Hi there! :P

dotcomkari

Reaction score
Hi there, I been lurking for quite some time and thought it may be well that I fianlly introduce myself. I am Kari. I am 29 years old and from Wisconsin.
I have been lossing hearing since I was really little. Right now my hearing loss is at a Profound Hearing loss state in my left ear and about a Moderately-severe hearing loss in my right.

I had parents who did not want to accept my hearing loss as a child and I was mainstreamed throughout my school years. I did not speak much till I was 5 years old, but years of speech therapy made my speech so good that most people now do not know I have a hearing issue unless I tell them first.
My school years were long and very hard and I can rant and rave on them for hours, but I prefer not to go into that right now.

I hate my parents for never giving me the chance to learn ASL as a child. I know some, but not enough to have a long converstation, just the basics. And I plan to learn more.

I have three children of my own and I am married to a wonderful very understanding man. My children are 7, 5, and 3 and they are my whole world. My son has Autism and my days are basically wrapped up in his busy life style with therapys and appointments.

I have few deaf or hard of hearing friends and the ones I do have are mostly on line. I would love to make some more and find people who understand and can accept me for who I am.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.. I tend to ramble on sometimes and can have a lot of "brain farts.." where I just space out..*L* :naughty:

Hi Kari :). I am sorry you had such a rough time growing up without without the support of ASL or the deaf community, I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. However, it sounds like you are on the right track to a very fulfilling life - wonderful husband and children and a desire to learn ASL :). I travel to Wisconsin a couple of times a year to visit friends and have visited the Center for Communication, Hearing and Deafness (CCHD) in Milwaukee which is full of great resources - everything from technology and classes to ASL books and gifts. You might find Centers like these in your area (wherever that may be) a good place to start looking for the connections you hope for. :)

Hi Kari :). I am sorry you had such a rough time growing up without without the support of ASL or the deaf community, I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. However, it sounds like you are on the right track to a very fulfilling life - wonderful husband and children and a desire to learn ASL :). I travel to Wisconsin a couple of times a year to visit friends and have visited the Center for Communication, Hearing and Deafness (CCHD) in Milwaukee which is full of great resources - everything from technology and classes to ASL books and gifts. You might find Centers like these in your area (wherever that may be) a good place to start looking for the connections you hope for. :)

I will have to check about and see if we have any of those centers around here. Thank you for the idea! :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back