Hi Phonak ?

LisaSAHM2Babes

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new here and I have a question. I have a pair of Phonak Savia BTEs. I am having issues with one where it seems as if there is a short. I have had these for 4 years (was fortunate to get them for free when Hubby was in the Army since my db loss was covered) I am hoping to invest in a pair of Starkey next year...if I can gather the funds :/ but back to my question.. I need this repaired and there is only one distributor locally of Phonak. Can I take it somewhere that is not a Phonak distributor? Thank you in advance, I have no idea who else to ask.

Is there any chance that you are using Duracell batteries ??? (or a "name of batteries" that is actaully made by Duracell?)

Duracell batteries OFTEN cause "shorts" and other issues with hearing aids ... I've had this happen, as has almost everyone I've known who's used Duracells!!

This is because the battery shape and air vent spacing is slightly different on Duracell batteries causing it to have (sometimes) intermittent contact with the hearing aid contacts! IT'S REALLY ANNOYING!!

I'd try switching to a different brand and manufacturer of batteries first to see if that fixes the problem - I typically use Rayovac batteries (that have been "relabelled" as "Siemens, PowerOn, etc".

Thank you for your reply! I use Energizer, I used rayovacs a while ago but they sell Energizer at BJ's here so I get more for my money. Maybe I will buy a pack elsewhere and see. I also need a new dehumidfier and was looking at the Dry and Store in hopes that would help.

Trying a different brand or even pack of batteries is a "must" - I'd had a whole PACK of batteries be intermittent etc ... even though the expiry date said they should be good. I actually like Rayovac's better ... they seem "clearer" *shrug* ... look into the cost at various audiologists and HA dispensers offices (including Costco) as they tend to be less expensive and sometimes "tax-exempt".

Absolutely get a dehumidifier - even if it's just the cheap jar with the little beads in it ... it will protect your HA from moisture damage and condensation - both of which can also cause "cutting in and out", "buzzing" etc.

Of course there may still be a problem that needs to be fixed - but batteries are a "cheap test" (and you always need batteries) and you absolutely NEED a de-humidifier of come kind anyway!!

i have constant problems with energizer batteries, like some people have had with Duracells. Try some PowerOnes or something else.
*EQL*

I do have a dehumidifier sorry I didn't notice it sounded like I didn't have one. I have one where you microwave it... it works ok but I am sure something like the Dry and Store will work much better! I didnt know about them until I got this pair... how nice it would have been to know with my two previous pairs.

I may be going to Target tonight and if so I will pick up another pack of batteries. It seems to me that there has been some corrosion :( I was really hoping for an easy fix but I guess that wont be the case unfortunately. I have already changed out the microphone covers and all so I know its not any of that. This summer was not good to my aids :ugh2:

I do have a dehumidifier sorry I didn't notice it sounded like I didn't have one. I have one where you microwave it... it works ok but I am sure something like the Dry and Store will work much better! I didnt know about them until I got this pair... how nice it would have been to know with my two previous pairs.

I may be going to Target tonight and if so I will pick up another pack of batteries. It seems to me that there has been some corrosion :( I was really hoping for an easy fix but I guess that wont be the case unfortunately. I have already changed out the microphone covers and all so I know its not any of that. This summer was not good to my aids :ugh2:

i assume you dont microwave your hearing aids, just the beads, right?
if you have corrosion, then it sounds like maybe a moisture problem corroded them, which would cause some poor connectivity between the HA and any battery. You'd have to send them back to get that fixed. Happened to me once this summer already and my are supposed to be sweat proof!! HA!
*EQL*

LOL No I dont microwave the HAs with them. With this summer SO hot I sweat more then ever so thats probably what happened :/ ugh ... I am calling a distributor around here about a payment plan for a new pair... fingers crossed!

Get the dry n store. The one with the blower. I got the Zephyr which is made by Drynstore. Whish I had the one with the blower.

Back