Hiya

skm8217

Reaction score
I signed up a whlie back, but either forgot about my account here or did not have enough time to introduce myself then. I've been reading a lot of posts here recently and want to contribute more since I feel like I have a perspective with many opinions to offer.

I was born HOH (85 db loss) and diagnosed with a severe to profound loss in both ears. My parents decided to raise me orally rather than send me to an ASL school - which has really worked out for me. I went to a specialized school starting at the age of two (recieved first HA's at 11 months) and did well enough at this school that I was mainstreamed in my town's public schools at 6. From that point on, I had a teacher come and visit me at my school twice a week until high school. My high school years were pretty much on my own without any help whatsoever. All throughout my developing years, I never had any problems academically or any issues with communication with hearing people. I guess you could say that I'm a very good speaker - just with a slight "accent" as people like to refer to it as. I graduated in the top 5 of my high school class and got a full scholarship to RIT (I didn't really attend the school based on the fact that they had NTID - but rather their academic qualifications and programs).

Attending this school for the first time and meeting the deaf community there was a shock for me. I did not realize that there was such a large and outspoken community out there with the common language bond that everyone displays. I made a lot of new friends and attempted to learn ASL. I admit that I haven't learned the majority of it - and am actually out of practice now that I'm out of college - but I did learn enough to understand the expressive and communicative value that it gives anyone with difficulty hearing. It opened my eyes to the world out there and taught me a lot of things. In any case, I did well in school, had internships - did well at that - and that led to a full time job in a major financial company.

I thought working full-time would be a major challenge for me with the obstacles and issues that I would come across. However, I have to admit that the company that I work for has been nothing but phenomenal so far. They understand my issues with answering phones (and phone conferences), attending large meetings, and overall daily communication. They actually paid for a brand new set of Phonak Savia aids along with the Smartlink - so I really hit the jackpot there. I was recently admitted to a leadership development program within the company - which has been nothing but good news so far. Anyways, I know that this may all seem great and all - but I have definetly had my challenges along the way. I do miss a lot of communication that goes back and forth daily, but I have learned to make the best of it. I believe I can contribute to this site in more than one way, and assist people in need of advice as they "clash" with the basics of everyday life.

Hope to see everyone around... and I'll see you on the forums!

:welcome: to AD and congrats on your success!

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Very interesting introduction--hope you will enjoy your stay here in AD! :)

:wave:
~RR

You have done so very well, good for you :) Hopefully your post has enlightened someone :)

Back