Hi

bjsmith

Reaction score
Hi my name's BJ, i found out a few days ago that in 2 or 3 yrs. i'll be 95% deaf in both ears and that i'll need Hearing Aids, so far i'm dealing with it okay, and i'm learning asl. but there are time where i'll lose my hearing for 20mins to 2 hours and i don't like it. i would like it a lot if you could give me some advice.

Hi my name's BJ, i found out a few days ago that in 2 or 3 yrs. i'll be 95% deaf in both ears and that i'll need Hearing Aids, so far i'm dealing with it okay, and i'm learning asl. but there are time where i'll lose my hearing for 20mins to 2 hours and i don't like it. i would like it a lot if you could give me some advice.

Oh?

Where and how did you find this out?

Who made this percentage of deafness prediction on the 2/3 year timeline??

My Doctor

my doctor told me, they had me take hearing test. and i believe them, because my hearing comes and goes, sometimes i can hear great, and sometimes i can't hear at all.

Hello, welcome to alldeaf.

It sounds like your doctor diagnosed you with a condition. How old are you now?

i don't really mind going deaf, it's just that i'm so used to hearing. and trying to seriously learn all the signs alone is hard.

i don't really mind going deaf, it's just that i'm so used to hearing. and trying to seriously learn all the signs alone is hard.

Are you in college? Are you religious?
One thing you COULD do is transfer or go to NTID or even Gally for college, so you could become fluent in ASL.
RIT - National Technical Institute for the Deaf and
Gallaudet University Immersian is the best way to become fluent.
If you're religious you could attend a free Deaf camp at Bill Rice Ranch:Bill Rice Ranch - Deaf Camp

Glad you are learning ask. Been deaf since birth so I have no idea what it is lime to be hearing. Seems like you have a positive attitude about your situation. :)

i'm a senior in high school. i'm wiccan.

Oh Ok...........I just thought I'd throw that Bill Rice Deaf Camp as an option, since I saw you were from Kentucky...Worth a shot. They can be a bit....strict to put it mildly.

Why not look into NTID or another school with a strong dhh population for college?

i am, college was already going to be a big deal, but i'm sure it will work out.

Back