree with, I already said that. And I don't give a poop what you think about me.

Yes I read your post. "If I had to choose between HoH, deaf or hearing wahwahwahwah"

Hearing isn't an option, it's not on the table the name if the thread is about being hard of hearing. You threw hearing into the mix, not me. If I had meant a choice between hearing, HoH or deaf, I would have said so. You are the only person that doesn't understand that. Congratulations on being extremely obtuse.

WRONG! Did you see what I said , I got what you meant , I just happen to disagrees with it.

I'll chime in here, the topic of this thread was which of the lesser evils would you rather have? Really bad hearing or completely deaf? No, you do not get to cheat and say, "None of the above"

Duh, everyone would pick perfect hearing, it's like asking, "Would you like to be ugly or good looking"? :roll:

And taking this to a tangent you would think bad hearing is better than none but there's the issue of struggling with oral communication such as group conversations, classes, etc... It would almost be better to be completely deaf so that you don't have the struggle anymore and that you can just do everything in ASL or pen/paper. :hmm:

For me, being deaf is all I know so I having nothing to compare it to.

Thank you

That is the thing that I was so happy not communicate orally until I was 8 1/2 years old before my birthday in November. I found myself struggling to use oral in the elementary mainstream school. My mother never knew or learned about deafness for me to be in the Deaf school or be able to learn to sign Ameslan or ASL at all. I had tried to tell my mother about my feelings being in the mainstream schools but she never listen to me. She was so happy that I spoke to her and felt that she does not need to sign with me at all. She was perfectly happy that the mainstream school were successful in spite of the difficult being in the hearing classrooms with no ASL interpreters. That is why I got upset with my mother everyday of my life. She was making her life easier (not have to work on sign ASL, wanting to have all the way instead half way) while my life was not easier to deal with the hearing society. Dang! :mad:

Sorry... but................ :laugh2:

Okay... Now that's out there...

Whew... that became heated very quickly... :shock:

That is the thing that I was so happy not communicate orally until I was 8 1/2 years old before my birthday in November. I found myself struggling to use oral in the elementary mainstream school. My mother never knew or learned about deafness for me to be in the Deaf school or be able to learn to sign Ameslan or ASL at all. I had tried to tell my mother about my feelings being in the mainstream schools but she never listen to me. She was so happy that I spoke to her and felt that she does not need to sign with me at all. She was perfectly happy that the mainstream school were successful in spite of the difficult being in the hearing classrooms with no ASL interpreters. That is why I got upset with my mother everyday of my life. She was making her life easier (not have to work on sign ASL, wanting to have all the way instead half way) while my life was not easier to deal with the hearing society. Dang! :mad:

:hugs:

Heidi A, sometimes you have to let your real family go and make your own family. You seem to be college aged, and that is a great time to get away from your family, learn ASL and make new friends. Your new friends can become your family, and you get to pick and choose based on how they respect you and their willingness to learn ASL for you. It doesn't sound like you're incredibly close to your family anyway, and none of them respect you. Your parents don't bother to stop the jokes made by your siblings, which has its own implications. With that kind of behavior, I would just go away to school and make my own family.

In the meantime, find a deaf group in your area and start to go, learn ASL and make friends among them.

Let me say how sorry I am that your family is making jokes about you! That is cruel and mean. There are no other words. I'm also sorry that they won't/don't learn ASL so that they can communicate with you. Beginning to learn ASL was the FIRST thing I did after my son deafened. Although he has a CI and prefers to communicate verbally (spoken English was his first language as he deafened post-lingually) we still sign regularly (and of course he does at preschool, too). I'm sorry for their reactions. They do not sound supportive at all.

Back