Hi - SSD with CI

7316Tracey

Reaction score
Hi, I lost my hearing in my right ear just over 3 years ago. 3 weeks ago I had CI surgery and "switch on" 4 days ago.

I'm curious as to other peoples experiences of "switch on" with SSD.

Interesting. I didn't realize that people with SSD were eligible for CI. I learn new things daily.

One of my mothers friends has a C.I. for her SSD. She rarely wears it. :roll: Insurance didn't really cover that much of it since she could hear out of the other side just fine. I wondered the same thing.... I don't really see the point in getting a C.I. for SSD. :dunno:

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

It makes sense if the person has SSD with additional (later onset) hearing loss &/or APD.

I learned something myself too. I thought HAs were used to "send sounds" to the other ear so it is not so...monotone I guess is the word to use...I think.

One of my mothers friends has a C.I. for her SSD. She rarely wears it. :roll: Insurance didn't really cover that much of it since she could hear out of the other side just fine.

:wtf: Why would she do that?

If the person with SSD has good hearing in the other ear (OP hasn't stated the loss in their other ear if any is present)...why would they want an implant unless they had profound loss or something in the other ear? Why go through that much money when they have residual hearing in the other ear?

I thought a CI was only given if the person "qualified" for it...like deaf in both ears (even if a hearing aid only benefits for some sounds in each ear).

I'm curious for the OP if they are in a similar situation (good hearing in the other ear?)...do you hear sounds like a stereo in one ear and hear fairly well in the other ear? This makes me want to ask a bunch of stupid questions and the forum doesn't need anymore of that.

Heh...I guess I need to go do more research on CIs now and read responses from other posters on the forum with them more than I have about CIs in general now. *goes off to lurk again* :laugh2:

I learned something myself too. I thought HAs were used to "send sounds" to the other ear so it is not so...monotone I guess is the word to use...I think.

:wtf: Why would she do that?

If the person with SSD has good hearing in the other ear (OP hasn't stated the loss in their other ear if any is present)...why would they want an implant unless they had profound loss or something in the other ear? Why go through that much money when they have residual hearing in the other ear?

I thought a CI was only given if the person "qualified" for it...like deaf in both ears (even if a hearing aid only benefits for some sounds in each ear).

I'm curious for the OP if they are in a similar situation (good hearing in the other ear?)...do you hear sounds like a stereo in one ear and hear fairly well in the other ear? This makes me want to ask a bunch of stupid questions and the forum doesn't need anymore of that.

Heh...I guess I need to go do more research on CIs now and read responses from other posters on the forum with them more than I have about CIs in general now. *goes off to lurk again* :laugh2:

Some insurance companies will qualify you as long as that one ear is profound. :dunno: I think like you, if I could hear fine out of one side, I wouldn't have got my C.I. that's for sure. :P

Some insurance companies will qualify you as long as that one ear is profound. :dunno: I think like you, if I could hear fine out of one side, I wouldn't have got my C.I. that's for sure. :P

I think this is wrong but there we go. I have friends who are bilateral profound SNHL but because they score slightly too much and I mean slightly on the speech scores, they can't get one at all!

I think this is wrong but there we go. I have friends who are bilateral profound SNHL but because they score slightly too much and I mean slightly on the speech scores, they can't get one at all!

Then again, you're in the UK where its a bugger to get CI right?

I'm talking about friends in Canada and the UK so not just the UK.

Both of which have very different systems from the US for instance. With so little to go on we have no way of knowing which of all the countries in the world the OP is from. We also don't know how the surgery, etc. was paid for which I think would make a big difference in how hard it was to get.

Back