HI! Located in Northern NV.

jutterfly1

Reaction score
Hello deafies,

My name's Cheyenne. I will be 25 in 2 weeks. Exciting. . .not. I've lived in my hometown in NV my whole life & it's time for me to get out of here if I have had enough money to move out to California. That place that I've always wanted to live since I was around 15. My boyfriend currently resides there in Sacramento area & he has been waiting for me to move there for 2 years, lol. The reason I still haven't moved there yet is 'cause it's hard to save up while I am on SSI benefits. The problem is that I don't know anything much about SSI benefits & its rules. I don't know how to change my SSI benefits 'cause I've called a few apartments there asking to send me applications but I was told that I have to meet their income stuff like doubling up my income. 2x the rent. I don't have the 2x money to pay for the apartment. I even don't have a car of my own yet. I even don't have a permit yet. Just never had to. My town is small & I can always get rides anytime pretty much from my grandmas, my friend, & my dad. I am just tired of getting rides from them all the time 'cause I feel bad sometimes, ha.

It'll really really helpful if you could give me information about SSI benefits, apartments, etc.

Anyways, more about me. I am deaf since AFTER I was born. I was born hearing but I was born 3 months prematurely. I became deaf when I was on the oxygen tank which I had to wear for like 2 years or less. I don't know the whole story to it 'cause as far as I know that it's the oxygen tank that damaged my hearing. I also had to have surgeries so I'd stay alive!

I've had two hearing aids from when I was like 2-3 til around 10 when I had my first cochlear implant & I only wore it for about 12 years until I decided to have a surgery to remove it 'cause I was having really bad complications. I'd always get those weird/scary noises/feelings in my right ear where the cochlear implant was located at. I even had to skip classes at college due to that. It sucked so bad. I had the surgery to remove the implant in August 2007. I started wearing a hearing aid in my left ear in 2008 & have been wearing it ever since. I would never ever wear a cochlear implant again, not even the new technology that everyone might be talking about.

I grew up learning Sign Exact English & in my personal opinion, I like it better than American Sign Language. Don't get me wrong. I also would like to learn American Sign Language so I can communicate with ASL-experienced people that way I won't get left out or anything.

I went to public school my whole life. I used to have 1-2 interpreters & 3 students. One of them is my best friend for 20+ years. I was the only who taught her sign language. :) She's hard of hearing.

Since I graduated high school, I went to college for a while (2 years) but now I am not in college at the moment 'cause I've changed my major once again, haha. I am hoping to go to a better/real school in CA 'cause the college that I went to is a traditional school which isn't good for me. I changed my major from a teacher for the deaf to Vet Assistant/Massage Therapist/etc. I am not sure which I would want to take first. I'll probably take both! LOL.

In my spare time, I love watching movies/TV shows, taking pictures, modeling, hanging out with family & friends, shopping, chatting, texting, anything normal, lol. I also love listening/dancing to music. I love exercise like going swimming, bowling, running, walking, playing some sports, anything that's fun!

I am an aspiring model. I hope to be famous someday. I love modeling & have been as long as I could remember. I have a modeling profile of me on Internet.

My favorite movie genre is horror, haha. My favorite music is Escape the Fate, Black Veil Brides, etc. My favorite TV show is WEEDS! I am a huge fan of it! I am pretty obsessed with it. I am also obsessed with Nancy Botwin/Mary-Louise Parker. She's the most gorgeous woman in her 40s ever!

<3<3<3

Anything else you wanna know about me?

:)

<3 Cheyenne

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, Cheyenne. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

welcome to Alldeaf.

Sacramento is very expensive, why won't your bf move to NV?

Thank you guys!

He lived in NV with me for 8 months but moved back 'cause he hates my town here. He moved back 'cause of personal reasons.

cause I've changed my major once again, haha. I am hoping to go to a better/real school in CA 'cause the college that I went to is a traditional school which isn't good for me. I changed my major from a teacher for the deaf to Vet Assistant/Massage Therapist/etc. I am not sure which I would want to take first. I'll probably take both! LOL.
One bit of advice which I WISH I had known while in college, is to find a school with a SIZABLE dhh population. Like CSUN or SWCID (they have a paraprofessional working with dhh students program)
or Gally or NTID (which is even ORAL friendly!)

Hello, and welcome to Alldeaf. So you're from the Great Basin, eh? Fascinating place(from a geological point of view) from what I understand. I think I would like the solitude there. Some big ranches up there, too....

Yes, I went to Great Basin College. I don't like it 'cause it's hard to have an interpreter being in my classes when she has also classes to teach & she also teaches 6th grade at school. At night, she teaches ASL/SEE at college, so yeah.

Back