Hi! :)

SilentRiver

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this site, and I just wanted to say "hey". I am hearing, but I have severe Auditory Processing Disorder so I often prefer to sign rather than speak. I have not been trained in ASL, but I use a set of loosely ASL-based home signs, and I really want to learn proper ASL. So anyway, hi! :wave:

Hello, nice to meet you! I am new here also. I do not know sign either. We kind of make it up around this house and some of the good ones have stuck and others are just whatever. I can still hear enough to read lips so I stick with that. Best of luck learning ASL and I seen a few talking about skkyping sign so you might want to try that! It would be a good way to practice!

Hey hun! :wave: I'm new to the site as well, though I've been following it for a couple years. I'm Deaf but I read lips really well so my means of communication all depends on who I'm with. I have a couple certain friends who I'm incredibly blessed to know. They have actually learned (or learned more) sign for me and sometimes interpret for me at church or if I'm getting overwhealmed with being in a group of people. Or if they can just tell my eyes are getting worn out (talking is hard for me as well for a few different reasons) they'll sign for me instead of speaking. Other friends tend to think if I can lip read then I might as well. They don't understand how straining it can get sometimes. However, when I'm in public I do tend to go voice-off and just use a pen and paper (or sign if I have someone with me that knows it) because I've had a lot of problems with people thinking if I can speak then OF COURSE I can hear! :roll:

Are you taking any classes for ASL or studying with anyone? If you ever need a study buddy I have Skype and would be more than willing to help out! Keep in mind that because I don't always sign, I've become a bit slower with it. But, the more I practice the more it'll all come back! :)

Sooo... Welcome to AllDeaf!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are not alone. We go through like you did. Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hello! I'm new to this site, and I just wanted to say "hey". I am hearing, but I have severe Auditory Processing Disorder so I often prefer to sign rather than speak. I have not been trained in ASL, but I use a set of loosely ASL-based home signs, and I really want to learn proper ASL. So anyway, hi! :wave:

hii silent river =]

Back