Hi,

sweettea

Reaction score
Just want to say hi. and I`am hard of hearing, looking to make freinds.

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! This is a good place/community to make new acquaintances--hopefully you will as well as being able to enjoy your stay here also! :)

:wave:
~RR

Welcome, sweettea! I hope you find many new friends here on AD.

Four new members of the Deaf

Hello my name is John and my wife is Jennifer, we both hear as well as our 4-year-old son Jack. We Just recently learned about 6 weeks ago that our 15-month-old son Aidan could not hear. We finally had an ABR and he did not record anything at 85 db, unfortunately, after our son was sedated and 90% through the test the audiologist indicated that she had loaner equipment because her equipment was being calibrated. The loaner equipment did not have the ability to test any further. We understand that he has sever if not profound hearing loss.

I have to admit that I was completely unaware of the amount of soundless people there are in the world. How is it that there could be so many yet I haven’t seen but one deaf lady in my pharmacy? I sell medical equipment, so I meet many people who have lost an ability or two but only one women who lost her hearing. I began to realize that the deaf have their own culture, places to live, learn and socialize. I am so afraid that I will never know my son thoughts in real time. I am afraid he will be lonely in a hearing world. I will learn sign I find it beautiful but feel insecure about my ability to become fluent.

Then there are C.I.'s, I hate the idea of him having his cochlear destroyed and any residual hearing lost not to mention the loss of balance or the surgery itself, and for what? So I could make it easier on me to communicate with him. He really is a very happy baby. Then the questions of learning to speak, write and read English, will high powered H.A.'s be enough with Cued English and ASL or would it be irresponsible of me not to consider C.I.'s. I do not mean to cause any pain for those who made the decision to receive or provide C.I.'s for them selves or a member of their family I am just afraid to make the decision for my son.

John

Welcome from Oregon, Sweetea. I think you'll like cruising the posts and finding the folks you'll be comfortable "talking" to. There's something of interest for everyone here.

Welcome Sweattea, from Canada... I am hearing, with tinnitus... so on a bad day I cant really hear anything but ringing...

Welcome and have fun!

Back